Allure/Oasis, Freedom or Disney Fantasy for Family Cruise?

quadman

My DW and two DD's cruised on Jewel of the Seas (Eastern Caribbean) in 2006, along with 5 other extended family members, and we loved it! Jewel brings the outside in with its amazing windows in almost all public areas. We chose it over the Voyager class because of this (didn't want to spend time in a "mall" with fluorescent lighting). We had a JS cabin that was just right in size for us then. Our waiters and room steward were FABULOUS! We loved fixed dining as it makes it so easy for a large group to gather over dinner with no waiting, and we loved how our waiters got to know each of our preferences (by the second night they new our then 2 year-old loved PB&J as an appetizer).

We're now looking at an April 2012 cruise (Western or Eastern Caribbean) and are comparing Allure, Oasis, or Freedom of the Seas, and Disney Fantasy. The girls will be 11 and 8 and still love Disney princesses and characters. DW and I want good food, good service, and happy kids, and it appears from the boards that RCI's food quality and the level of small touches (turndown service with chocolates on the pillow, shampoo and lotion in the cabin, upcharges for steak in the MDR, etc.) might have declined over the past couple of years.

I typically spend 2 hours per day for 3-6 months researching the options before booking a cruise (I know it sounds crazy but I'm a CC addict). We are relatively easy-going folks who can have a good time on most vacations, but given our time is valuable, we want to optimize the cruise experience. Almost always, my research leads us back to Royal Caribbean (conclusions seem to be HAL caters to the elderly, Princess is nice but dull, Carnival too "Vegas-like", Celebrity too stuffy, etc.).

Would anyone here who has cruised on either Oasis or Allure, AND Freedom, AND Disney Dream comment on the differences in food, entertainment, service, and amenities amont these ships? Even if you have cruised for a week on Disney Wonder or Disney Magic, I would greatly appreciate reading your observations on the comparitive elements about these ships. We only get to cruise once every 3-5 years, and the kids are growing up, so we really want to hear what people think about DCL vs. RCI. Thank you so much!

You should wait until next week to get your answers. Disney Dream hasn't set sail yet. It get christened on Wednesday.

I sailed Oasis and I'm set to sail on Allure in March. I've done Disney 7 times. Allure has the best of both worlds because it has characters on board. However, if you like the outdoors brought inside, this might not be the ship for you. Since there is a hole n the middle of the ship from front to back, you can't see the ocean from most of the public areas uniless you are on the pool deck or in a restaurant. Even in the restaurants, its usually night and you can't see out. But it has many many other charms.

Disney Dream is so expensive! The cost of a 4 night cruise is about the same as a 7 night on Allure. Freedom is the biggest bang for the buck if its a cost issue. It has most of what Allure/ Oasis has minus the aqua theater and central park. Central Park is nice to look at, but you won't spend much time there. The boardwalk is just eye candy on the way to the aqua show.

Just hang in there and wait until the Dream reviews.

My DW and two DD's cruised on Jewel of the Seas (Eastern Caribbean) in 2006, along with 5 other extended family members, and we loved it! Jewel brings the outside in with its amazing windows in almost all public areas. We chose it over the Voyager class because of this (didn't want to spend time in a "mall" with fluorescent lighting).

Im curious - what makes you think Voyager class is a mall with fluorescent lighting?

I've sailed Freedom, Oasis, and Allure. I'm sailing Disney Dream next month, but I've been on Disney Wonder. They were all good cruises and I'd be hard pressed to differentiate them, and my reasons may not matter to you. I will say that Oasis and Allure offer an amazing, unparalleled experience in terms of what the ship has to offer.

Disney is usually tops in entertainment for me, and I'd still say that's true even given the improved experience on Oasis & Allure. You might find the Dreamworks experience on Allure to be of interest.

The food to me was pretty comparable across all ships. I do prefer Castaway Cay over RCI's private destinations; it has more to offer IMO.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of your options.

I have sailed the Allure, Liberty (Freedom's sister), and Disney Magic. I love all three, and agree that you would have a great time, here are my thoughts:

I would do the Disney trip now because your kids are almost too old to appreciate the magic. Although there were characters on the Allure, it really was not the same. The shows were, obviously, aimed more to adults than kids. If it were me I would do Disney now, and then Allure later. Freedom is a great ship at a good price, but the Allure has everything the Freedom has and more. Therefore if price is not an issue, the Allure would win. The downside of the Allure is the limitations in itinerary. You may be tired of its ports of call.

