Star Deck Question

DKJ

OP..unless it has changed since we were on the Star last may, you cannot get to those two restaurants from the Aft section of deck 8. The reason being is that is really the "back" of those two restaurants, and being such, is a work area for the wait staff. You will have to go to deck 7 and take the stairs in the Atrium one flight up, or go a little further forward and take the next bank of elevators (which are midship) up one flight.. OR you could take the aft elevators up to 9, then take the next bank of elevators (again mid ship) down to 8.

In December you could walk from the aft cabins on Deck 8 all the way forward through either the Blue Lagoon [port] or Endless Summer [starboard] unless I was hallucinating.

We also did this when we last on The Star in October as well, but I did feel like we were walking through part of the restaurant prep area. There were no signs up saying we couldn't, though, so we did get to The Blue Lagoon from the back just fine.

You can get through, but if you are going to eat at the Blue Lagoon you need to walk through the resturant to the other side to where the sign is that says 'Please wait to be seated". This is how we came in to the Blue Lagoon each time, we were on deck nine aft.

We're on the Star twice in 2008 and one of our cabins was #8126 (obstructed OV - AFT) just behind the elevators/stairs coming up from MDR - the hallway/corridor has a door that open into Endless Summer, and brother-n-law used it on a regular basis as the shortcut to/from the middle stairs/elevators in the Altrium/Reception/Lobby.

The door're closed but not locked and according to Room Steward, access are maintained in case of fire or emergencies so that AFT passengers can go toward MID ship in case the rear elevators & stairs cannot be used for whatever reasons. "Foot" traffic is very light and there are just 4 cabins starboard and 4 port side, plus crew access/work area.

These 2 sets of doors aren't marked or highlighted then - made it very easy to get from/to the front or mid-section of the ship without going down to Deck 7 and around it - sounds like it's still a wonderful shortcut after the latest makeover.

• 2 years later...

Mking,

Just curious, we are looking at getting that same room, Norwegian star #8126 and we are wondering if you can get any kind of view past the lifeboats. If you could shed some light on that, or better yet post a picture if you have one looking out from that window, it would be much appreciated!

thanks!:)

Mking,

Just curious, we are looking at getting that same room, Norwegian star #8126 and we are wondering if you can get any kind of view past the lifeboats. If you could shed some light on that, or better yet post a picture if you have one looking out from that window, it would be much appreciated!

W had a similar room, and for the cost savings it was great. There is daylight coming in, but you have to view the ocean through the set of life boat windows. I think I was more confused getting to the elevators in the winding halls, then concerned ov the view. It's nice for sunlight instead of inside room.

If you are not a picky type person I think you will like it. If you really want view get a portal room, or upgrade.

Disney,

Thanks for the quick reply. So the rooms available on the starboard side on the cruise we are doing are all obstructed. Would it be better to get a room right in the midde of a lifeboat or one where the window "looks" like it is centered towards the front or back of the lifeboat (based on the deck layout)? I guess what i asking is can you see through the windows that are located in the middle of the lifeboat? I just want to be able to get an idea of where we are. At least get a glimpse of the shoreline.

Thanks for the info!

I just want to be able to get an idea of where we are. At least get a glimpse of the shoreline.

It is pretty much obstructed no matter if you are in the middle or to the side of the lifeboat. To the side you will have a small 1.5 ft gab with a view of the ocean.

The lifeboat is of uniform height you also have between the window and the lifeboat a ledge the crew can stand on to do maintenance and then also if you are on the side of the lifeboat you have the rigging and chains and such devices that hold and lower the boat.

IMHO I would not decide cabin on a diagram of where it is in relation to how the lifeboat is hung next to the window. You will see some blue ocean no matter where you are but it is in the full sense of the word obstructed.

