San Pedro from a San Pedran

Wineaux

Wineaux, just to let you know that after looking over your SP Restaurant suggestions I emailed SPBC regarding a CC pre-cruise dinner. I recieved a lovely email from them saying they would put out appetizers for us to start off and that they would also give us a tour. What a very nice gesture. Thanks for all of your wonderful info & suggestions.

By the way, any info on Sunseeker Tours? I have booked them post cruise.

That's awesome about the SPBC!! James Brown is the owner and a really great guy, you'll enjoy yourselves.

Don't know anything about Sunseeker though. :(

Wineaux ~ any suggestion for Internet access near/by the SP cruise port? Maybe an outdoor restaurant or pub or something of the sort where we can get a bite to eat or have a drink and I can contact home on the mini laptop??

If you are looking for food AND alcohol San Pedro Brewing Company has free wi-fi as well as the Crowne Plaza Hotel. Sacred Grounds coffee shop and Mishi's Strudel have free wi-fi as well.

Edited by Wineaux

If you are looking for food AND alcohol San Pedro Brewing Company has free wi-fi as well as the Crowne Plaza Hotel. Sacred Grounds coffee shop and Mishi's Strudel have free wi-fi as well.

We ate at Mishi's Streudle 3 months ago and can't wait to go back next

month! Wonderful, wonderful streudle

whats is your opinion on CP or HOliday Inn LOng BEach. saiking out of Pedro and only 1 night pre cruise. All happening Sept 10th and sailing back home to Aussie. Many thanks .Irene and Stan.

whats is your opinion on CP or HOliday Inn LOng BEach. saiking out of Pedro and only 1 night pre cruise. All happening Sept 10th and sailing back home to Aussie. Many thanks .Irene and Stan.

There are two Holiday Inns in Long Beach...one by the airport, the other at Atlantic and 11th...

I would NOT stay at either...

There is a very limited are of Long Beach one should look at...either if sailing out of Long Beach on Carnival...or if needing an alternative to San Pedro...

But, if you are sailing out of San Pedro and only here for one night, stay at the Crowne Plaza San Pedro...

The LB Airport Holiday Inn is, basically, at a freeway offramp near nothing...milers from either pier...

The Holiday Inn "Downtown" is a couple miles to the north of the "good" tourist area of Long Beach...sort of in a scuzzy area with very little charm...

If you must stay in Long Beach (which is not necessarily a bad idea if you have a little time to spend and want to visit the Aquarium, the Queen Mary, etc.), then stay at one of these hotels...and these hotels only: Hyatt, Westin, Renaissance, Avia, Hilton, Residence Inn Downtown, Courtyard Downtown or Maya-Doubletree...

But, getting in just the day before, you likely will have little time for any sightseeing...The Crowne Plaza will be the most convenient and nicest hotel for your purposes...

There are two Holiday Inns in Long Beach...one by the airport, the other at Atlantic and 11th...

I would NOT stay at either...

There is a very limited are of Long Beach one should look at...either if sailing out of Long Beach on Carnival...or if needing an alternative to San Pedro...

But, if you are sailing out of San Pedro and only here for one night, stay at the Crowne Plaza San Pedro...

The LB Airport Holiday Inn is, basically, at a freeway offramp near nothing...milers from either pier...

The Holiday Inn "Downtown" is a couple miles to the north of the "good" tourist area of Long Beach...sort of in a scuzzy area with very little charm...

If you must stay in Long Beach (which is not necessarily a bad idea if you have a little time to spend and want to visit the Aquarium, the Queen Mary, etc.), then stay at one of these hotels...and these hotels only: Hyatt, Westin, Renaissance, Avia, Hilton, Residence Inn Downtown, Courtyard Downtown or Maya-Doubletree...

But, getting in just the day before, you likely will have little time for any sightseeing...The Crowne Plaza will be the most convenient and nicest hotel for your purposes...

