My review of our Carnival Cruise - NOT

cutiediva

Saying you were "shocked at the replies" didn't sound sarcastic.

Referring to "cough and sneeze, being pummelled" :rolleyes:

and yes, some of these replies are a little over the top IMO.

I do understand the concern over OP having had a cough for a week and not being seen by a doctor prior to cruising. That may have been a little negligent, especially since she ended up with pneumonia. I also agree that she should have seen the Nurse or Physician on board.

Geez, from the responses here, I hope the asthma that both my son and I have doesn't decide to flare-up... No life or death situations, just lung inflammation and a TERRIBLE (yet uncontagious) cough that lasts for days until the inflammation subsides...

Having said that, if someone IS sick and symptomatic of an actual infection, I would hope they would not be selfish and board the ship anyway. I think what the op did was terribly selfish...

BTW, I haven't seen one post actually identifying a major factor in this -- the incubation period for walking pneumonia... The incubation period is approx. 1-3 weeks. That means that the poster was asymptomatic for 1-3 weeks before showing symptoms.

SO, this poster definitely HAD full-blown walking pneumonia by the time she was on the ship showing symptoms. It also means that she didn't catch it from being on the plane or ship -- she caught it 1-3 weeks BEFORE.

When I don't get enough sleep for a couple days, I tend to have flu like symptoms (tired, achy, sore throat). This happened the last cruise from an overnight drive plus excitement and I'm sure it will happen again this cruise. I will still board the ship even though I couldn't be 110% certain I'm actually not coming down with the flu.

Also, I've been coughing for about two weeks now, maybe a little more. I haven't missed a moment of either job, and haven't seen a doctor. Oddly enough, none of my coworkers or family has gotten sick and its going away all on its on. Sometimes a cough is just a cough, even a bad one. Calling someone subhuman is ridiculous for any reason really.

When I don't get enough sleep for a couple days, I tend to have flu like symptoms (tired, achy, sore throat). This happened the last cruise from an overnight drive plus excitement and I'm sure it will happen again this cruise. I will still board the ship even though I couldn't be 110% certain I'm actually not coming down with the flu.

Also, I've been coughing for about two weeks now, ...

So what will you put on your health questionnaire?

Last cruise both of my sons had way too much "South Beach" on the night before boarding. I told them how to answer the questions on the health form because I knew they weren't asking about their kind of stomach problems:D

You made me laugh:D But so true......I wonder how many people do put such symptons down:D I get a nervous stomach flying......and have one of the symptoms on the health form......so you can say I am not honest when I fill out the form. I know if I do I will be pulled aside...checked out by a doctor which will only delay my boarding. The form is to only cover their butts and nothing more........

I am sure that many many people do NOT cancel their cruise when they have a bad cold or cough. I realize that we buy insurance for the purpose of a possible cancellation, but for much bigger reasons.

If we are being honest with ourselves then we would NOT stay home from our l-o-n-g awaited vacation because of this......SAD FACT !!!!

While I have never gone on a plane or cruise while sick, I do have terrible allergies which cause me to occasionally cough for a few days at a time. But I know the difference between my allergy cough and a cough from being sick. Allergy coughs are not contagious. I have asthma and I use an inhaler. My daughter had strep throat the day before we left for our disneyworld vacation. The doctor gave her a shot, and a face mask to wear on the plane. Said that after 24 hours after the shot she was not contagious and she was cleared for traveling. We went on the plane, she wore the mask (yes, enduring all the stares and people scurrying away from her), and felt glorious and had a glorious time at Disneyworld. Would I take her on a cruise the next day? yeah, if she felt up to going and her doctor said it was ok, but I would definitely fill the form out honestly even if it meant enduring a delayed embarkation.

So what will you put on your health questionnaire?

That I'm completely fine. I was told, by a RN, that without fever or vomitting, I likely had a bad cold, which I should be completely clear of by the time I sail. As far as the flu like symptoms when I get lack of sleep, I'm not sure why I would report that at all? Just stating that not feeling well isn't always contagious or even sickness. Some people just don't go to the doctor every time they feel bad

And to complain about your cold sandwich!

Well, I can understand the "lukewarm" food complaint. DW likes her food triple piping hot. I've seen her send things back that had steam coming out them because it was "too cold":D

As far as the FLL hotel, there are plenty of places that are clean, nice staff and decent breakfasts in FLL, a little research would ahve solved that one.

I can empathize with folks who get sick on cruises. DW has been ill twice during cruises, but was fine before boarding. Nevertheless, if you have a hacking bad cough, in the winter, and it's not due to smoking, and nothing tastes good before the cruise, IMO, it's time to activate the crusie insurance versus infecting hundreds of others.

I had the exact same experience on our Victory cruise last November, cough, cough, cough. :eek: I could not lay down without the cough starting up, miserable. This has never happened to me on a cruise before and I am NEVER sick so I understand how you feel. I felt fine during the day, but come time to go to bed, the cough would rear it's ugly head.....just thought I'd share since I was "in your shoes" too.....:)

In all reality, even folks who board the ship feeling fine, and a day or so later become sick, were already carrying the virus onto the ship. It takes several days sometimes for the funk to kick in. I know this wasn't the case of the OP, but before we all act like sweet angels who would never bring a cold/virus onto a ship(myself included), think twice. ;)

Geez, from the responses here, I hope the asthma that both my son and I have doesn't decide to flare-up... No life or death situations, just lung inflammation and a TERRIBLE (yet uncontagious) cough that lasts for days until the inflammation subsides...

If you had a terrible cough for days before your trip would you be honest on the form?

I imagine that if you were they would just look at you and pass you on, but they might not.

It's really quite the dilemia, if you know you aren't sick, but also worry they won't see it that way.

sorry to ask? i dont remember ever having to fill these health forms out on my last cruises? is it new or did i just block it out?

to the op- i feel for you, being sick is miserable, and most of the time you just want to be home in your own bed anyways, so i assume you went thinking yu woul feel better once you started the trip ( as i think most people would think the same thing)

im sorry that wasnt the case and hope you are better soon....

Last cruise both of my sons had way too much "South Beach" on the night before boarding. I told them how to answer the questions on the health form because I knew they weren't asking about their kind of stomach problems:D

Totally OT but I live in West Des Moines, I see you are in Ankeny =)

When I went on my cruise in Nov my friend he had a cough and he put it on the form. They took us out the line and we had to wait for a nurse to take his temperture. He also has asthma so that could have been the cause. He didnt have a fever so we were cleared to board. That's all they want to know if you have a fever.

OP Im sorry you were sick and didnt enjoy. Take your husband up on the offer to go later this year you will enjoy yourself. Hope you get to feeling better soon.

Well, I can understand the "lukewarm" food complaint. DW likes her food triple piping hot. I've seen her send things back that had steam coming out them because it was "too cold":D

I was referring to her sandwich at the deli.

You have two choices.1. You get a deli sandwich where they keep the meat and veggies refrigerated for your safety so you get a cold sandwich.

Or they put your sandwich on a panini maker cook it for a minute or two and hand it right to you.

This is why I do not understand her complaint.

Archived