Brighton,

Thanks for the reply. Ya i guess thats what i was getting at, will i be able to even see a sliver of ocean (or shoreline if near it) with these obstructed views. Chains and rigging aside, it just seems like i would have a better chance of getting a glimpse of the oceans on the ends of the lifeboat rather then right in the exact middle of the lifeboat (based on deck layout)(unless i can see through the lifeboat windows). I am sure those diagrams are not the best thing to go off of, and I am late booking, so all unobstructed views are taken, so just trying to make the best of it. And balconies are more then i want to pay.

Like i said, I just want to be able to know if we are sailing past 1500 foot cliffs and we are in our room (not that we spend much time in our rooms on cruises anyway)so then i could run up deckside to get pics.

Just found this pic from another cruisecritic thread....definitely fully obstructed...dont think you would even see a glimpse of the ocean or shoreline...ehh...still get some natural light...what i get for booking late.

Cabin 8588 -09

There is one person with a view. I thought I was pretty isolated with a lifeboat hanging out the window. There is no foot traffic to look into the room, right? Well, I step out of the shower and walk to the bed grab the bathing suit and start shimmy into it. A movement caught my eye, here was a staff person INTHE LIFEBOAT! I dropped to the floor grabbed for the towel, peeked over the bed occasionally to make sure he was gone. Still can't figure out how he got in there, it was hanging in the air above the walk area, I though!

• 2 weeks later...
Mking, .. looking at getting that same room, Norwegian star #8126 and we are wondering if you can get any kind of view past the lifeboats. If you could shed some light on that, or better yet post a picture if you have one looking out from that window, it would be much appreciated! thanks!:)

Been away oversea & not on CC lately, I went thru our cloud storage looking for photos - found obstructed OV from the Jewel for deck 8, they are very similar - it should give you an idea of what to expect - in case you haven't booked and/or still thinking

You will get enough natural lights from the outside and a distance view of the horizon - and, that's better/preferred than an inside cabin (around 145 sf vs. 161 sf for outside) - if you have a choice, the layout for a sideway cabin is our preference, same footage but the setup is more usable.

There is one person with a view. I thought I was pretty isolated with a lifeboat hanging out the window. There is no foot traffic to look into the room, right? Well, I step out of the shower and walk to the bed grab the bathing suit and start shimmy into it. A movement caught my eye, here was a staff person INTHE LIFEBOAT! I dropped to the floor grabbed for the towel, peeked over the bed occasionally to make sure he was gone. Still can't figure out how he got in there, it was hanging in the air above the walk area, I though!

There is a walkway outside, running up & down the length of the side next to lifeboats, for maintenance purposes by authorized crew members. Your cabin stewards and room service folks are not going to be out & about peeking into the cabins - and, they are usually outside when the ship is docked and/or anchored, also necessary when they are lanuching the boats for tender operation. It's always a good idea to keep the curtains at least semi-close - we always bring some safety pins and/or clips. It's no different than living in an apartment hi-rise with a balcony and reasons to not run around (semi) undressed inside in the living room and not expected to be seen by unsuspecting neighbors across the street.

SDC8002.jpg.2c22eacd06226b639285306651398e8c.jpg

SDC8003.jpg.37d36c433b0e0821a30e52a6bb971827.jpg

SDC8004.jpg.0a2cfe9a7d50a5b82818d3b20baf9d84.jpg

After I posted this, I mentioned the thread to Doug to make sure I remembered it correctly and he said I was confusing the Star's BL with the Pearls.. Sorry about that. 8-)

You may have the ability to delete or edit your own posts. If that is the case you should delete/edit your post with the invalid information so that it doesn't crop up again in future searches for other forum users.

You may have the ability to delete or edit your own posts. If that is the case you should delete/edit your post with the invalid information so that it doesn't crop up again in future searches for other forum users.

Yes..... except he posted this on January 20,2011!!!

Mking,

We just had a room in between the life boats on deck 8 a few months ago. Yes, you could see out to the water and buildings, but yes it was obstructed.

inside-window-M.jpg

Archived