Splendor Arriving in SF - Pics

njoyndride

Channel 7 news last night said they would be working on the ship 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

I hope that's true.

That's not unusual. They always work 24/7 on all ships in drydock because drydock time is extremely $$$$$$$$$$$ and limited. There was a great documentary on Learning Channel last year about drydocks and cruise ships. It's amazing what they overhauled in that brief week they had the Sea Princess.

Does anyone know how long Splendor is scheduled to be in drydock now?

K

That's not unusual. They always work 24/7 on all ships in drydock because drydock time is extremely $$$$$$$$$$$ and limited. There was a great documentary on Learning Channel last year about drydocks and cruise ships. It's amazing what they overhauled in that brief week they had the Sea Princess.

Does anyone know how long Splendor is scheduled to be in drydock now?

K

All the local (SF) news outlets are saying one month -- which I think they are saying based on being ready for 2/20. However, one would think that it would need to leave SF 5-7 days prior to that in order to do some final sea trials before docking on Long Beach.

I've also received emails from Carnival saying things like "2 weeks of sea trials", which would mean it would only be in dry dock for about 2 weeks and then be set loose to test everything that was installed.

Who really knows the reality. I just hope my ass is on it come 2/20.

Was she still listing to one side? It looked a bit like it from one of the photos but could be just me.

Thanks for the great pix, BTW! Love the NBC news camera shots. ;)

Thanks for all the nice comps you guys. I didn't notice a list at all!

LOL! and probably the only one wearing flip flops!

LOL I wondered what that slapping sound was!

All the local (SF) news outlets are saying one month -- which I think they are saying based on being ready for 2/20. However, one would think that it would need to leave SF 5-7 days prior to that in order to do some final sea trials before docking on Long Beach.

I've also received emails from Carnival saying things like "2 weeks of sea trials", which would mean it would only be in dry dock for about 2 weeks and then be set loose to test everything that was installed.

The dock schedule shows it there until the 15th, maybe you can catch a ride down to Long Beach ;).

Oh, your a$$ will be on it. You'll just be part of the "sea trials." LOL. San Diego can handle her again should the need arise. ;)

Just booked her for Xmas 2011 instead of the Disney Wonder, which we just hated this weekend on the 2n cruise to "nowhere." Here's hoping she passes the tests and does well for the next 10 or so months.

K

Those Antonov's are not cheap to Charter. A few years ago an airline had to replace a Rolls Royce Trent Engine in Argentina. The engine was so big the Antonov was the only airplane it would fit in. The Russians (or whoever were operating this thing) wanted a cool $1 Million to fly the engine from Texas to Argentina. The crafty airline then figured out how to break the engine in half, fly it in a chartered 747 to Argentina, then reassemble it in Argentina..thus telling the Russians never mind.

The dock schedule shows it there until the 15th, maybe you can catch a ride down to Long Beach ;).

Good to know. Someone please post if the 15th changes. But that sounds about right -- if she leaves SF on the 15th, gets down to Long Beach around the 16th/17th, then they stock up and prepare for us.

Oh, your a$$ will be on it. You'll just be part of the "sea trials."

Sadly true...

"Just sit right back and you'll hear a tale, a tale of a Carnival trip. That started from the Long Beach port aboard this splendor ship... The mate was a might sailor man, the cruise director brave and sure... 3000 passengers set sail that day for a seven day cruise... a seven day cruise...."

:D

This evening I've enjoyed watching the video feed of the Carnival Splendor work going on, and it definitely is a busy place with lots of craines moving this way and that beside the ship. Too bad the aft area is blocked for viewing, in case they bring in equipment to do cutting for engine replacement.

Sadly true...

"Just sit right back and you'll hear a tale, a tale of a Carnival trip. That started from the Long Beach port aboard this splendor ship... The mate was a might sailor man, the cruise director brave and sure... 3000 passengers set sail that day for a seven day cruise... a seven day cruise...."

:D

I love Bay Area people...we're so clever!:p

I'm not on her until May...figure she should be really good by then...but I have been following all of this since this IS my ship. With that said, does anyone have a link to the news stories and is there a Web Cam of the area she is docked? It was fun to see her at the dock in San Diego, and news coverage of her taking off was fun to see. Then with the pictures posted here....I just want to keep up on the story. It's feeding my excitement with my first ever cruise.

Thanks everyone for a job well done!

Diana

I have 3 days of meetings in SF starting today. I'm on the 19th floor of a building right near AT&T park and guess what is right outside the window :) Well not right outside.

Based on the crane movement, it appears the repairs are on the port side of Splendor which is unfortunatly the side away from the shore. I'm going to wander over there probably on Friday but I don't expect to be able to see much.

Steve

Nice pics. Thanks for posting them

Hill6-Debbie and Mike....new to messaging on here and don't mean to change the topic for everyone else on this thread but I would like to know how to get ahold of you regarding the Destiny. I had posted a reply to the great photos you had on here for that cruise but think it may be buried a bit since you had done that last year.....I am traveling on it this April in the same room.

Thanks Darryl

Archived