Excursions through Oceania - Issue

macbest

Does it seem odd to everyone that Oceania only allows you to book their "package" of tours through the website in advance? You can't book any of the individual excursions like you can on many other cruise lines. The problem is that unless you wanted to make no decisions on your own, the package doesn't have the excursions you would most like to take.

As a result, each passenger has to rush on board to try and get the excursions they want. This is a terrible way to get a trip started especially when we are all that much more connected and can plan accordingly in advance.

We are going on the August 3 Insignia Athens to Barcelona trip and are concerned about not getting tickets for some of these excursions (places that we will not likely be able to go back to in our lifetime) and would be really disappointed.

We have been on three Oceania cruises. We have done a mixture of private tours and Oceania destination service tours. We have NEVER had a problem signing up for any of Oceania's tours, be it day 1 or further along in the cruise. The only time we had a problem with a tour we signed up for was when it was cancelled due to lack of interest (Corfu). We were able to book another tour with no issues.

I've been on two Oceania cruises and only Igazu Falls got booked up where they could take no others. This is because it involves flights and a hotel and It's the one tour that had to be prebooked.

JFB and Jane:

I'm glad to hear that it wasn't too much trouble to get the excursions you wanted. I wonder, however, was the ship very full when you went? I'm hearing that the cruises over the summer will be packed and wondered if the "you can get what you want" will still hold true.

Thanks for your feedback.

On all three cruises that we were on the ship was sold out. Yet we had no difficulty. There are some ports where I would recommend smaller private tours of 1- 4 couples. For example we did that in Athens, Amalfi and Rhodes on our last cruise and used Red October in St. Petersburg, Russia on our earlier cruise last summer. Some ports like Mykonos and Dubrovnik lent themselves to doing our own thing and we just hired a taxi or walked around places where we had spent some time in the past like Amsterdam, Copenhagen, Stockholm and Brugges.

As others have stated if Oceania requires you to sign up prior to boarding there could be an issue. Otherwise relax and you will get your tours.

Perhaps if Oceania called this problematic department "Shore Excursions Sales Desk" instead of "Destination Services", we'd have more realistic expectations.

On the Venice to Athens cruise last October, we really like dthat someone from the tourist office was on the ship at each port to answer questions and supply maps, walking tours, etc.

Wayne,

On both our cruises, the ship was full and still no problem with availability.

On our South American cruise a few weeks ago, 3 of our private cruises were cancelled while aboard ship (long story, don't ask) and had no problem booking a ship's tour 36 hours in advance. We didn't like the ship's tour, so we didn't book anymore, however there was space available.

We did have destination services book a private tour for 8 of us. We got an excellent guide but it was very pricey - much more than if we had done it on our own. However with our pre-arranged private tours being cancelled, we didn't have time to seek out something else.

Andee,

I don't know if your suggestion was serious or tongue-in-cheek when you suggested renaming the dept. the Shore Excursions Sales Desk instead of Destination Services. I think any cruiseline has a responsibility to it's passengers to have knowledge of port information in the same way that a hotel you're staying in, knows the "lay of the land" as well as can book a package tour for guests.

I also wouldn't count on destinations services giving you any "real' information about the ports other than the certain tours they are selling.

It was nice to have local folks on the ship in the ports on 2/2 South America cruise.. but in one port the local gal was telling everyone that shops were open in the "town".. and even went so far as to write down the name of the store for some folks..also saying take cabs it is very far to walk...

We had ventured out to find the "town" by cab.. and back at the ship in about 5 minutes (what was the Town was closed - it was holiday) and the store that was open was a grocery store /pharmacy..

Cab wanted 10 dollars for the round trip/ we gave him 7 which was way to much for the 2 1/2 min. each way ride.. and told everyone who was around to 4get it..

also told the gal to stop sending evryone into a No town..

As far as hiring your own guides.. that IS the way to go..

P.S. Andee -that is the correct name for them..

