Bringing Expensive Camera

Joe1028

Bring it! I agree with everyone that has posted here,..I have taken all my cameras along with me and would have regreted not having them. I have not had any theft problems by leaving them in the room. I wouldn't leave them in arms reach from the door, but hidden anywhere the cabin they should be perfectly safe.

Enjoy your cruise! and enjoy the beautiful pictures you will get:D

I can't even fathom going without my DSLR - or all of it's accessories - all in all, probably $3000 worth - totally worth the risk to me! I will also bring a point and shoot and an underwater camera, so if we're doing anything where my DSLR won't be safe (ie: cave tubing), I'll bring a different camera.

Briing it! I just got back in to still work and love having a DSLR with me on vacation. I didn't always bring it on shore.... depends on what we were doing.

I agree that you can still get some pretty great shots with cheap digital cameras. DW bought one just before our wedding for 150 bucks a couple of years back. Totally not what I would have bought but over the years I have gotten some great pictures from that thing. Just using the natural light and composing the shot. The same rules aply... plus there are some some tricks I use to trick the camera into doing what I want. I have also gotten some great shots with my iphone... but those can't be blown up because the resolution is so bad.

On the last cruise if we left the DSLR on the ship it went in the safe on port days, but if we were at dinner or something it usually just sat out on the desk or the bed sometimes. My wife gets annoyed when I take too many shots with the DSLR so I usually try to leave it on the ship a day or two, just to give her a break.

Well, it looks like overwhelmingly everyone says yes at this point! I too couldn't imagine going to some of these destinations without a camera I love to use. I guess maybe the only other consideration would be how you carry it. For something like this I can't imagine that an over the shoulder traditional "camera bag" would be much fun. I had a fanny pack type case awhile back that for the life of me I can't find now. I could fit my DSLR in center, a lens in a case on the side and then the other side would hold a water bottle, etc. There are also a lot of sling type bags out now but I would rather not have something hanging on my shoulders all day.

offtrail1.jpg

I bring mine all the time and have never tried to put it in the safe. IMO it is perfectly safe in your cabin. (BTW I also leave my laptop and Kindle out on the desk all the time too.)

We do the same, I'd have no worries about steward, it's other passengers.OP= Don't leave it lay around out of the room IMO.

We travel a lot and this is what we do:

Yes I would bring the camera, and the safes are pretty big (although my laptop will not fit) I know it does happen but, we have never had anything stolen from our room on a Carnival cruise. I would not however leave anything unattended as I have heard of people having things when they are around the ship.

For us, the camera is replaceable, the technology out dates so quickly that often we find we would have replaced it with a better model anyway.

Bring MANY memory cards and change them frequently. We always have 10 memory cards when we go out on an excursion and I change them after each stop or group of pictures. This way if I lose my camera or it is stolen, I lose very few pictures. I don't know how many people get a huge memory card and use it for their entire vacation - the camera goes, so does all the pictures. Yes it is a pain swapping out memory cards ever 25 pictures, but sometimes the pictures you have taken are worth more personally than the camera with last years technology.

Just our opinion

Well, it looks like overwhelmingly everyone says yes at this point! I too couldn't imagine going to some of these destinations without a camera I love to use. I guess maybe the only other consideration would be how you carry it. For something like this I can't imagine that an over the shoulder traditional "camera bag" would be much fun. I had a fanny pack type case awhile back that for the life of me I can't find now. I could fit my DSLR in center, a lens in a case on the side and then the other side would hold a water bottle, etc. There are also a lot of sling type bags out now but I would rather not have something hanging on my shoulders all day.

I LOVE that case!! I had no clue this kind existed. I'll have to look around and see if I can find something like this because I have a huge case that I don't want to carry around. For the ports I'll for the most part take my waterproof Olympus but if we're not going to the beach then I want my SLR. LOL

Bring MANY memory cards and change them frequently. We always have 10 memory cards when we go out on an excursion and I change them after each stop or group of pictures. This way if I lose my camera or it is stolen, I lose very few pictures. I don't know how many people get a huge memory card and use it for their entire vacation - the camera goes, so does all the pictures. Yes it is a pain swapping out memory cards ever 25 pictures, but sometimes the pictures you have taken are worth more personally than the camera with last years technology.

Just our opinion

I use a different approach to the possible loss of photos. Every evening, I copy the contents of the card to my netbook. I use a different directory for each day's pictures. I also do a quick check to delete the obviously really bad pictures. I then rename the files to reflect the date and place I took the pictures. Finally, I then back up the directory to an external hard drive. When we are traveling, I carry the backpack with my laptop and my wife carries the hard drive.

Doing it this way, I accept the chance that I might lose the pictures for a single day but this is my maximum possible loss. I can accept that risk.

There are lots of ways of handling file security. The important thing is to come up with a solution that works for you and to actually do it. Too many people have no idea that you can very easily lose all the pictures that you have ever taken.

DON

offtrail1.jpg

Would a photo vest work? I have looked at them but have never used them.

DON

Would a photo vest work? I have looked at them but have never used them.