I have done Disney twice, and I wouldn't go on the Magic or Wonder again because it would be repeating the same things too much. But I am looking forward to going on Disney's new ships, and I plan to do so even though I won't get my C&A benefits.

To be clear, I loved the Allure, and I plan to sail on it several more times. I just think that your kids are in the last years to really appreciate the Disney magic.

GMoney - I oversimplified my explanation of Voyager, but when researching these boards in 2005, many cruisers commented on how the Royal Promenade was not well-connected to the outside via windows and had the feel of a small shopping mall, whereas the Radiance class ships had so much more outward visibility and natural light streaming in. I realize the Freedom class has a similar Royal Promenade to the Voyager class, but it also seems to offer a great waterpark and a slightly better overall amenities.

katycab - You make a great point about my daughters growing up and soon past the Disney "magic" age range. One very interesting point, however, is that April 2012 Disney Fantasy Caribbean cruise pricing seems to be running in the $6,800 range for a cat. 4A cabin (Deluxe Family Oceanview Stateroom with Veranda). It jumped up siginificantly since yesterday (was at or under $6,000). The same date on Disney Magic Mexican Riviera cruise is pricing out at $5,585 (about $1,200 less than the Caribbean cruise). yesterday the Magic pricing was higher and has dropped a bit.

On Allure for April 8, 2012 Western Caribbean, a JS on Allure pricing out at $8,060 (went up today). Same weekend departure on Oasis is $7,860 and on Freedom (Eastern Caribbean ) it's $6,196. All up from yesterday! Must have been either a general increase today or a great 2-day pricing offer that just ended.

We live in L.A. but would rather cruise the Caribbean, except for the cost and hassle of flying to Ft. Lauderdale or Orlando.

Tough choices! My family and I were on the Oasis in November....we have also been on the Disney Wonder and Magic. We all agreed that our Oasis cruise tops them all! There is just so much to do on Oasis & Allure...plus the major pool areas are separated into different areas...not like on Disney ships. My one complaint about Disney cruises is the sheer number of kids in the pools. The pools are way too small for the amount of children that sail on those ships. Unfortunately that problem has not been addressed with the Dream or Fantasy. Pictures from the preview cruises show the same small pools. On seas days you could not even see any water in the pools....just bodies all scrunched together trying to swim and play. I will say that I love the Disney shows.....they really are top-notch. Loved the shows on Oasis as did my 8 year old daughter. Because we live only 30 minutes from WDW and visit very often....the characters on the Disney ships do not hold that much of an appeal to us. Yes, we like to take a look at them as we go by, but my kids have no inclination to wait in a 20+ minute line to have their picture taken or an autograph.

An April 2012 cruise on the Disney Fantasy will be pricey because the Inaugural is March 31 ( I think...)....so everyone wants to sail her . If you are seriously thinking about a cruise on the Fantasy you will need to book soon if you have a certain cabin in mind.

I don't have much input on the Freedom of the Seas as I have only sailed on the Adventure....and have an upcoming cruise on the Navigator.

I think it's really all a matter of personal opinion as to which ship would best suit your family. For my family....I would not hesitate to book another cruise aboard the Oasis or Allure. We also plan to try out the Disney Dream as soon as a last minute booking is available (cast member rates).

After reading what I have written I do not think I was much help! Maybe get brochures for both Oasis/Allure and Dream/Fantasy and go over them with your girls. My kids loved looking at the Oasis brochure and checking out all of the neat things onboard. I then copied a few Adventure Ocean schedules for my 8 year old so she could see the different activities offered onboard. You should be able to find some Disney Dream kid's club info in a couple of weeks. Sit down, look them over....see what they think.

Have fun!

I'm not going to be much help either, but I'm going to tell you how my children feel. ;)f

Our family LOVES Disney World, and we've also recently learned that we LOVE cruising too! On our last Disney trip (October 2010), I asked my kids if they'd rather be back on the Freedom or go to Disney. FREEDOM was their choice! I was AMAZED!

