Debarkation: how to send more time on ship

asmith19

We're going on our first cruise soon (Carnival). I am not a big fan of waking up at 4 am, so the thought of a 6 am debarkation is not what I want after a fun-filled cruise. We're local to our return port so we don't have to worry about meeting travel connections, and we would prefer to have breakfast while others are rushing off the ship. What's the best way to have a relaxing last morning on the ship: self-assist or regular debarkation? If you go with the regular debarkation, do you HAVE to leave when they call your zone/ floor, or can you hang around on board? Is there any order to debarkation (low floors, high floors, etc.)? If you self-assist, is there a time that is better/ worse for avoiding crowds? If this is a stupid question, I'm sorry but I just don't know! :o Thanks for ANY advice you can provide!!

No body necessarily knows what number you are, so you don't have to leave when they call your number. You may just want to keep your number and get off anytime your ready. The only thing is, breakfast hours might limit you and you have to leave your cabin fairly early. You may be itching to get off the cruise earlier than you think

Hi-

The lastest you will probably be able to spend on board is until 10am...maybe 10:30 at the very latest. They have to get ready for their next sailing because the next group of people will probably start boarding before noon. I have actually never stayed onboard until the last minute but believe you will have to be out of your room at 8...maybe 8:30am since your room steward need to get in there and start cleaning.

The best thing to do is get up and head to the lido deck and have a leisurely breakfast and just kind of hang out there or in one of the places that they have set aside to wait until your zone is called. If you are in no hurry to leave most likely you will have one of the last zones anyway...

Self debarkment is designed for those that hardly have no lugggage and have an early flight or what not and don't have time to search for lugggage. If you are not in a hurry there is no point of doing that unless you just really want to keep all your luggage with you. If you are among the last to leave finding you lugggage won't be an issue since everyone else already grab theirs. If there are backups at customs there is a potential you get stuck in customs lines...

Just a warning that the last morning is not very fun.....Everything is basically shut down, there are loud annoncements...etc...I look at the last morning as to eat and get off the ship day...the staff is very friendly but you can pretty much tell the vacation is over and they want you off..haha

So yeah, if you kind of just want to hang out and watch everyone else get off the ship you will be free to do that and just get a late zone #.

Have a great trip!

About the latest you'll be allowed to stay is 10 am or so...they want the ship emptied so the next batch of vacationers can board.

You don't have to rise at 4am.....but breakfast is earlier than on the other days, and any and all "service" you've gotten used to will be quite absent! Don't expect relaxation on the last morning.

Simply do self assist. You will have all of your belongings with you and will leave when they order all ashore. That is usually about 9:30-10:00AM. Or ask your steward for the highest number debarkation tag. There is normally plenty of time for breakfast on the lido while the ship is pulling in at 7AM.

Hi-

The lastest you will probably be able to spend on board is until 10am...maybe 10:30 at the very latest. They have to get ready for their next sailing because the next group of people will probably start boarding before noon. I have actually never stayed onboard until the last minute but believe you will have to be out of your room at 8...maybe 8:30am since your room steward need to get in there and start cleaning.

The best thing to do is get up and head to the lido deck and have a leisurely breakfast and just kind of hang out there or in one of the places that they have set aside to wait until your zone is called. If you are in no hurry to leave most likely you will have one of the last zones anyway...

Thank you to EVERYONE for the helpful posts! :D That really helps us to know how to not be caught up in the rush of leaving. Even though we know the last day isn't fun, at least it won't be a 100 mph mad rush!

I think we will ask for a high number for our debarkation. That gives us time to be out of our rooms by 8 am, call for a cab, have a leisurely breakfast (assuming the food is still out at 7:30/ 8:00 am!!), snap a few last pics, and head home. Ahhhhh.....:)

That gives us time to be out of our rooms by 8 am, call for a cab, have a leisurely breakfast (assuming the food is still out at 7:30/ 8:00 am!!), snap a few last pics, and head home. Ahhhhh.....:)

You won't need to call for a cab...there's always a neverending lineup of them. They board up, take the passengers where they need to go and turn around and come back to the dock for the next set of passengers.

Have a great time!!!

Don't do self assist. If you do that, you're schlepping your bags all over the place and that's a pain. You'll have to be out of your cabin by 8, and I'm not sure you'd want to be dragging all your luggage all over the place until 10.

• 2 weeks later...

I know on Carnival, at least at the Miami cruiseport, it works very well. The last night of the cruise you put luggage out in the hallway you want to "check" and you will be able to use the turnstile thingys like at the airport.

So if you are not in a rush, take your carry-off luggage with you to the Lido deck and relax.

There are porters at the turnstile things that can assist you if you have alot of luggage, and generally a small tip (5-10 bucks) is usually reasonable.

A little note, the last couple times I used the porter, and going past the customs guy I never got checked for anything. Had I known this I would have bought much more liquor and cigarettes. (dirt cheap in the Caribbean!) I had just merely bought the "listed maximum."

• 2 weeks later...
I know on Carnival, at least at the Miami cruiseport, it works very well. The last night of the cruise you put luggage out in the hallway you want to "check" and you will be able to use the turnstile thingys like at the airport.

So if you are not in a rush, take your carry-off luggage with you to the Lido deck and relax.

There are porters at the turnstile things that can assist you if you have alot of luggage, and generally a small tip (5-10 bucks) is usually reasonable.

A little note, the last couple times I used the porter, and going past the customs guy I never got checked for anything. Had I known this I would have bought much more liquor and cigarettes. (dirt cheap in the Caribbean!) I had just merely bought the "listed maximum."

Same thing happened with us with the porter today...we went through without being checked by Customs.

Archived