Alaska - 1st Timer

Kellit1964

My husband & I just booked an Alaskan cruise for September on the Sapphire Princess for our 25th anniversary. We have cruised several times, but this is our first Alaskan cruise. I have a couple of questions:

1. It appears that booking the White Pass & Yukon Railroad excursion through Princess is substantially more expensive than booking direct. Other than the fact we will need to board the train at a location other than at the dock, are there any other drawbacks to booking direct?

2. Any recommendations for pre/post cruise accomodations in Seattle? We would like to be near the attractions (Pike Place Market, Space Needle, etc.). I am not familiar with the layout of Seattle & don't even know where these are located.

3. I know weather conditions are unpredictable, but typically is mid-September fairly chilly?

I know I will have more questions, but any suggestions/information are very much appreciated!

Kelli

My husband & I just booked an Alaskan cruise for September on the Sapphire Princess for our 25th anniversary. We have cruised several times, but this is our first Alaskan cruise. I have a couple of questions:

1. It appears that booking the White Pass & Yukon Railroad excursion through Princess is substantially more expensive than booking direct. Other than the fact we will need to board the train at a location other than at the dock, are there any other drawbacks to booking direct?

2. Any recommendations for pre/post cruise accomodations in Seattle? We would like to be near the attractions (Pike Place Market, Space Needle, etc.). I am not familiar with the layout of Seattle & don't even know where these are located.

3. I know weather conditions are unpredictable, but typically is mid-September fairly chilly?

I know I will have more questions, but any suggestions/information are very much appreciated!

Kelli

Kelli,

We did the Sapphire in 2008 but that's when she ran from Whittier to Vancouver so really can't help with Seattle. Been a few years since I was downtown (which basically is where Pike's Market and the Space Needle are). Now if you want to know anything about Seattle International Airport ask away because I've had many a layover there.

In regards to the White Pass Railway we booked with Chilkoot Charters and did the 7.5 hour Yukon Bus & Rail Excursion http://www.chilkootcharters.com/yukonrail.htm

In regards to where you board they actually meet you in the parking lot right at the cruise terminal and take you over to the train. So in my opinion that short walk to the parking lot was well worth the dollars saved.

Also, with Chilkoot you won't be on one of the big coaches like Princess (lots more people on those).

Susan in Anchorage :)

Kelli

The Seattle Marriott Waterfront is just below Pikes. Nice place.

This site will give you historical temps for many Alaska communities by month.

http://www.arh.noaa.gov/climate.php?stnid=PAJN&mon=9&yr=2010&obs=true&precip=true

BTW, we just returned from the Sapphire on Saturday. We were very please with the ship. Multiple dining rooms, never a wait and it never felt crowed.

A most the difference between cruise booked and independent booked White Pass RR, in the past has been $10. Are you comparing the same tour option?? There is two different train runs plus several bus/train combos.

As for weather, you are going during the worse potent of the Alaska season, with indeed colder temps, the norm. Key is to be WELL prepared in your attire, expect rain, so also have good rain gear. Finally, dusk will be by 7pm, with reduced tour availabity, if you have a late port time.

Archived