Can I Use My VISA Points?

My husband and I have not used the points on our RCI VISA for a really long time, and now we have enough to get a lot of money off our next cruise. We've noticed that private travel companies on the web seem to offer the best deals for cruises. If we book with a private company, can we use our VISA points somehow?

My husband and I have not used the points on our RCI VISA for a really long time, and now we have enough to get a lot of money off our next cruise. We've noticed that private travel companies on the web seem to offer the best deals for cruises. If we book with a private company, can we use our VISA points somehow?

everyone charges the same. There is no discounting.

Yes you can use your visa points anytime, but a TA won't like it

Yes, you can use your Visa points any time. We just used some for an OBC and used others for this up coming cruise for a free companion fare. My TA did not have a problem with it. I handled the points redemption directly with Royal. Did not have to go through my TA for redeeming the points.

If you are using the points to make a large payment on the cruise, I would think that this would not have an effect on the TA's commission if they get one.

You should ask any TA that you plan to book with about their policies before making the booking. A few years ago I had a TA who wouldn't accept the Visa point coupons for $$$ off on a cruise because he said they do reduce his commission. I was still an inexperienced cruiser then so did not think to ask about Visa points, C&A coupons, C&A balcony discounts, price drops, etc. before I booked. I used the points coupon for OBC and considered it a learning experience. I'm not a TA so I do not know for certain whether their commission is reduced or not. I think one of the TA's who posts on this board mentioned one time that it does, but I don't think I would be able to find that post anymore.

You should ask any TA that you plan to book with about their policies before making the booking. A few years ago I had a TA who wouldn't accept the Visa point coupons for $$$ off on a cruise because he said they do reduce his commission. I was still an inexperienced cruiser then so did not think to ask about Visa points, C&A coupons, C&A balcony discounts, price drops, etc. before I booked. I used the points coupon for OBC and considered it a learning experience. I'm not a TA so I do not know for certain whether their commission is reduced or not. I think one of the TA's who posts on this board mentioned one time that it does, but I don't think I would be able to find that post anymore.
Yes, ask! We had the same experience. TA said they did not have to take the coupon and we could cancel if we wanted without penalty BUT rates had gone up on our cabin so rebooking with someone else or direct would have cost more. So be sure to ask and explain what your doing to avoid hassles.

BonVoyage

Dawna

Archived