Falmouth??

Swamp Cruiser

On March 10th, we sailed into Falmouth on the NOS, with very low expectations. First, it was Jamaica and I share the not so positive opinion that many cruisers have of Jamaica ports of call. Secondly, the experiences of other CC members of the yet unfinished port did not raise expectations.

The bands and the activities could almost make you forget that the site was still under construction. It was truly uplifting and forced many of the “I’m not getting off the ship” types to venture forth. After wandering the pier and shops inside the fenced in area, we had 3 plans in mind. First was to take the free shuttle to Rose Hall, second was to walk the town, and third was to find a way to a place I had read about on the boards called My Time n Place. There was a line waiting for transportation to Rose Hall and we are not shoppers, so that idea fell to the bottom of the list.

As we approached the fence a male among a group of 3 women just returning from outside warned us not to go out. He said it was a mob scene. One of the women said it was not and not to pay any attention to him. We ventured to the gate and were met by friendly security that asked where we going and what our plans were. Looking beyond, it did not seem at all unruly. We explained our thoughts of My Time n Place and a look around. Security asked if we wanted a taxi and we said yes. Security spent some time finding a taxi that knew exactly where we wanted to go. Although only a few miles from the port, most of the taxi drivers were from Montego Bay or elsewhere and really did not know the area. Security checked his credentials and we felt very safe taking the taxi. We did walk a bit through the area and I don’t know where the previously mentioned male had traveled in the past, but short of Bermuda and Grand Cayman, this was the most pleasant Carribean port I have ever been to - no aggressive salespeople and no feeling of a need to clutch your purse.

Now for the highlight of our visit - My Time n Place (http://www.mytimenplace.com). As we approached I was a bit apprehensive. It appeared a bit run down and I was not sure of what I had let myself in for. The second we walked out to the deserted sandy beach, I knew I had found the spot. We had 2 lounges in the shade and a pina colada in hand within 5 minutes. The soft waves and shelless beach made for perfect swimming. We had a jerked beef, pork and chicken lunch and countless pina coladas. Tony, the owner, spent much time with us explaining his concept for his property and hopes for Falmouth. We explored the cabins and knew it would be a place for a perfect, no hassle vacation. That is if room service, TV, grandiose lobbies and hundreds of other guests are not requirements. Imagine a vacation in a bathing suit and sarong.

At the appointed time our taxi arrived to bring us back to the ship with a quick drive through of the town. He waited for us as we were just not quite ready to leave.

On the negative side, $40 round trip for a taxi ride of about 5 minutes is rather high and we forgot our backpack in the taxi. Fortunately it only contained the ship’s beach towels (that cost us $40 for not returning them). We remembered the backpack 15 minutes after leaving the taxi, but he was nowhere to be found. As the ship was sailing at 5PM and it was now 4:30, we gave up the search. I believe if you contact Tony ahead of time, more reasonable travel arrangements might be made.

On March 10th, we sailed into Falmouth on the NOS, with very low expectations. First, it was Jamaica and I share the not so positive opinion that many cruisers have of Jamaica ports of call. Secondly, the experiences of other CC members of the yet unfinished port did not raise expectations.

The bands and the activities could almost make you forget that the site was still under construction. It was truly uplifting and forced many of the “I’m not getting off the ship” types to venture forth. After wandering the pier and shops inside the fenced in area, we had 3 plans in mind. First was to take the free shuttle to Rose Hall, second was to walk the town, and third was to find a way to a place I had read about on the boards called My Time n Place. There was a line waiting for transportation to Rose Hall and we are not shoppers, so that idea fell to the bottom of the list.

As we approached the fence a male among a group of 3 women just returning from outside warned us not to go out. He said it was a mob scene. One of the women said it was not and not to pay any attention to him. We ventured to the gate and were met by friendly security that asked where we going and what our plans were. Looking beyond, it did not seem at all unruly. We explained our thoughts of My Time n Place and a look around. Security asked if we wanted a taxi and we said yes. Security spent some time finding a taxi that knew exactly where we wanted to go. Although only a few miles from the port, most of the taxi drivers were from Montego Bay or elsewhere and really did not know the area. Security checked his credentials and we felt very safe taking the taxi. We did walk a bit through the area and I don’t know where the previously mentioned male had traveled in the past, but short of Bermuda and Grand Cayman, this was the most pleasant Carribean port I have ever been to - no aggressive salespeople and no feeling of a need to clutch your purse.

Now for the highlight of our visit - My Time n Place (www.mytimenplace.com). As we approached I was a bit apprehensive. It appeared a bit run down and I was not sure of what I had let myself in for. The second we walked out to the deserted sandy beach, I knew I had found the spot. We had 2 lounges in the shade and a pina colada in hand within 5 minutes. The soft waves and shelless beach made for perfect swimming. We had a jerked beef, pork and chicken lunch and countless pina coladas. Tony, the owner, spent much time with us explaining his concept for his property and hopes for Falmouth. We explored the cabins and knew it would be a place for a perfect, no hassle vacation. That is if room service, TV, grandiose lobbies and hundreds of other guests are not requirements. Imagine a vacation in a bathing suit and sarong.

At the appointed time our taxi arrived to bring us back to the ship with a quick drive through of the town. He waited for us as we were just not quite ready to leave.

On the negative side, $40 round trip for a taxi ride of about 5 minutes is rather high and we forgot our backpack in the taxi. Fortunately it only contained the ship’s beach towels (that cost us $40 for not returning them). We remembered the backpack 15 minutes after leaving the taxi, but he was nowhere to be found. As the ship was sailing at 5PM and it was now 4:30, we gave up the search. I believe if you contact Tony ahead of time, more reasonable travel arrangements might be made.

I would like to go to that place (my time and place) is it easy to find? how did you find it?

Can someone that has been here give some more info?

Are there beach chairs? Is it private? Is there a ton of people? ...

Would also like this info. What about drink and food costs? The website does not provide a lot of info. Thanks.

This is my update on Falmouth as of 4 days ago:

5588939039_60c27c7351.jpg

5588938367_ff0e294b33.jpg

5589530476_920472d430.jpg

5588936959_5ddf21f2cb.jpg

5589528706_52d5c8b43e.jpg

5589526822_aae8724201.jpg

IMHO, Falmouth is not ready. It reminds me of a county fair that is weeks away from opening. Lots of tents. Lots of half-built barns. The vendors that are there are all very friendly, but all in costume. It's like you are walking through a gift shop at Caribbean Disneyworld. You are basically forced to tour from there, unless you have a great insight to some well-hidden resort nearby. Kudos to those that do. To the rest of us, even the taxis at Rose Hall have been banned (via gates) so the option of taxi'ing into other MoBay areas was verbotten. The economical/sociological/philosophical discussions about Falmouth with go on. For me, lovely people, but not a good port.......yet.

This is my update on Falmouth as of 4 days ago:

IMHO, Falmouth is not ready. It reminds me of a county fair that is weeks away from opening. Lots of tents. Lots of half-built barns. The vendors that are there are all very friendly, but all in costume. It's like you are walking through a gift shop at Caribbean Disneyworld. You are basically forced to tour from there, unless you have a great insight to some well-hidden resort nearby. Kudos to those that do. To the rest of us, even the taxis at Rose Hall have been banned (via gates) so the option of taxi'ing into other MoBay areas was verbotten. The economical/sociological/philosophical discussions about Falmouth with go on. For me, lovely people, but not a good port.......yet.

Very helpful. Thanks for the pix. We won't arrive there until August so some progress will likely be made by then. Even so - it appears we will have to journey away from Falmouth.

Archived