Belize

ksjserv

We just returned from a cruise that included Belize as a port of call. We had prearranged a combination tour of Altun Ha and the Belize Zoo with Vitalino of cavetubing.bz. We thought the tour was well worth the time and cost and would not hesitate recommending Vitalino and this tour. I would not, however, venture out from the port on your own without a prearranged tour.

I would def recommend getting off the ship and going ashore. Yes you should def book a tour since it's not a port that has anything at the port to readily do.

I've been to Belize twice, the first time we cave tubed with kids 11, 15 and 18. We all had such a blast! The next time we decided to do this again, and we'd originally arranged to cave tube in Belize with http://www.experiencebelizetours.com.

Once we arrived and the weather did not cooperate for us to take our cave tubing tour, my contact Kenworth, immediately suggested a fine alternative tour personalized just for our group that included the magnificent mayan ruins Altun Ha.

We had a very professional and interesting time with this tour company in Belize. We had Dennis as our tour guide. He was very informative, personable and patient...and we all had a second memorable time in Belize thanks to them.

Recommending them also because correspondence and communication before we even traveled to Belize was outstanding. Every need and change I needed to make (we had a small group of family and friends) was accommodated with grace and proper business arrangements.

Even in the inclement weather the ruins were amazing and huge. The climb and views from the top very worth it as well as having a native (as Dennis was) tell us things as we toured the site you can't get from a book. I imagine touring them on a good day would only enhance the experience.

It's not a wealthy, luxury port but it's certainly interesting, adventurous and fun....and it's very real, very human because you do see the inescapable humbleness of it's economy and the richness of it's humanity.

What a shame that people post thing like others have. This a wonderful port if you take the time to really find out. You CAN go out the back gate and shop. Yes, they are aggressive but at least they are local artist not the faux crud in the port shops.

The land outside the city is really interesting. There is a LOT of Mayan culture in Belize. I have taken several wonderful tours there. Go ahead and take a tour with the cruise line or on shore. (Still prefer the cruise lines here) I recomend the Altun Ha and old river tour or Lamaini and new river tour. Go ahead and have a good time. You will make what you want out of this port. DO visit the Belize board for some more great ideas.

I read this a lot about Belize and am happy that we had the chance to experience it once but honestly it was a frightening port. Neither my husband or myself felt very comfortable with all the armed guards through out the city, or the men who would approach the van while stopped in traffic and bang on the doors, this made me very uncomfortable. And even though we enjoy our cave-tubing excursion and our guide was the nicest guy even he told us that he lived way outside the city because the crime was so terrible. So when there are posts that say stay on the ship, there are valid reasons for saying this.

I visited Belize just last week and had made arrangements to do an excursion. Something recommended by many online. My son got up late and with the tendering time, we just got into port too late. We missed the trip and walked around the port. My son wanted to venture out on our own excursion which we do in every port, and I told him no ,because of the things I had read. I didn't feel "safe" in Belize and refused to go. That night at dinner our tablemate was telling us that on his excursion they had to wait while they took the DEAD BODY out of the road (someone had been shot) and throw it onto a truck!!!! Some things are best to be missed!!

This had to be a very poor joke and in very bad taste told to you...I understand that this is a area that you should take a tour and not wonder around alone, but if this is happing and other things like people seeing men with machine guns along the side of the road that are not police etc. Why would the cruise ships keep going there?

I live 50 miles outside of Detroit and have went downtown many times for events and I know that there are a lot of unsafe areas there but reading all this about Belize has me second gussing the excusion we were going to take in August with our children.(Altun Ha & BelizeCity Tour thru CCL):confused:

went to Altun Ha thru cruiseship and never had a problem or felt unsafe there. It was 'rustic'(nothing added for tourists) and enjoyed it. don't think youshould have any problem with your children. steps are stone, uneven and could be slippery, but crimewise no problem.

This had to be a very poor joke and in very bad taste told to you...I understand that this is a area that you should take a tour and not wonder around alone, but if this is happing and other things like people seeing men with machine guns along the side of the road that are not police etc. Why would the cruise ships keep going there?