DON

I used to have a photo vest - it was a rather cheap one though - and I would guess that it could pose potential problems. At least on the one I had, the pockets weren't very padded or protective, so if you hit something or someone hit you, theres a possibility of injuring them, yourself, or your equipment. I've never cruised, but I just envision lots of people in tight spaces on things like tenders and in line trying to get off the boat. For me, it would be similiar to just carrying your camera around your neck, only then, other people at least know it's there as they can see it.

I have a small camera backpack that I'll use personally. I like the bag posted though!!

If you are going to places and you are worried about people trying to cut your bag or break in look into pacsafe bags. They have camera, laptop and purses. For hard core travel they work great.

I use this bag on cruises and love it

10444439.jpg

I LOVE that case!! I had no clue this kind existed. I'll have to look around and see if I can find something like this because I have a huge case that I don't want to carry around. For the ports I'll for the most part take my waterproof Olympus but if we're not going to the beach then I want my SLR. LOL

As much as I hate to admit it, that beloved case has gone AWOL for some reason. We had an old 35mm that we took everywhere in that case. When we upgraded to the DSLR that case couldn't be located. I've found them again online and they run about $50 or so. It seems pricey but it is on my list of must haves before we go again.

I think the most appealing thing about that case is that you didn't really feel any additional weight or anything hanging. If you sit on a shuttle or something it stays right in your lap, not something you have to try and remember to pick up. The other nice thing is that a lens change is super quick and the bag stays upright (as opposed to a sling bag) kind of acting like a second set of hands. I could switch out the lens quickly and take a few shots with the standard lens in the main compartment unzipped and everything. Then when I was done I could easily change back to my normal lens and be on the way. Also there was no need to have the camera around your neck while you are walking because it is just as easy to unzip quick. Plus, this also leaves room for a backpack or something if needed for all the goodies you by in port!

It feels secure, snug and safe and there really wasn't any wasted space with it. I can almost see my sign and sail card tucked in that pocket on the top flap :D

If the $2,000.00 ring would go in the safe then shouldn't the $2000 camera and lens? I think this protects the owner and also the staff. If the camera goes missing and you left it in a locked room and the steward came and made the room up who do you think would be blamed if the camera went missing? Sure they are insured but so is jewelery. The safe is in the room to be used.

Bring it. You would hate to miss out on those great shots. I doubt it would fit in the safe, but it's possible if you take the lens off. I would just keep it in the bag and put it in a place not totally visible. I trust the room stewrds, just not the one or two dishonest fellow pax that might be walking by while your cabin is being cleaned.... Out of sight, out of mind. The do have a bigger safe at the pursers desk in case you are totally worried about it, but you would have very limited access to it.

We took our top of the line Canon with lens ect along with a fairly large case that holds all the lens, and it fits in the safe just fine. We plan to take one of our smaller cameras when we are at HMC as there will be lots of sand and water even though we are getting a cabana. But for the rest of the cruise we will have the good camera with us (hubby will have it I dont want to carry it :) We took it when we sailed on the dream last summer when our son got married in st thomas , we let the photo guy take the pics so it wasnt worth taking then even though we took it with us, unless you are talking a HUGE sized camera you will have no problem with keeping it in your Safe

I shoot with the Nikon D300s($1500 up). Go to http://www.pacsafe.com and look at the bag(Camsafe100 I think). I took it to Europe where theft is a real concern. You can lock it to a pole or anything concrete and stable.. It has steel cables running through it so it can't be cut. Having said that, I have never taken it on a cruise. I usually put my Nikon in a suitcase with a lock and it goes under the bed.

I shoot with the Nikon D300s($1500 up). Go to www.pacsafe.com and look at the bag(Camsafe100 I think). I took it to Europe where theft is a real concern. You can lock it to a pole or anything concrete and stable.. It has steel cables running through it so it can't be cut. Having said that, I have never taken it on a cruise. I usually put my Nikon in a suitcase with a lock and it goes under the bed.

I have one of these and it is really great. I found it hard to get used to opening it backwards as the bag opening is towards you for security - always seems weird. Pac safe also makes the camera strap that can't be cut - I have one of those on my camera but I am always afraid the strap won't cut so they'll drag me by the head:eek:

DH takes his Canon DSLR with a couple of lenses. He always keeps them in the safe when we are not using them. We also keep the memory cards, video camera, gps, cell phone, money, jewelry, passports etc in the safe. It has always seemed to fit without issue on each ship and cruiseline on which we have traveled.

He uses a backpack camera bag and has taken it everywhere. http://www.tamrac.com/frame_adv.htm It works really well.

I have a Minolta 5D DSLR that I absolutely love with a couple of extra lenses. I've taken them on all my cruises. It's a little bulky compared to those cute little point and shoot cameras. I've played with the idea of getting a cheapy camera for my next trip, but not sure. Never had any problem with theft of any kind. I think the room stewards really value their jobs and wouldn't even consider jeopardizing it for a camera.

I bring both my Canon Rebel Digital and my little Canon Elf. Although the big camera can be a pain sometimes there are many great photo ops on board and at sea or ashore. If I'm too lazy to lug around the big Canon, I bring along the small Elf in my pocket.

Archived