If you don't book an excursion at port in the Carribbean....

wrxrob

Are there still things to do? If I don't book an excursion at the port, what kinds of activities are universally available. I'm guessing there are plenty of shops, restaurants and bars near most piers.

At this point, the ports in question are:

St Maarten

St Thomas

Princess Cays

Grand Turk

Are there still things to do? If I don't book an excursion at the port, what kinds of activities are universally available. I'm guessing there are plenty of shops, restaurants and bars near most piers.

St Maarten

St Thomas

Princess Cays

Grand Turk

St. Thomas and St. Maarten are both great shopping islands. Excellent place to buy jewelry if needed. You can get some great deals if you shop around. I believe that Princess Cays and Turks are more beach islands, not sure if there is much else to do. From what I understand Turks can be expensive.

The first thing we do is read a guidebook on our ports, so we'll know what's available and where it is! Then we decide what we'd like to do. Most things are quite easy and cheap to do on your own. shopping, bars, beaches, restaurants, etc....are easy DIY things.

The thing is, you need to KNOW what's there!

St Maarten - some shopping @ port but not allot...don't remember any restaurants, but you can walk (about 1.5 mi.), take cab or water taxi into Phillipsburg for much more shopping - food & beach.

St Thomas - depends on which port you dock @ - most of the time Princess now docks @ Crown pier - some shopping & food close but much more if you take a taxi downtown, much more shopping & restaurants ect. if you dock @ Havensight pier.

Princess Cays - This is more of a beach day...Princess does a BBQ - chicken, burgers, dogs, ribs ect. - they have lots of beach chairs - volleyball net set up...water "toy" for rent...it is a very nice relaxing place. There are some small stores for souvenirs and such...also a few local vendors.

Grand Turk - great beach area right @ pier, nice shopping area & a lg. Margaritaville with pool, bar ect. - also just outside the port area you can rent a golf cart & explore the island on your own if you like. it is only about 7-8 miles long and about 1.5 mi. across.

Hope this helps some...Have a great cruise :D

In St Maarten, we always walk down the pathway from the pier to the main shopping area in Phillipsberg and the beach. It's about a 20 minute walk (but you can take the water taxi too). There is plenty to do, and the beach is very nice - you can rent two chairs and an umbrella for a nominal fee.

In Grand Turk, we booked an excursion, but wish we had just walked off the ship and spent the whole time at the beach right there. The water was wonderful, very buoyant so you can stay afloat with minimal effort and not get tired. There are lots of shops and bars in the general area, or it is easy to just walk back onto the ship for lunch.

Princess Cays is a private island, so there is plenty to eat and do without booking an excursion.

St. Thomas - you will probably dock at Crown Bay, unless the Oasis of the Seas is in port on the same day, and then you'd dock in Havensight. There isn't much at the Crown Bay port, but you could walk or take a short cab ride to Emerald Beach at Lindbergh Bay. There are lots of facilities there. At Havensight, there is a large shopping complex. From Havensight, you could take a long walk into town, or just take a cab. I would recommend an excursion at this port because the beaches and sights are so beautiful, but are pretty far away. We used Papa Bear of Air Force One Tours (www.havefunwithus.com) and had an amazing time! He is an excellent guide, and very reasonably priced.

We have been cruising for about forty years all over the world and seldom to ever book any excursions or private tours. Any Caribbean island can be done on your own and its just a matter of what you want to do and the best way to accomplish the task. We normally do a lot of beach days and snorkeling and on most islands we either use a taxi or the local buses. On St Maarten there is a wonderful watertaxi service that will take you from the port right to Phillispburg where there is plenty of shopping and even a pretty nice beach. On this island we have also rented a car in order to explore the entire island and get over to Marigot. As to Princess Cays, this is simply a beach party. You go over to the beach and there are plenty of chairs (free), lots of food, etc. We take our own snorkel gear so we do some snorkeling here, but no reason for any excursion. Grand Turk is also pretty much a beach (or pool) day. Carnival Corp built a nice little complex at this port that has some shops, a bar and restaurant. Again, the beach is free. As to St Thomas, just about anything they do on an excursion you can do on your own for less money. There are plenty of taxis that go anywhere on the island and the prices are fixed by the government.

Hank

Hi there Hank. Re the water taxi service you mentioned...what's the charge? Does it only go to town or can you go elsewhere? We also don't book excursions through the cruise line and just use cabs or buses. Any suggestions as where we should have the cab driver take us in St. Maartan and St. Thomas? Unlike you and your wife, we aren't into snorkeling (in fact, DH hates the beach) so please keep that in mind when you make your recommendations. BTW, we're only in port till 6PM in those islands.

Hi there Hank. Re the water taxi service you mentioned...what's the charge? Does it only go to town or can you go elsewhere? We also don't book excursions through the cruise line and just use cabs or buses. Any suggestions as where we should have the cab driver take us in St. Maartan and St. Thomas? Unlike you and your wife, we aren't into snorkeling (in fact, DH hates the beach) so please keep that in mind when you make your recommendations. BTW, we're only in port till 6PM in those islands.

I cannot recall the exact cost but think it was about $6 which gets you unlimited use for the entire day. The water taxi only goes between the port and downtown Phillipsburg which is one of the best (if not the best) shopping place in the entire Caribbean. For what its worth, most folks that vacation in the Caribbean go for the weather, beaches and water related activities. If you look at the cruise line excursions that will give you a good idea what sites and activities are available on the islands (this does not mean you have to use the cruise excursions), We have been totally underwhelmed by so-called tourist attractions on most of the islands (including St Thomas and St Maarten. Other then the water (and beaches) my favorite activity in St Maarten is shopping for Scotch Whiskey at a local liquor store that has an amazing collection :) When we don't feel like beach vacations we generally go off to Europe or Asia. You can get some very good info on each island by going to the cruise critic port boards for each island where you will certainly find other folks who similar likes and dislikes. Your DH is certainly not alone in his dislike of beaches.

Hank

My recommendation for St Thomas and St Maarten if you dislike the beach is to find a reputable private tour guide on the ports of call board for each of these island, and arrange a sightseeing tour that would bring you to all the places worth seeing. There are many, many private guides out there. Alternatively, you can look at the sightseeing tours they offer to get an idea of what you'd like to do, and then hire a taxi to take you there. If you like to shop, the main shopping district is within walking distance (or water taxi distance) on St Maarten, and a short cab ride on St. Thomas.

While I have never been to any of these islands, yet, I have learned that you don't even have to buy a guide book or check one out at the library. Go on-line and read about things to do in these islands:

Here's an idea that I hope help you.

St Maarten - http://www.caribbeanportreviews.com/StMaarten.htm

Archived