Anyone actually participate/purchase from art auctions?

quercus alba

I love the negative comments which contain a great deal of misinformation.

In any case, if you don't understand what is happening, don't adopt a know-it-all attitude.

Simple answer... we have purchased a number of "framed take-offs," some for less than $100. The frames alone are worth twice that!

He's one of my favourite as well. We bought one of his, and got it framed. It was money well spent to me. I don't buy tshirts, location souvenirs, bags, watches..etc , but I do like to buy art.

I agree! I fell in love with Anatole Krasnyansky'sPicasso like embellished limited edition seriographs years ago and have purchased several on board ships. I definately paid less than what it would cost in my local gallery and the framing is beautiful.I was fortunate enough to be able to afford a one of a kind work of his at what I consider an exellent price but to someone else it may seem worthless. Are they investments? Who knows maybe when he passes they will be worth much more than I paid but the joy I get from looking at them is priceless and I wouldn't sell them even if they sky rocketed.

If you don't buy art onboard, no big deal, but why make fun of the people who do?

Fifteen or so years ago, when they started, there were a handful of pieces that we'd consider hanging on our walls - and in fact, we bought three pieces on a couple of cruises. (All purchased for less than our [low] personal bidding limit.) Within a couple of years, the quality went down and the auctions stopped recognizing the low bids. For a few years, we'd browse through the pieces to see if there was anything we liked - to no avail. ..and it's gotten worse.

I've taken to calling the events simply "Framed Decorative Works Auctions"

Sailing on Epic this summer--was just wondering what this is actually like. Any great deals/steals?

No great deals at all. I got caught up in the whole thing and bought a "walk off." First It was up on stage and I did not insist upon looking at it closely. Second, they ASSURED me I would be able to carry it on a plane. Well, I went to pick it up and it was wrapped in Brown paper, not a box. the airline was going to make me check it but they had no boxes either so I had to go up the chain of supervisors at the airport brfore one "did me a favor" by making me pay $50 extra baggage fee and then carry it on if it would fit in the " captain's closet". Once I got it home and unwrapped it I found it was framed alright BUT NO GLASS!! It had saran wrap on the front that from a distance appeared to be glass--geez. definitely a rip off but also an education. Buyer Beware. However, if you see something you really like, and check on the internet first, then perhaps it would be right for you. just don't be like me and do your homework first...

I haven't read the whole thread but I'll throw in my 2 cents.

My son and I love attending the auctions (he's 13). He's learned a lot about different artists. Princess has the best auctions -- where you can buy things very cheaply. I do not buy for investment. But I may see something that is interesting & enjoyable -- I'll bid on it. We've gotten some nice pieces that we enjoy looking at and remind us of our wonderful vacations.

Take everything that is said with a grain of salt. But I find it a lot of fun. And there are far worse ways for teenage boys to spend an afternoon.

Once I got it home and unwrapped it I found it was framed alright BUT NO GLASS!! It had saran wrap on the front that from a distance appeared to be glass--geez. definitely a rip off but also an education. ..

Rip Off? No.

Very simply, if you are considering a "take-off," make sure you examine it first.

... Once I got it home and unwrapped it I found it was framed alright BUT NO GLASS!! It had saran wrap on the front that from a distance appeared to be glass--geez. definitely a rip off
LMAO... just so you know, there wasn't supposed to be any glass. The "saran wrap" was simply there to keep people from touching the piece directly.

LMAO... just so you know, there wasn't supposed to be any glass. The "saran wrap" was simply there to keep people from touching the piece directly.

Actually, some of the pieces do come with plexiglass. That's why it's essential to examine the piece before bidding.

I've personally bought art on Princess and I've been happy with what I've bought vs. what land galleries sell it for. I think some cruisers don't know the difference between Princess Fine Arts and Carnival/Park West Gallery. Park West is the gallery that all the "scam" articles are written about.

I usually go to the Princess auction (1st only) for the free champagne to see if the guy knows anything. If you go with an open mind you might find something. If you are not an art lover or an art buyer, that's fine. Don't expect to be morphed into an art lover.

My last Carnival cruise the guy was fake bidding a piece and selling art as an "investment to put your kids through college!" What a load of BS. Do you think this 25 year old kid was buying this investment? I doubt it!

The art auctions are a bit of a joke.

Saying that, we purchased two items from ships in tha past 10 years.

One was a very long time ago on NCL, purchased a Medvedev seriolithograph for the initial bid price of $85.00 but ONLY because I liked the print and felt it was worth the money. I had it mounted and framed at home - would not pay their exhorbidant fees.

The second time was a "clearance" sale at the end of the cruise - no bidding, no auctioneer's 15% fee on top of the price, and I managed to negotiate a lower price than the marked price. This was for a framed Wyland limited edition lithoseriagraph and again, I felt it was worth the purchase price based on Wyland and the cost of the framing.

Never ever purchase a so-called Dali or Picasso or any "collector's" art on a ship unless you really know art and can determine if it is authentic. Park West galleries has lost several major lawsuits now because of their practices. Princess auctions are better since they are operated by the cruise line.

Only buy what you like and pay only what you feel is a fair price to you and you won't be sorry later. Don't get caught up in the bidding.

Most of the cruise ship art ends up on Ebay. If you watch the "Pawn Stars" show you can see some of the cruise ship art in their shop on the wall.

We no longer bother because the so-called auctioneers know nothing about any of the art - only what they are taught to say as part of their sales pitch. But it can be entertaining.

Archived