Suggestions for a perfect first time to mediterranean

juanarcin

Me and my wife are planning our first cruise ever. After looking at options we have decided that our top choice would be the Mediterranean departing from Rome and having an overnight stay in Egypt. Mainly because I have always wanted to see Egypt and leaving/arriving to Rome will allow us to do more there either before or after the cruise, we really want to see the Colliseum and other landmarks there without being rushed :)

My question is can anyone suggest a cruise line/ship?

About us: we are in our late 20's will be traveling alone, love watching movies/shows, technology fan (I'm a web developer), and she loves photography (plans on making an amazing phot album out of this trip :)

Also our plan is to travel between June and October, are these dates ok for this part of the world? Any tips, suggestions, stories would be greatly appreciated!

At that time of year the Europeans are on vacation. Rome will be awful, way too crowded with tourists, and you'll spend half of your time in lines. We took the cruise your mentioning on Princess in October the weather was perfect. Egypt and the pyramids were in the upper 80's, very hot with all the sand. At your time of year it would be unbearable. I really would reconsider to another date.

We went on a similar cruise at the end March. Rome was a bit cool at night, but nice during the day. I think Rome will be crowded at anytime. (Hint: Buy a combination ticket for the Colosseum, Palatine Hill, and Roman Forum at the nearby entrance to the Palatine Hill. The combination ticket is good for two days so you don't have to get to all three sites in one day. and the lines are next to nothing as compared to the Colosseum.)

Egypt weather was perfect, not hot, not cool. It was warm, but not hot in Ephesis, Turkey mid-day.

We have done two 12 night Med. cruises in late August and did not find the heat or crowds a problem either time.

Our cruise from from Rome included a stop in Egypt and the cruise from

Barcelona included Venice. Both on RCL.

We flew to Rome 4 days ahead of our cruise and spent two nights post cruise there as well. Gave us lots of time to tour beautiful Rome.

Photos of both cruises in the link below.

Our reviews are posted on this site. If you would like me to post the link here I would be happy to do so.

A key to really enjoying your Med. cruise is doing some research/reading in advance. That way you will really appreciate what you are seeing.

Wishing you a wonderful cruise.

Kathy:)

Archived