My girls LOVE Disney movies, princesses, theme parks, etc., but they don't talk about it "all" the time. Cruising, on the other hand, they have talked about quite frequently since they went last January. So, perhaps it's time for our family to do a Disney cruise as well?! LOL

Ultimately, you're going to have to make a choice that fits your family's needs. If money isn't an issue, then I'd say go with the dream while the kids are young and the ship is new. As others have said, the magic doesn't always last forever. On the other hand, Oasis/Allure seems to be very family friendly with so many things to do. Then again, Freedom has a great value! And, if you wait until after March (after her dry dock), then she'll have even more bells and whistles to increase the enjoyment of your family.

Decisions, decisions. Good luck, and please keep us posted!

GMoney - I oversimplified my explanation of Voyager, but when researching these boards in 2005, many cruisers commented on how the Royal Promenade was not well-connected to the outside via windows and had the feel of a small shopping mall, whereas the Radiance class ships had so much more outward visibility and natural light streaming in. I realize the Freedom class has a similar Royal Promenade to the Voyager class, but it also seems to offer a great waterpark and a slightly better overall amenities.

katycab - You make a great point about my daughters growing up and soon past the Disney "magic" age range. One very interesting point, however, is that April 2012 Disney Fantasy Caribbean cruise pricing seems to be running in the $6,800 range for a cat. 4A cabin (Deluxe Family Oceanview Stateroom with Veranda). It jumped up siginificantly since yesterday (was at or under $6,000). The same date on Disney Magic Mexican Riviera cruise is pricing out at $5,585 (about $1,200 less than the Caribbean cruise). yesterday the Magic pricing was higher and has dropped a bit.

On Allure for April 8, 2012 Western Caribbean, a JS on Allure pricing out at $8,060 (went up today). Same weekend departure on Oasis is $7,860 and on Freedom (Eastern Caribbean ) it's $6,196. All up from yesterday! Must have been either a general increase today or a great 2-day pricing offer that just ended.

We live in L.A. but would rather cruise the Caribbean, except for the cost and hassle of flying to Ft. Lauderdale or Orlando.

What about Disney cruise wonder based in L.A.?

Just wonder...

Scottishwee35

My DW and two DD's cruised on Jewel of the Seas (Eastern Caribbean) in 2006, along with 5 other extended family members, and we loved it! Jewel brings the outside in with its amazing windows in almost all public areas. We chose it over the Voyager class because of this (didn't want to spend time in a "mall" with fluorescent lighting). We had a JS cabin that was just right in size for us then. Our waiters and room steward were FABULOUS! We loved fixed dining as it makes it so easy for a large group to gather over dinner with no waiting, and we loved how our waiters got to know each of our preferences (by the second night they new our then 2 year-old loved PB&J as an appetizer).

We're now looking at an April 2012 cruise (Western or Eastern Caribbean) and are comparing Allure, Oasis, or Freedom of the Seas, and Disney Fantasy. The girls will be 11 and 8 and still love Disney princesses and characters. DW and I want good food, good service, and happy kids, and it appears from the boards that RCI's food quality and the level of small touches (turndown service with chocolates on the pillow, shampoo and lotion in the cabin, upcharges for steak in the MDR, etc.) might have declined over the past couple of years.

I typically spend 2 hours per day for 3-6 months researching the options before booking a cruise (I know it sounds crazy but I'm a CC addict). We are relatively easy-going folks who can have a good time on most vacations, but given our time is valuable, we want to optimize the cruise experience. Almost always, my research leads us back to Royal Caribbean (conclusions seem to be HAL caters to the elderly, Princess is nice but dull, Carnival too "Vegas-like", Celebrity too stuffy, etc.).

Would anyone here who has cruised on either Oasis or Allure, AND Freedom, AND Disney Dream comment on the differences in food, entertainment, service, and amenities amont these ships? Even if you have cruised for a week on Disney Wonder or Disney Magic, I would greatly appreciate reading your observations on the comparitive elements about these ships. We only get to cruise once every 3-5 years, and the kids are growing up, so we really want to hear what people think about DCL vs. RCI. Thank you so much!

Hard decisions....

My brother went to Oasis last July and he love it very much and want go back again...

I have been disney cruise for 4th times and it is my favourite also been on Carnival but I prefer Disney best...

but now I feel that I want something different... I booked rcci Freedoms of the sea for my kids this April...