Sounds like whatever the shore services department is called, it is time for a housecleaning, starting at the top! There just isn't any excuse for a shore director not being informed about the few stops on a ship's itinerary, even if they have never been there. Heck, check the internet!

I agree that it would be preferable if cruise lines provided information about the ports. And I thought Oceania made an admirable effort in that area by providing a local expert in every port. We found them very helpful, and were glad for the maps, walking tours, and advice.

But I can understand that their goal is for the "Destination Services" to be a profit center. If it was named to accurately reflect their intent, passengers would have more realistic expectations.

Interestingly, I would call their air deviation department a profit center also. I am unable to do a deviation of any type without an "up charge". I'm sure others have posted that they had no additional charge, but I'm guessing that they did not travel during the summer. What is bad is that they don't tell you what the charge is unless you submit what deviations you want. I would like to go out early and return late from my original itinerary (2 days each end) and they are charging over $1000 for 4 people! They claim "free air" but if you live on the west coast, you pay the difference and then some.

Given what others have written about alcohol charges, this seems like a profit center also. While I understand what it takes to make a buck, I'm certainly seeing a trend here.

On October, we were able to do air deviation and pick our flights without any charge beyond the $50, but as you say, it may be different in the summer.

The part of Oceania's alcohol policy that I like is letting passengers bring alcohol on board. We really enjoy having drinks in our room before dinner and before bed. The message boards for the other lines are full of "how do I smuggle alcohol on board" questions.

We have been to Corfu twice, once on an excursion the other time we did it on our own. I enjoyed the day "on our own" better. It is a wonderful port to walk around and enjoy the people, the sights and the shops.

Destination Services was just ok with helping, but the local that came onboard in every port was the best information. They would almost always supply you with a map and brochures, it was very very helpful.

Interestingly, I would call their air deviation department a profit center also. I am unable to do a deviation of any type without an "up charge". I'm sure others have posted that they had no additional charge, but I'm guessing that they did not travel during the summer. What is bad is that they don't tell you what the charge is unless you submit what deviations you want. I would like to go out early and return late from my original itinerary (2 days each end) and they are charging over $1000 for 4 people! They claim "free air" but if you live on the west coast, you pay the difference and then some.

Given what others have written about alcohol charges, this seems like a profit center also. While I understand what it takes to make a buck, I'm certainly seeing a trend here.

$250 per person does not seem to me to be unreasonable to get the EXACT itinerary that YOU want for the dates that you want.... rather than being at the mercy of the ship arrangements ..

• 1 month later...

I was told by my TA that the deviation would cost $50 PP for the Nov Athens to Signapore cruise of the Nautical.

Sent in my detailed itinerary and they told me to re-submit in July.

Anyone else have experience? Is it $50 or $250 PP?

Thanks,

Don W.

I was told by my TA that the deviation would cost $50 PP for the Nov Athens to Signapore cruise of the Nautical.

Sent in my detailed itinerary and they told me to re-submit in July.

Anyone else have experience? Is it $50 or $250 PP?

Thanks,

Don W.

It is $50.00 per person to request the deviation.

You submit to them the flights that you would like to get ( that work for you, with your schedule).

They will try to get that flight for you. If that costs more than what their flight arrangements for you would cost them, had they made them , they would want you to pay the difference.It may not cost anymore than the $50 - but it can.

We were on a Western Med cruise last September. The ship was full. We had studied the offered excursions and knew what we wanted to book. As soon as we got on board, we filled in the Shore Excursion Order Form and dropped it at Destination Services. By the time we had finished eating dinner that night, we had our tickets.

We discovered we had some wrong tickets. We don't know if we checked the wrong block or if Destination Service had made the error. In any case, we returned the tickets the next morning and got the correct tickets.

From what we could see, Destination Services would add additional tours wherever possible. Oceania also brought local folks on board at most ports to provide maps and information.

Archived