Falmouth??

Swamp Cruiser

From USA Today Cruise Blog (Gene Sloan)

The first call into Falmouth is now slated to be the Voyager of the Seas on Feb. 17. The Oasis of the Seas will debut there on March 22, Tercek said, one week before the Allure of the Seas, which was originally scheduled to call there on March 16.

So, unless they change it yet again, you should be okay, but that's NOT a certainty. I guess it's just going to be part of the adventure! :D

• 2 weeks later...
Falmouth isn't open yet - it keeps getting delayed. I was originally scheduled there (believe it was a tender) for the January 30 cruise, but it's been changed to Montego Bay.

Howdy neighbor! Do you know how far Ocho Rios and Mobay are from Falsmouth? We booked the Mariner for 1/8/12 and Falsmouth is one of the ports of call. Sure wish we were going to Roatan instead but this was the decision we made <sigh> Jamaica is defintely a port that we will book an excursion thru the cruise line.

Loved, love the Voyager and glad the Mariner is the same class of ship.

Falmouth isn't open yet - it keeps getting delayed. I was originally scheduled there (believe it was a tender) for the January 30 cruise, but it's been changed to Montego Bay.

I never knew Falmouth was closed...what do you mean not open yet? We're schedule to go there in July but to be honest I think I rather go to Montego Bay. I've never even heard of Falmouth lol

Falmouth is a new stop (I believe) and the brand new pier and welcoming area is behind schedule. Not to mention the town itself. The whole area was/is being freshen-up to accommodate the cruise ships now scheduled to visit.

RC's first planned stop was the Freedom during the first week of January. RC chose to delay visits until the area was somewhat ready for visitors. I think the first ones are scheduled to visit around 2/20 and we are supposed to be there on 2/23. I am really hoping for Montego Bay myself.

Sheal

I'm not sure but I think Falsmouth is halfway between Ocho Rios and Montego Bay which RCI feels will offer more options for excursions. However, it will take longer to get to either one. I have no idea what Falsmouth itself has to offer. It's a port of call on our Mariner cruise and I need to do the research. We never booked a cruise this far in advance. How will I make it until then??? My DH thinks I am over obsessed :rolleyes:

Here is an update from today on the status of the Falmouth port from Travel Weekly. See the link at the bottom for the complete article. ;)

Yes Falmouth is about halfway between MoBay and OchoRios, slightly closer to MoBay i believe.

We have a private tour booked to Dunns River Falls, then some sightseeing and Jerk Chicken-Red Stripe beer at an oceanfront restaraunt, then off to Margaritaville to finish us off.

Jamaica's Falmouth port nearly ready for its first calls

By Gay Nagle Myers

FalmouthPier-Jamaica-underconstruction.jpgFALMOUTH, Jamaica -- Falmouth, the much-touted, two-berth cruise port under construction on Jamaica's north coast, is ready for business.

Well, almost.

http://www.travelweekly.com/Caribbean-Travel/Jamaica-s-Falmouth-port-nearly-ready-for-its-first-calls/

From Royal Caribbean:

http://www.nationofwhynot.com/blog/?p=3221

As we have been reporting, our cruise ships will start calling on a new destination in February 2011 - Falmouth, Jamaica. Voyager of the Seas will be the first Royal Caribbean ship to visit Falmouth on February 17th and Oasis of the Seas and Allure of the Seas will begin calling in March 2011.

In February, we will have more than half of the site's exterior complete and by mid-March almost all of the building exteriors are expected to be finished. Construction is scheduled to conclude by the first of June. Since the Falmouth Port facilities will still be under construction for initial ship calls in February we encourage guests to participate in an organized tour as the best way to experience Jamaica from this new port-of-call.

I agree! I hope Falmouth becomes a nice hang out if you don't want to venture far from the ship. A whole village DOES sound exciting!

It would be exciting if the shops and restaurants were open.I'm hoping our March cruise on the Navigator changes to Montego Bay because we will have to pay transportation to MOBay to be able to have access to restaurnats,shop,or go to the beach.

It would be exciting if the shops and restaurants were open.I'm hoping our March cruise on the Navigator changes to Montego Bay because we will have to pay transportation to MOBay to be able to have access to restaurnats,shop,or go to the beach.

Unfortunately, I read that Falmouth won't be totally "ready" when the first cruise ships dock later this month. I think Voyager is first in Feb. and then Allure and Oasis in March. I guess Navigator also.

Yes, People ARE complaining of the distance between Falmouth and Mobay and Ocho Rios. When all is said and done I wonder what the feedback will be.

Have a great cruise.

I'm guessing the port will be complete by our cruise in July. I'm hoping that by that time, someone will be able to have seen the port (completed) and be able to report back on this "newbie" cruise spot. Geez...nothing but a drawing :(.

If you look at post #10 above there is a link to an article from Travel Weekly. Within that article there is a link to a slideshow that has some somewhat current photos of the port.

Thanks everyone for the replies.... I will be there in late March and will post once we return on the ports status.

We plan on taking a short tour of the area and then heading to Montego Bay.

Since we will be stopping at Falmouth next Jan., I will be very interested in your feedback. Have a great cruise. Smooth sails to you.

Can't wait to read all about it and see pictures. I did read, however, that Falmouth won't be totally finished until July and that people were cautioned to book excursions on board which leaves me to think not much will be open now. I just hope they aren't pushing things before Falmoth is ready.

Have smooth sails and great cruises, all!

Archived