Questions about the NCL Star

annie822

Hi Annie 822! Here is a link for the Dailies and Menus on the Star that I found from a post back in February. Even though the Dailies have the old itinerary with Mazatlan, it has been very helpful to me since I am a 1st time NCL cruiser too. Hope it helps you too!

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B2Q...MTA0ZmIx&hl=en

We're on the same cruise, so see you at the CC Meeting! Congrats on the upgrade. Wishing for one myself! :)

Hi carebear

So excited I can hardly stand it..the info was great--our little group is from Oregon..two couples..what did you find fun to do in Cabo?

Annie

Ok meet and greet with the captain?? this would be a highlight for my guy..how was this arranged...his life would be complete if he received a tour of the bridge..:D

Have you joined the roll call for your cruise? You can find it under this link.

The meet and greet is organized typically by the person who started the roll call. The captain does not always attend. It depends on the captain and the ship, but senior staff always attend and you get to hear about what they do on the ship.

In the Daily, the captain meeting listed is sometimes a very quick photo op and sometimes just a greeting line like at a wedding where you walk by. They had signs at a couple of our meetings to please understand that they are not shaking hands. I am assuming this is to help keep them all healthy.

I have yet to have a bridge tour, but these are sometimes offered to VIPs, people staying in suites, and platinum latitudes members.

Enjoy your cruise and let us know how it was when you get back.

Have you joined the roll call for your cruise? You can find it under this link.

The meet and greet is organized typically by the person who started the roll call. The captain does not always attend. It depends on the captain and the ship, but senior staff always attend and you get to hear about what they do on the ship.

In the Daily, the captain meeting listed is sometimes a very quick photo op and sometimes just a greeting line like at a wedding where you walk by. They had signs at a couple of our meetings to please understand that they are not shaking hands. I am assuming this is to help keep them all healthy.

I have yet to have a bridge tour, but these are sometimes offered to VIPs, people staying in suites, and platinum latitudes members.

Enjoy your cruise and let us know how it was when you get back.

On our last 3 cruises at the CC meet & greet we were offered a tour of the bridge including on our Star cruise in March.

Dave

On our last 3 cruises at the CC meet & greet we were offered a tour of the bridge including on our Star cruise in March.

Dave

That is great. Do you know if someone asked for it or arranged it before the Meet and Greet, or did the crew simply make the offer at the M&G?

I would love to do a bridge tour on our next cruise if possible.

That is great. Do you know if someone asked for it or arranged it before the Meet and Greet, or did the crew simply make the offer at the M&G?

I would love to do a bridge tour on our next cruise if possible.

We were about 2/3rds of the way through the M&G when Captain Gunnar stuck his head into the Star Bar and announced we were invited to tour the bridge. We didn't hear any follow-up, but I believe it was Dave who pressed them and we got it! And from what Dave mentioned it was the best tour he had taken!

If you get Nikko as your guide, you will be happy!

Hi everyone,

I am booked on the Star in August going to Alaska. I am going with friends and sharing a balcony room with one of them and was wondering if there were two single beds in the room? I read a post on one of these sites where the couple (mother and daughter) had to share a bed because there was only one queen and a sleeper sofa so that makes me wonder if the beds are not singles can you request two singles? I have back problems and sleeping on a sleeper sofa would not be a good idea for me? Just curious as to how the beds are set up? I know most all of carnival beds are singles just pushed together to make queens so is NCL the same way or not?

Kathy

I just got off the Star on Saturday and my experience was not good. It was very disappointing because we thought we found a great inexpensive cruise alternative.

Do yourself a favor and eat at Aqua as much as possible. It was our only dining respite while on board.

The buffet is not good. Hometown Buffet seemed gourmet in comparison. If something looks dry, don't bother trying it.

The Kids Cafe is not properly maintained. So, if you have kids make sure you check what they got before you let them eat it. We encountered soupy, under-cooked eggs and odd colored pepperoni. My daughter actually threw up the second night we were on board (we think because of the pepperoni).

For breakfast we ate room service a few times to avoid the buffet. Sweet rolls, yogurt, fresh fruit, and cereal were the main things because the rest was pretty bad.

Please do yourself a favor and avoid Ginza at all costs. It was the worst experience we have had ever on a ship. The sushi was disgusting (mushy and bland) and the Asian fusion items we ordered (lo mein and cantonese scallops) was bad. They used ramen noodles for the lo mein and it was bland and tasteless. The scallops were rubbery and overcooked.

I realize that my experience was particularly bad. I am not usually harsh in my judgment and I'm pretty easy to appease. So, I honestly don't know why things were so bad.

Hopefully your experience will be better than mine.

Hi everyone,

I am booked on the Star in August going to Alaska. I am going with friends and sharing a balcony room with one of them and was wondering if there were two single beds in the room? I read a post on one of these sites where the couple (mother and daughter) had to share a bed because there was only one queen and a sleeper sofa so that makes me wonder if the beds are not singles can you request two singles? I have back problems and sleeping on a sleeper sofa would not be a good idea for me? Just curious as to how the beds are set up? I know most all of carnival beds are singles just pushed together to make queens so is NCL the same way or not?

Kathy

The beds are singles same as Carnival. If they are together when you board, tell your steward you want them separated.

Hi everyone,

Kathy

It is my understanding that some rooms (such as the "romance suites") have a queen sized bed that cannot be separated, but this does not apply to most rooms. The vast majority are single beds that can be separated or together.

