Has anybody done an Elderhostel Alaska trip?

fletcher57

Hi, Well I was hoping to go to Alaska on a Princess cruise but that might not happen. I did see an interesting trip put on my Elderhostel (now Road Scholar). Has anybody done one of these? Can you tell me what the cabins are like? thanks. Joyce

my parents did the southeast elder hostel (the hostile elderly) a few years back. their transportation was the alaska marine highway (the ferry, blue canoe, etc). the cabins are very utilitarian. they really enjoyed the programs provided, but.... there was no cruising for pleasure. the ferry is our bus.

my parents did the southeast elder hostel (the hostile elderly) a few years back. their transportation was the alaska marine highway (the ferry, blue canoe, etc). the cabins are very utilitarian. they really enjoyed the programs provided, but.... there was no cruising for pleasure. the ferry is our bus.

Thank you for your reply. Actually I was thinking of doing the Inside Passage trip which goes from Sitka to Sitka. First night is in a hotel. The other nights are on board a boat. Would love to know what the cabins are like. Thanks.

You can get a cabin with one set of bunk beds or two sets. Some have private baths, none have televisions. I like the cabins in the very back of the ferry. Something about the vibration from the prop that puts me to sleep.

You can get a cabin with one set of bunk beds or two sets. Some have private baths, none have televisions. I like the cabins in the very back of the ferry. Something about the vibration from the prop that puts me to sleep.

The trip I'm talking about is Alaska's Inside Passage Up Close. The ferry system is not used. You spend the first night in a hotel and the other nights on a boat called the Admiralty Dream.

The trip I'm talking about is Alaska's Inside Passage Up Close. The ferry system is not used. You spend the first night in a hotel and the other nights on a boat called the Admiralty Dream.

Wow, I just looked at the offer and it looks amazing. Have you posted your question over at TripAdvisor? If you do go with this trip, please come back and give us a review.

http://www.roadscholar.org/programs/programdetail.asp?DId=1%2D5BOWX5

The Admiralty Dream is the former Cruise West Spirit of Columbia. Here is a link to the deck plans. I didn't see any cabin pictures:

http://www.alaskandreamcruises.com/vessels-pricing/admiralty-dream-deck-plans-and-pricing/

Thanks for the info July. Assuming she hasn't undergone any drastic changes it looks as though each cabin has its own toilet facilities. I've been on a Maine windjammer where the only heads (toilets) are on deck so if you have to hit the head in the middle of the night it means trying to walk noiselessly from your cabin, up a ladder, along a deck and into a toilet and back. Not fun.

Wow, I just looked at the offer and it looks amazing. Have you posted your question over at TripAdvisor? If you do go with this trip, please come back and give us a review.

http://www.roadscholar.org/programs/programdetail.asp?DId=1%2D5BOWX5

Hi, Thought I'd let you know that I just put my deposit down on the Road Scholar Alaska's Inside Passage Close-up trip 7/8-7/16 $4799 which includes free air fare from Boston. Yippee! Can't wait. Wish there was a roll call for Elderhostel (Road Scholar) trips.

Joyce

Archived