I live 50 miles outside of Detroit and have went downtown many times for events and I know that there are a lot of unsafe areas there but reading all this about Belize has me second gussing the excusion we were going to take in August with our children.(Altun Ha & BelizeCity Tour thru CCL):confused:

That night at dinner our tablemate was telling us that on his excursion they had to wait while they took the DEAD BODY out of the road (someone had been shot) and throw it onto a truck!!!! Some things are best to be missed!!

So this summer my sisses were visiting from Portland OR and I took them on the GoodTime III cruise up the Cuyahoga River here in Cleveland Ohio USA. Our voyage was uneventful, but a week later passengers on the same boat spied a floater in the water! Differences were that the cause of death wasn't a gunshot, and the poor soul was not thrown onto a truck.

It is strollable. There is a whole town outside the port area with real stores, restaurants, ect. Not the "made for tourist" stuff. Most of the locals are very friendly. Just use common sense like anywhere else..

Also, I wouldn't really trust the US governments warnings..

I agree with this post. I have posted the same info on other threads. We have never had a problem. Also you have to consider the warning. But there is no civil unrest and I understand there is a drug problem, even the locals acknowledge that. But even that the warning is more about Belize bdcoming a stop over port.

Also, locals explained to us that the drug problems is mostly with the younger ones who left the country for the US and come back. He said they were the ones who brough the drug culture back into country. Before that he said there was very little problem.

It is strollable. There is a whole town outside the port area with real stores, restaurants, ect. Not the "made for tourist" stuff. Most of the locals are very friendly. Just use common sense like anywhere else..

Also, I wouldn't really trust the US governments warnings..

Totally agree with you on that one!!!!

the US governments warnings are for your protection.:rolleyes:

Yup, just like the Canadian gov't warnings:

Violent crime remains a serious concern in Florida. Criminals have demonstrated that they will use violence with little or no provocation. Many attacks have occurred in the Miami area, and others have taken place on rural roads and at interstate highway rest areas. Some rest areas have dusk-to-dawn security on site (which is indicated on the highway sign). Proceed cautiously when exiting a freeway (including Interstate 95) into large urban centres, especially after dusk. Theft has increased, particularly from trunks of parked cars in the North Miami Beach area, South Beach and at airports. Be alert, as criminals use a variety of techniques to steal personal belongings.

It all amounts to using a little bit of common sense.

Yup, just like the Canadian gov't warnings:

Violent crime remains a serious concern in Florida. Criminals have demonstrated that they will use violence with little or no provocation. Many attacks have occurred in the Miami area, and others have taken place on rural roads and at interstate highway rest areas. Some rest areas have dusk-to-dawn security on site (which is indicated on the highway sign). Proceed cautiously when exiting a freeway (including Interstate 95) into large urban centres, especially after dusk. Theft has increased, particularly from trunks of parked cars in the North Miami Beach area, South Beach and at airports. Be alert, as criminals use a variety of techniques to steal personal belongings.

It all amounts to using a little bit of common sense.

This made me smile. How appropriate. Thanks for posting.

• 2 months later...
We just returned from a cruise that included Belize as a port of call. We had prearranged a combination tour of Altun Ha and the Belize Zoo with Vitalino of cavetubing.bz. We thought the tour was well worth the time and cost and would not hesitate recommending Vitalino and this tour. I would not, however, venture out from the port on your own without a prearranged tour.

Iceberg1, Could you tell me more about your Altun Ha/Zoo tour with Vitilano? This is exactly the tour we are looking for, but I'm concerned that it may involve too much driving or not allow enough time at each place in order to get back to port on time. Thanks!

For those of you who have been to Jamaica....how would you compare the two? A lot of people have this same opinion of Jamaica and though it's not one of our favorite spots we do a ship excursion to at least get an experience (been to Jamaica about 8 times).

I am intimidated by Jamaica. I have lived in Belize for over two years. I was only a cruise ship tourist in Jamaica. I go shopping in Belize city every week and there are the pushy tour operators and vendors around the port area. There are beggars and panhandlers around the city.

I am sure if you can handle Belize.

Unlike Jamaica, Belize is not an island, just a port city. to get the beauty of Belize you must get out of the city to the Cayes or into the jungle.

Archived