Carnival Mediterranean Cruise Questions

tmunson

My fiance and I will be having our first Cruise experience on the new Carnival Magic in June in the form of our honeymoon. We will be going with the flow for most of the destinations but we are particularly interested in making the most of our time in Rome (port of call is Civitavecchia) and really want to see the Leaning Tower of Pisa (via Livorno). Are there any tips for getting ourselves there or recommendations for shore excursion companies?

Also, as this is our first cruise, any further tips will be greatly appreciated.

Tom

First, have you signed into the roll call for your cruise? That is where you will meet others on your sailing and find out what they are planning for those ports. On the main boards page, scroll down to Roll Calls - Members Only, click on Carnival, then find the Carnival Magic, and look for a thread with your sail date. Also check out the Ports of Call board for Europe/Med. I'm sure there are lots of suggestions there. I was in Livorno on Oosterdam and did a ships tour to Pisa and Lucca. It was a rainy day, but we got to see a lot. My cruise ended in Rome and we spent three days there before flying home. We walked all over. EM

• 3 weeks later...

The Ron in Rome website has a great page for cruisers wanting to get to Rome for a day trip (you have to Google it, as cruise critic blocks that website for some reason.)

The easiest way to get to Pisa from Livorno is also by train. Here's a good website on getting to the Florance by train (you follow the same directions for Pisa). http://www.livornonow.com/travelling_to_florence_by_train_from_livorno

Note that many people on your ship will be doing the same thing, so you won't be alone!

Cruise Critic has an Italy forum, where you'll find a ton of info on getting into cities from the port, what to do, etc. Be sure to start reading there for much more info. You can search there and find dozens of threads on the subject.

Archived