I booked disney cruise dummy dates but I think I am going to cancel it as I booked deafworldcruise with Epic or Allure in 2013...

something I like different but my favourite is Disney Cruise I think my kids grown up now maybe they need more actitivies on rcci ...

I wait and see in April if i like Freedom

Scottishwee35

Thanks, Scottishwee! We are now looking at Disney Fantasy in June 2012 (so we can coordinate with another family whose kids' have different dates for spring break). If our friends and we can sort out the air fare, etc., we'll shoot for Fantasy. If not, we'll have to weigh options out of L.A. in June or a more affordable cruise on RCI (although it looks as of now that only Oasis and Allure sail out of FL in June, per RCI's calendar). We've thought about trying Princess, but it doesn't seem to be as kid-friendly as RCI.

I was on the Oasis last August and the Disney Magic the year before that. We are also scheduled to do Freedom this August and the new Disney Fantasy in August of 2012. My boys are 13 and 6, so I'll tell you their thoughts on all the cruises.

Disney Magic was amazing for both. My oldest was 11 at the time and went to the pre-teen area (can't remember the name it's called). I barely saw him the whole trip except for dinner and shows. My youngest loved the pool areas, but also enjoyed his kids area too. Favorite part for him was the water slide. Both enjoyed the amazing shows and the different restaurants.

Oasis of the Sea. This ship has everything, including a carousel and aqua show. My oldest LOVES THIS ship. He made so many friends that he still keeps in contact with even now. My youngest never wanted to leave the kids area, so I would say he loved it too.:D Shows were good, but the Disney shows are a little better. No water slide like on the Magic and the splash zone was a bit crowded at times, but he loved shooting the water cannons. Major downside are the towels. Magic, you can get however many towels you wanted and no one kept track of them. Oasis, they count the towels they give you and will charge $20 each if not returned. But that's pretty much it.

My kids enjoyed Castaway Cay and weren't fond of Labadee at all. Major problem was the beach itself. If you go in the water, make sure you walk the long trail to the last half of the beach in labadee. First half is filled with coral and rocks at least 60 feet out in the ocean (knee length deep the whole way). You HAVE to get floating mats in order to enjoy the water. Oh, and bring water shoes too. If you go to the other half, you shouldn't have any problems, but that half was very crowded and with good reason. If you do excursions or go to the floating playground (forgot the name), than you're kids will have a blast on labadee.

Either cruise, you're kids will love regardless. My oldest will be 15 when we go on the Fantasy next year and he is still excited about it. You're never too old for a little Disney fun and the pre-teen and teen rooms are geered for their ages, so they don't feel like it's a "kiddie" ship. But, if you want to save money, go on the Oasis or Freedom and save the Fanstasy for another time. ;)

Good info, mibarron! As far as the pricing goes, we were spoiled on our first cruise with Junior Suite on JOS. I'm a big guy (6'2" and about 260) and we tend to overpack, so the walk-in closet, extra living area, bathtub, and larger balcony all worked great for us. Going forward on RCI, it will be either a JS or GS for our group of 4 (girls still too young to be in an adjoining room). We are looking at $6,500 to $8,300 for a 7-day fare, plus all the many extras and about $2,000 in air fare from LAX to FLL or MCO. We hope to travel with another family we know who are a lot like us (a big dad with a wife and two daughters - not likely to fit well in a basic cabin). Disney Fantasy might work out best for us this time as there are good-sized non-balcony cabins available (except they are already booking up fast for June 2012).

Good info, mibarron! As far as the pricing goes, we were spoiled on our first cruise with Junior Suite on JOS. I'm a big guy (6'2" and about 260) and we tend to overpack, so the walk-in closet, extra living area, bathtub, and larger balcony all worked great for us.

That's a good thing, because on the Oasis Boardwalk Balcony, we had minimal closet and drawer space for just me and 2 boys, and I tend to pack pretty minimal, using the laundry service (Magic has self-service laundry). That's why I got a GS on our Freedom cruise in August this year. Disney Magic balcony room had ample space and was a little larger compared to the Oasis.

