Formal nights

torty

They usually try and organise them on sea days but with some itineries this may not be possible. The first formal night is usually the second night, ocassionally third night. The first and last nights are always casual.

Brian

when do you actually find out when the formal nights are?? beforehand or whilst you are onboard? We are on ventura in November.

thanks in advance.

We found out in the cabin. You receive a cruise overview, which gives you the dress code for each night for the whole cruise. Ours was a Transatlantic which could differ to yours, but we had formals on 2nd sea day, 3 days later (sea day), 2 days later (sea day) then 5 days later, port day. All the rest were smart casual. :)

ETA This was on Ventura not Azura.

In olden days, when Noah was a captain, the evening dress code depended on the ship's activity that day.

First and last nights were casual, as where any evenings in port where the ship sailed after 6pm.

Days at sea were formal.

All others were semi-formal (in those days termed informal)

You knew how to dress in the evening without the need to consult any document.

That system is however, long gone on P&O, and codes are imposed seemingly at random with the sole intention of getting the "right" number of each, even if that means formal on a port day.

Such is progress.

when do you actually find out when the formal nights are?? beforehand or whilst you are onboard? We are on ventura in November.

thanks in advance.

Hello ,

The formal nights are always on sea days one of which is usually a " Black & White " night where both Ladies and Men wear black and white outfits only . The number of formal nights will be shown in you cruise summary inside the info book you receive .

The first and last nights are always casual and one casual night has a Tropical theme where you try and wear very colourful outfits , so pack a bright shirt . Our cruise during Feb . has 4 formal and 10 smart casual nights , the formal nights usually average two per week so this should give you a good idea .

Mr D .

Oh no, a black and white night too, I thought I'd sorted my outfits! Please don't tell me there's a toga party night too!:eek:

Gillian

Black and white night is easy.....Its on a formal night , and the men are ok and wear the dinner suit (tux) so they are OK, although some men wear a white jacket with their tux trousers for a change, and perhaps a black and white tie, the ladies can wear a black dress with white shawl, wrap, or perhaps white jewellery or a rose on the dress for example, so in other words - most of us have a black formal dress, just find something white to go with it. Or a white dress with black accessories:rolleyes:, or you will see ladies in a black and white dress.

Gillian

Black and white night is easy.....Its on a formal night , and the men are ok and wear the dinner suit (tux) so they are OK, although some men wear a white jacket with their tux trousers for a change, and perhaps a black and white tie, the ladies can wear a black dress with white shawl, wrap, or perhaps white jewellery or a rose on the dress for example, so in other words - most of us have a black formal dress, just find something white to go with it. Or a white dress with black accessories:rolleyes:, or you will see ladies in a black and white dress.

Oh I know but I purposely avoided buying black but never mind we might give that one a miss....and Linda, where did you find out about a C&W and 70's night?

Oh I know but I purposely avoided buying black but never mind we might give that one a miss....and Linda, where did you find out about a C&W and 70's night?

I hope you don't mean missing the Black and white Gala dinner? Its the best menu usually of the cruise...if you haven't got a black or white dress, don't worry,;)

I hope you don't mean missing the Black and white Gala dinner? Its the best menu usually of the cruise...if you haven't got a black or white dress, don't worry,;)

One of the dresses I have bought is navyblue with silver beaded detailing for formal nights, perhaps I'll just crack on that I'm colour blind:D

Archived