Thanks for the info. Only trying to choose a HOliday Inn /Crowne PLaza as we have reductions for them re relations working for the group.

Maybe should consider another group. TA said Best WEstsrn???? However, as you say only a short time so maybe near San Pedro departing from there and then not anopther cab fare??

Regards and thanks Irene and Stan.

Thanks for the info. Only trying to choose a HOliday Inn /Crowne PLaza as we have reductions for them re relations working for the group.

Maybe should consider another group. TA said Best WEstsrn???? However, as you say only a short time so maybe near San Pedro departing from there and then not anopther cab fare??

If you are departing from San Pedro, the Crowne Plaza is a very nice hotel and very well located vis-a-vis the cruise terminal...They are walking distance from several good restaurants...and they have a free shuttle to the pier...

There really is no reason to search for anything else...

Those Holiday Inns are not well-located for your needs and they are not as nice...

You are not going to find another hotel as well suited for what you need...

And, yes, you will save on additional cab fares...

Cab fare from downtown Long Beach to the port runs around $25 according to some recent posts. I live in Long Beach and would absolutely not stay at a Holiday Inn at 11th and Atlantic. Not a good neighborhood and directly across the street from a major hospital with lots of ambulance noise. The other Holiday Inn is in a nicer neighborhood--but absolutely nothing to do around there if you don't have a car. Cab fare would probably be $10 more from there. The Best Western Convention Center (the only one you should consider--the others are in iffy neighborhoods if my memory serves me right), is on Bruin Steve's ONLY if you must list. Unless the rates you are getting for these places in Long Beach are such a bargain, I would use priceline, (bid your own travel), San Pedro ONLY, 3 (or is it 3 1/2 stars) ONLY, start a $55 -- you should be either the CP or the DT. Good hotels. Free shuttle to port. Good neighborhood in San Pedro.

Edited by PatriciaF

Cab fare from downtown Long Beach to the port runs around $25 according to some recent posts. I live in Long Beach and would absolutely not stay at a Holiday Inn at 11th and Atlantic. Not a good neighborhood and directly across the street from a major hospital with lots of ambulance noise. The other Holiday Inn is in a nicer neighborhood--but absolutely nothing to do around there if you don't have a car. Cab fare would probably be $10 more from there. The Best Western Convention Center (the only one you should consider--the others are in iffy neighborhoods if my memory serves me right), is on Bruin Steve's ONLY if you must list. Unless the rates you are getting for these places in Long Beach are such a bargain, I would use priceline, (bid your own travel), San Pedro ONLY, 3 (or is it 3 1/2 stars) ONLY, start a $55 -- you should be either the CP or the DT. Good hotels. Free shuttle to port. Good neighborhood in San Pedro.

DEcided on Crowne PLaza San Pedro. It was a good deal compared to others and only there for such a short time. Did not realise how wrong you can be when choosing so many thanks for help. Regards Irene and Stan.

DEcided on Crowne PLaza San Pedro. It was a good deal compared to others and only there for such a short time. Did not realise how wrong you can be when choosing so many thanks for help. Regards Irene and Stan.

Welcome to San Peeeeedro!!!!!!

Welcome to San Peeeeedro!!!!!!

Thank for welcome. Now do you know, must do, of a good wine store to purchase some wines before cruising. When in San Fran friends reccomended Joes?? and found some Aussie and NZ wines to our liking. Bye Irene and Stan.

I have one for you..

..in case our cruise doesn't offer Luggage Express to the airport/airline we use .. and we want to spend the day with relatives and/or on Catalina Island WITHOUT luggage... do you know if there are any luggage storage options at the San Pedro Cruise Port or at/near the Catalina Express (San Pedro) Port?? We will not be getting a hotel room in San Pedro before or after the cruise, FYI.

Thank you in advance for this wonderful little thread! :)

I have one for you..

