Formal Night on Carnival Glory

tassycatt

Ok, we arent fancy people and our jobs do not require us to dress up or even "office" dress. (He is a painter and I work in a UPS hub) I have a regular skirt set, a pair of slacks and he has a dinner jacket which Im not even sure fits, when he does "dress up", its khakis and a nice button down shirt. We jokingly call them our wedding and funeral clothes.

So, I hate to go out and spend the $$$ for clothes that we probably wont be wearing again anytime soon so on formal nights, since we wont be wearing tuxes and gowns what should we plan on doing for dinner? We have the open time dining plan. Thanks for your input!

I know it's not far off from a suit but a button-up shirt, tie, black slacks/dress pants, and shoes and you're set. I bet you can get all of these for ~$50 total if you're pinching pennies. Hope this helps! Glory 3/6/11 here :D

Ok, we arent fancy people and our jobs do not require us to dress up or even "office" dress. (He is a painter and I work in a UPS hub) I have a regular skirt set, a pair of slacks and he has a dinner jacket which Im not even sure fits, when he does "dress up", its khakis and a nice button down shirt. We jokingly call them our wedding and funeral clothes.

So, I hate to go out and spend the $$$ for clothes that we probably wont be wearing again anytime soon so on formal nights, since we wont be wearing tuxes and gowns what should we plan on doing for dinner? We have the open time dining plan. Thanks for your input!

Depends how you wish to fit in with the others.

Most will wear their best to a social event. What you will be wearing will be just that.

Carnival does NOT require fancy clothes for "elegant night" My husband stopped wearing suits and ties when he retired. He wears black jeans and black shoes and a button down shirt for those nights and we don't really care what others are wearing!

Formal clothing is suggested but not mandatory. I think the only thing they really frown on is jeans but I have never seen anyone turned away, despite what they are wearing. It is your cruise, enjoy it.

I agree with the others. You will be totally fine in your "funeral clothes." My husband and I do not like to dress up. He takes slacks, a knit shirt with a collar, and a sport coat. I take some black slacks, a sort of silky, but not really silk, top, and a sandal/slide kind of shoe for those nights. We see people dressed in really formal stuff and people dressed way down. Never seen anyone turned away or asked to leave. With all the luggage restrictions and extra cost I can't believe some people still pack tuxes and evening gowns. They take up so much room. Have a great time.

I wear a Tux, wife dresses formal with me.

Formal is not required but we like it.

I have several Tuxedos, wear one about about a month to charity events, etc. LOVE the looks and comments we get.

A Tux can be purchased for about $100. A NICE womens dress $20 or so. My wife has a bunch of formal wear, she never pays more than $20 for a dress or shoes.. sale racks.

Ignore the "most will wear their best" comment. It doesn't reflect my experience. Most will dress up and many will wear their best, but most will not. I suppose there's really no way to know what anyone's "best" is though, without rummaging through their wardrobe first!

The clothes you described will be just fine, although perhaps nearer the bottom of the "fancy" scale than the top, but not past the point where you will stand out.

From a menswear perspective, on my last Conquest cruise, there wasn't a single passenger wearing a tux at the early seating during the second elegant night. I understand that the room gets a little dressier for the later seating.

There were probably 15-20% of men who were wearing a suit. Another 15-20% wore a jacket and tie (but not actually a suit). Another 25-35% might have been wearing a jacket but no tie, or a shirt-and-tie, but no jacket. That probably leaves about 30-40% of men who were wearing neither a jacket nor a tie.

Depends how you wish to fit in with the others.

Most will wear their best to a social event. What you will be wearing will be just that.

Pete , its a carnival cruise , relax a little ! by the way , your pics of the aft wrap balcony in another thread were sweet . what ship was that ?

thanks

My experience is that you will see just about anything on the dress up nights on a Carnival ship. Some women will be wearing long gowns, others slacks and a casual top. Men wear anything from a shirt and khakis to a tux. Dress however you want to and enjoy the evening! The most important thing...I think....is to be comfortable and have a great time!;)

Those that know how to dress could even attend a Bubba event without reading a brochure.

well i dunno Pete. They dont let me and bubba out of da holler very much ta go to these high falootin' thingamabobbers. Has anyone seen my teef? (dripping with sarcasm)

I wear my tux and my wife dresses up but that's our choice. (so few men wear tux's anymore that I look more like a waiter than a guest) It's you vacation, wear what you feel comfortable in. And no, I wouldn't go out and spen a load of money for clothes to wear one or 2 nights.

You will both be fine.

He doesn't need to worry about the jacket fitting or not

since he will not be alone in not wearing one.;)

Ties are not required, but my wife did talk me into one on our first cruise.:rolleyes:

What you describe will not get you turned away, but it is up to you whether or not you will be comfortable dressing down. I know that the majority of people on our cruise dressed elegantly, and I would have felt completely out of place if I had not dressed the same.

I wore a pair of Kakis and a button down shirt each night the DW wore a dress, we were far from the tux crowd as was everyone at our table. It all depends on you and what you want to wear. I saw tons of people on both sides of the dress code in the MDR on formal night. So dont worry you guys will be fine.

I would say that you will be just fine. The dress thing is so subjective on cruises and nobody really monitors it anyway.

What one person thinks is elegant dress from their part of the country/world would not be considered elegant in another part of the country/world. We live in Hawaii and an aloha shirt, slacks or dress shorts and flip flops will get you into the best hotels and restaurants.

I used to dress up for formal nights but found them to be just "much ado about nothing." It is the same dining room you eat in every night but one night is formal night. There is not a grand ball or anything special happening that night so relax and be yourselves.

I think formal night is most comparable to a high school prom night where everybody gets dressed up so they can get their picture taken. :)

Not sure what "it's a Carnival cruise" means, but the pic is either the Carnival Legend, or the RCCL ExOS.

Thanks!

cut & paste

BUDGET CLASS - usually the price leaders but with problems/issues

Carnival Cruises - is the low price leader in the cruise market. Many people cruise on Carnival for their fist cruise often are enticed by their low lead-in rates. Many of our frequent cruisers, however, request any ship except for Carnival when they make requests. Everyone's first cruise experience is usually great but after taking a few and talking to others that have cruised you will find that all of the cruise lines listed above offer a superior product. Carnival has the lowest prices because their ships pack in more people than any other cruise line. The food, service and entertainment are all average. The ships are neon extravaganzas with some decorations edging toward the bazaar. They have a well earned reputation for being party ships and so people who are attracted by that reputation are usually present. Royal Caribbean and Celebrity all offer a superior product and often charge only slightly more money which to us is a great value and a much better family atmosphere. For most of our clients, we usually try to find our clients space on one of our top recommended lines for these reasons.

all that said , I love carnival cruise lines ...........................

The clothing you've described is fine for a cruise.

A well-tailored (i.e., tailored to the man) dark blue, grey or black suit is probably the most versatile clothing item a man can have - for "weddings and funerals" as it were. It only took me 29 years to convince one son of that (and 26 for the other).

I actually wear a dinner jacket (tuxedo) because my job is to be the monochromatic foil to my bride's splendor.

Personally, have lived through the triumph of "anything goes" (having started in the 1950s), it's nice to dress up.

Archived