We had a similiar situation last week as I finally conviced DH to book. It was between Oasis/Allure 7 days, Liberty 5 days, or 2 days in Disney and a 3 day Disney Dream. The kids will be 11 and 9 both girls. We decided on the Liberty because of the flowrider, the ports and overall the price. The kids and I made out a pro and con list and they decided the Aquaduck on Disney would get old after a few times. And they have already out grown the Disney characters. We live in MN and have the Waterpark of America close by and they love the flowrider there. We were also able to get an aft corner balcony which from reading on here is the same size as a JS for the price of a cat. D1.

A little backround DH and I have done 4/5 RCCL with the Navigator being the biggest and and the Disney Magic no kids and the Wonder with the kids at ages 5 and 7. And have done Disney World twice with the kids and are done with that.

Good Luck with your decision really you can't make a wrong one, as any cruisse is better than none.

Thanks, Scottishwee! We are now looking at Disney Fantasy in June 2012 (so we can coordinate with another family whose kids' have different dates for spring break). If our friends and we can sort out the air fare, etc., we'll shoot for Fantasy. If not, we'll have to weigh options out of L.A. in June or a more affordable cruise on RCI (although it looks as of now that only Oasis and Allure sail out of FL in June, per RCI's calendar). We've thought about trying Princess, but it doesn't seem to be as kid-friendly as RCI.

Freedom sails out of Port Canveral, the dates have just not been released for summer 2012 yet

I have sailed the Allure, Liberty (Freedom's sister), and Disney Magic. I love all three, and agree that you would have a great time, here are my thoughts:

I would do the Disney trip now because your kids are almost too old to appreciate the magic. Although there were characters on the Allure, it really was not the same. The shows were, obviously, aimed more to adults than kids. If it were me I would do Disney now, and then Allure later. Freedom is a great ship at a good price, but the Allure has everything the Freedom has and more. Therefore if price is not an issue, the Allure would win. The downside of the Allure is the limitations in itinerary. You may be tired of its ports of call.

I have done Disney twice, and I wouldn't go on the Magic or Wonder again because it would be repeating the same things too much. But I am looking forward to going on Disney's new ships, and I plan to do so even though I won't get my C&A benefits.

To be clear, I loved the Allure, and I plan to sail on it several more times. I just think that your kids are in the last years to really appreciate the Disney magic.

I agree with this sentiment completely. We loved Disney and sailed her when the kids were younger. Now, they enjoy the RCCL experience...all part of cruising as a family!

Quadman,

we have sailed many RCCL ships (though never a freedom class) we have most recently sailed allure and oasis. Have also sailed Disney Magic and Wonder. Considering Disney Dream has not yet had its official Maiden voyage, i believe you will be hard pressed to find someone who has sailed her in addition to the rest.

That being said, here is my take.

we are big Fans of RCCL, though we live right near disney. the quality of the food on these ships has gone down a bit over time, but that is not of primary importance to us. Quite frankly we very rarely even eat in the main dining room. We like the ships, the crews and the activities more. the food is secondary.

Disney ships, crew and activities are also quite good, however, as has been stated earlier, you will pay top dollar for disney (especially the new ships). What you get for that is tremendous shows, visits with the disney characters and princesses, fireworks (most likely as they do it on wonder and magic), very cool dining rooms, better food, better private island and phenominal kids program. on the down side - high volume of kids and no casino (if you are into that).

On the oasis class ships you get more choices of eating venues and shows. more activities - i believe the kids program is pretty good, but my kids are older so we did not use that. If you have younger kids and like the idea of characters, Allure of the seas has the dreamworks characters and shows popping up all over the place all week. the costumes are super and the shows are good. i believe you will get more for your money on these ships than disney. but nothing can truely replace the disney experience.

hope this helps a bit. if you have specific quesitons about the 2, plese let me know.

my neighbor works for disney and just came back form a "practice" cruise for the crew on Disney Dream- lucky guy... i can ask him about anything you might have questions about.

Not sure you can do apples to apples. The Dream is quite a bit smaller than the Freedom ~600 fewer staterooms; ~60 ft narrower; ~24,000 lbs lighter, but they're both spec'd for ~4,000 passengers. While I like Disney ships, the thing that they seem to lack is public space. Other than the pool deck, there's not a lot of roaming/lounging/people watching space on a Disney ship.

Archived