..in case our cruise doesn't offer Luggage Express to the airport/airline we use .. and we want to spend the day with relatives and/or on Catalina Island WITHOUT luggage... do you know if there are any luggage storage options at the San Pedro Cruise Port or at/near the Catalina Express (San Pedro) Port?? We will not be getting a hotel room in San Pedro before or after the cruise, FYI.

Unfortunately, there are no luggage storage options that i know of. are you staying at one of the hotels before your cruise? they may be willing to store your luggage for you that day.

Edited by Wineaux

i just booked the doubletree san pedro because they have a FABULOUS sleep/park package. We are cruising for 15 days, and they will keep the car there and offer free shuttle to the pier.

they are rated the same as the Crowne Plaza on trip advisor, so I figured it would be fine for 1 night.

I have one for you..

In trying to answer this question for some one else, I called the Catalina Chamber of Commerce. I was told that there was a luggage storage location right where the boats from San Pedro/Long Beach/Newport dock and was give a number. Tried calling twice, but never got an answer.

In trying to answer this question for some one else, I called the Catalina Chamber of Commerce. I was told that there was a luggage storage location right where the boats from San Pedro/Long Beach/Newport dock and was give a number. Tried calling twice, but never got an answer.
The number you're calling may be for the San Pedro Catalina Express offices....but they are closed until April, when the Express starts running again out of San Pedro.

This is the reservation number...(800) 481-3470...but you may be able to manipulate your way through the maze of pressing buttons to get to general questions....

On a review of a recent cruise running out of the San Pedro Cruise terminal for the NCL Star the poster mentioned that they had to go through one of the new "full body scanners". Do you know if that is true? Has the Port Authority changed over to the new "full body scanners" that are used by the TSA at the major airports or are they using the standard airport walk thru "metal detectors"?

If you are departing from San Pedro, the Crowne Plaza is a very nice hotel and very well located vis-a-vis the cruise terminal...They are walking distance from several good restaurants...and they have a free shuttle to the pier...

There really is no reason to search for anything else...

Those Holiday Inns are not well-located for your needs and they are not as nice...

You are not going to find another hotel as well suited for what you need...

And, yes, you will save on additional cab fares...

gl

I don't know if this has already been posted as I didn't read the entire thread but the CP has GREAT rates on Priceline....you can usually get a precruise room for between $60 and $75 per night.

On a review of a recent cruise running out of the San Pedro Cruise terminal for the NCL Star the poster mentioned that they had to go through one of the new "full body scanners". Do you know if that is true? Has the Port Authority changed over to the new "full body scanners" that are used by the TSA at the major airports or are they using the standard airport walk thru "metal detectors"?

I don't know about Pier 93, but at 91-92 in January it was the standard metal detectors.

The number you're calling may be for the San Pedro Catalina Express offices....but they are closed until April, when the Express starts running again out of San Pedro.

This is the reservation number...(800) 481-3470...but you may be able to manipulate your way through the maze of pressing buttons to get to general questions....

No I tried the Catalina Express office (I called Long Beach as this was a Long Beach question.) From there I went to the Catalina Chamber of Commerce--I was definitely calling an Avalon number.

Catalina Baggage Delivery & Storage Services

Street: Cabrillo Mole # 1

Avalon, ca 90704-

Phone: (310) 510-0766

i just booked the doubletree san pedro because they have a FABULOUS sleep/park package. We are cruising for 15 days, and they will keep the car there and offer free shuttle to the pier.

they are rated the same as the Crowne Plaza on trip advisor, so I figured it would be fine for 1 night.

DTI is a nice hotel in a nice area in the marina. If need be they can shuttle you into downtown.

Can anyone tell me what my car rental options are in San Pedro? We return on Sunday March 13 and want to rent a car and explore the area for a week. I know there is an Enterprise in the CP (booked on Priceline @ $75 night before we leave) but I wonder what else is available. As long as there is a shuttle that will pick us up from the pier. Thanks in advance! Fantastic info so far.