We have always enjoyed good food on Star. When something isn't to our liking we never have a problem returning it, getting something else, etc.

Never have been a buffet fan, so can't really compare notes there.

My Ginza experiences have always been yummy, loved the sushi. I am used to really good sushi in NYC and Los Angeles and this compared favorably.

Perhaps they were having an off day. I also realize food can be WAY subjective!

I hope the non-food portions of your cruise were better and that your daughter is feeling okay now!

We have always enjoyed good food on Star. When something isn't to our liking we never have a problem returning it, getting something else, etc.

Never have been a buffet fan, so can't really compare notes there.

My Ginza experiences have always been yummy, loved the sushi. I am used to really good sushi in NYC and Los Angeles and this compared favorably.

Perhaps they were having an off day. I also realize food can be WAY subjective!

I hope the non-food portions of your cruise were better and that your daughter is feeling okay now!

Thanks valleyvillage. I appreciate your sentiment. My daughter is better and she did enjoy her dolphin encounter, which made it all worth it.

It must have been a very bad night for Ginza. I was a bit shocked at how the manager took care of the situation. Offering to waive 2 of the 3 cover charges was not stellar service.

I agree that food is way subjective. I every day I kept hoping things would improve, but unfortunately, they didn't.

Aqua was the only bright spot for us. Their service was much better than Versailles and the food seemed better (although only had lunch at Versailles).

The shows were pretty good too.

As far as the cabin, I did like the bathroom. It seemed to have a better layout than I had experienced cruising in the past.

TakinAChance - We usually try to avoid the buffet most all of the time. Versailles is also open for breakfast - that is a much better option than the buffet in our opinion. Even better is having a suite and getting to have breakfast and lunch in Cagney's.

Sorry your experience wasn't a very good one. Thankfully ours has been just the opposite. We love the Star!

Hi carebear

So excited I can hardly stand it..the info was great--our little group is from Oregon..two couples..what did you find fun to do in Cabo?

Annie

We are just going to "wing it" in Cabo, no excursions planned. We're thinking of taking a water taxi to Medano Beach the 1st day, and exploring downtown Cabo on the 2nd day and doing some souvenier shopping. In Puerto Vallarta, we are doing the Pirate Boat Adventure excursion. Should be fun!

Where in Oregon are you from? I'm a Portland native, but I live in Eugene now.

Looking forward to meeting you! :)

Aqua was the only bright spot for us. Their service was much better than Versailles and the food seemed better (although only had lunch at Versailles).

The menu and food in the Aqua and Versailles are exactly the same and cooked in the same kitchen.

Makes me wonder about the comment.

We are just going to "wing it" in Cabo, no excursions planned. We're thinking of taking a water taxi to Medano Beach the 1st day, and exploring downtown Cabo on the 2nd day and doing some souvenier shopping. In Puerto Vallarta, we are doing the Pirate Boat Adventure excursion. Should be fun!

Where in Oregon are you from? I'm a Portland native, but I live in Eugene now.

Looking forward to meeting you! :)

no freaking way

guess where we live--EUGENE!!

In PV we are taking a scooter tour..

:eek:

I really didn't have any issue with the buffet . . . The three times I went there each day for breakfast it was quite good. Breads, fruit, cheese, sausage, bacon, fried potatoes were all good. If you want something other then scrambled eggs, ask at the omelet station.

My only complaint was that nothing on the menu in the main dining room really jumped out at me and triggered a Pavlovian response. But whtaever I ordered was well prepared and tasted very good.

no freaking way

guess where we live--EUGENE!!

In PV we are taking a scooter tour..

:eek:

Wow, small world isn't it? Just want to warn you though, I may live in "Duck Town" but I went to Oregon State! Hope it's not a dealbreaker for you if you're a die-hard Duck fan! ;)

Wow, small world isn't it? Just want to warn you though, I may live in "Duck Town" but I went to Oregon State! Hope it's not a dealbreaker for you if you're a die-hard Duck fan! ;)

I have to tell you don't hate me--HUSKIE--but he is a Duck :eek:

so what do you guys do here in town--we are in the south hills and I won my own business and he is retired

does anyone know if they serve lobster in the main dining rooms on the NCL star? or is this something you have to pay for?

On each cruise we've been on the Star (3 times) there has been a lobster night. These are not the large lobster tails, and many complain that they are rubbery or not real tasty. We enjoy them, and never miss lobster night, however, we can't rave about them. They are just OK. That is true for all ships we've been on.

I have to tell you don't hate me--HUSKIE--but he is a Duck :eek:

so what do you guys do here in town--we are in the south hills and I won my own business and he is retired

We live in SW area near Westmoreland Park. My husband is a software engineer (former Hynix employee) who now works in Springfield. I'm a stay at home mom with 2 boys, ages 4 and 2, which keeps me pretty busy.

Only 4 days left, can't wait!! :D

Carrie

We live in SW area near Westmoreland Park. My husband is a software engineer (former Hynix employee) who now works in Springfield. I'm a stay at home mom with 2 boys, ages 4 and 2, which keeps me pretty busy.

Only 4 days left, can't wait!! :D

Carrie

so close to us..such a small world that we are going on the same cruise

I have already started packing

sun has been out here, but nothing like the warmth we will find in Mexico and the tequila lol

look forward to meeting you guys

Annie:rolleyes:

Archived