Boston-1 Day pre-cruise What should we do?

teacherplus

We will be doing the same thing for a New England/Canada cruise in October. I will be interested to see what recommendations you get. Also have you decided on a place to stay Friday night? I am starting my research and not sure if we should stay near the terminal and take transportation into the city the day before, or the other way around. Stay in town and take transportation to the terminal Saturday morning. What are you going to do?

The very best deal out there for 9/30/11 is the 3 1/2* hotel on Hotwire for $104 + tax - this has appeared consistently and has always been the Sheraton. Folks who bid Priceline have gotten this hotel for $95 + tax. The next best Hotwire hotel is the Waterfront 4* hotel for $165 + tax. If you are flying into Boston and want to sightsee, then you really need a centrally located hotel - most of the airport hotels are in Revere, Saugus, or Chelsea.

teacherplus - we can give lots of recommendations as to what to do, but we need to know where you are staying. If you fly in Friday and sail Saturday, then you really only have 1/2 day Fri and 1/2 day Sat to do things in Boston. You may be able to get a hoho trolley price that includes 2 days. Some folks like to walk the Freedom Trail. Others like to go to the Constitution or Fenway Park. Fanueil Hall is a popular destination.

teacherplus - did you make a nonrefundable reservation at the Holiday Inn? If not, please seriously consider the other suggestions I made.

You will have to take the Red Line to Park St, which is the start of the Freedom Trail. The first part of the trail is the best walking. If you want to go to the Constitution, I suggest taking the MBTA water taxi from Long Wharf (Aquarium/Faneuil Hall) to Charlestown instead of walking ($1.70/pp each way). You can then just walk a loop through the North End rather than following the trail to the Constitution. If you feel you must walk the entire trail, I would also recommend the water taxi as a good way back to the Faneuil Hall area - it's a really inexpensive cruise of the harbor.

The Red line will also take you to Harvard Square.

It's not that the hotel is bad. I'm just not a fan of the location - there's nothing there. When you step out of the hotel, you have to take the Red Line to get to the action. If you're not used to an urban area, you could find the South Boston location offputting. You only have two 1/2 days and one evening in Boston - you should stay someplace more centrally located that has restaurants and evening activities close by. As I said before, the hoho bus stops near the Sheraton and you might be able to buy a ticket that would give you two days. What are you paying for the Holiday Inn?

A free hotel is a free hotel - that's the best deal of all! You will do fine and will have a great time. From your hotel you will be riding the Red Line. When you first go in the station, see if you can find a "T" worker who can give you a Charlie Card - this will allow you to pay $1.70/ride instead of $2.00. On the subway you can do a free transfer where the lines intersect - take a look at the map http://www.mbta.com/uploadedfiles/Documents/Schedules_and_Maps/Subway/Rapid%20Map.pdf From the Red Line the big transfer points are South Station for the Silver Line (this will go to the port on the SL2), Downtown Crossing for the Orange Line, and Park St. for the Green Line Trolley. The Red Line also goes to Harvard Sq. The start of the Freedom Trail is near Park St.

• 2 weeks later...

The Holiday Inn on Boston St. .. very poor location , almost next to expressway, again poor location. You will need to take a cab anywhere ...to go into Boston , to / from pier.

For a others , Marriott Long Wharf .. nice location ,nice hotel , walking distance to Fan. Hall ... 5 min. cab to black falcon.

• 3 weeks later...

Some of my favorite things to do in Boston to get a taste of the city:

*A Duck Tour takes you by land and water around some of the sights. The Duck Tour leave from Huntington Street behind the Prudential Center.

*Half priced tickets to a play or other event purchase the same day from a Bostix kiosk or online from Arts Boston.

*Depending on time of year/weather, a sunset harbor cruise that takes you by the USS Constitution to watch the flag lowering ceremony. Doesn't matter what the weather is -- bring a sweater. Make reservations for dinner at Sel De La Terre or the Chart House after the cruise. This is all in the Long Wharf area.

*If you're a shopper, stroll Newbury street from Mass Ave to Arlington, where you'll find yourself at the Garden.

*Vist the Public Library at Copley Square to enjoy the building.

Have fun!

*Walk around Brookline, see the JFK birthplace.

Archived