Valor 1/16/11 - 1/23/11...Review!

cherylwillow

Roatan, Honduras -- had never heard of it, frankly, when we booked. I did some research and had initially booked Victor Bodden who has great reviews everywhere (one family in our group used them and LOVED it). Our other option was the Carnival-owned Mahogany Bay Beach which I had read was not so hot. I learned the whole beach area is man-made and not much to look at w/ zero feeling of the beautiful island. In the end, budget constraints won out and we decided to go with the free Mahogany Bay Beach.

Only eight of our group were going to Mahogany Bay Beach. We had a bigger breakfast this morning, because we were hoping to not have to buy food on land and although it's certainly easy to get back on the ship (30 minute from beach to cabin to beach -- forgot my daughter's contacts!!~) we didn't want to waste the time.

The view from the ship, as we arrived was breath-taking. Lush green against clear blue water -- awesome. After breakfast we went down to deck 0 for an easy walk-off at 8am. We exited to a nicer-than-normal port area but completely by-passed it and walked to the beach.

You're probably aware of the "magical flying chairs" or whatever they're called. I think it's $10/pp for unlimited access. I don't know -- I couldn't see the value even if I were not on a budget. The walk it operates over is simple and basically flat. The "ride" itself is a simple ski-lift gondola. The views might be nice, but I suspect you can get a similar view from the Lido deck.

The beach was still virtually empty. We were fortunate in that we were the only ship in port that day. TONS of loungers, many deep. Lots of shade available if you're there early enough or don't mind not being right next to the water.

TIP: If you walk all the way down the beach (look for the pier), you will pass the reserved cabana area. Just past the roped-off area are 20 or so more chairs (with a few more rows behind). We set up there and were able to enjoy the whole day there w/o having to contend with the crowds on the other side of the beach. I did hear that the other end was much more of a "party" vibe -- but we weren't looking for that.

Forgive me if I ramble -- this was an amazing day. Really our favorite day. Magical. Our loungers were semi-private, next to the water line, under palm trees. When we walked to the end of the pier we were able to climb down a ladder and snorkel over coral. Even I was able to have a blast there -- must be getting more comfortable w/ snorkeling!!

Just behind our seating area was umbrella-covered tables w/ seats and open sandy area. Just behind that was a seafood-only open-air restaurant. I had decided that I had had enough drinks and wasn't going to have one today....that lasted until my first of two margaritas at 11:00! Even a non-drinker might feel compelled to order a frosty one in that environment. I don't remember the prices, but they were reasonable -- maybe $6??

A 3-piece island band was playing at the restaurant. The VERY talented singer was cord-free and walked around the beach area as he sang. So beautiful. It was hard to believe that he wasn't pre-recorded -- so good.

I would have paid a lot for that "excursion", but happily it cost under $50 for the four of us -- no transportation costs, a few drinks, and two floaty rentals. Back Onboard was a MUCH too early 2:30; we went at about 2. Such a wonderful day!

View from the ship:

trip292-Copy.jpg

DH & DD14 in front of the open-air restaurant:

trip286-Copy.jpg

View of the beach from the end of the pier:

232323232fp73398_nu3259_893_39__WSNRCG359844789432nu0mrj.jpg

View looking straight back from the pier -- our seats were the last 8 on the end:

232323232fp733_8_nu3259_893_39__WSNRCG359845374532nu0mrj.jpg

DD12 on the pier:

232323232fp7334_nu3259_893_39__WSNRCG359844788632nu0mrj.jpg

The ship:

232323232fp733___nu3259_893_39__WSNRCG359844787_32nu0mrj.jpg

That night we went to Karaoke in the Eagles Lounge for a bit and then everyone went to the Deck Party -- always a great family-inclusive time! Following that was the Mexican Buffet -- this is where all the cool carvings were -- neat!

The older kids and me dancing at the deck party:

trip309-Copy.jpg

trip319-Copy.jpg

Last sea day... We woke up planning on spending the whole day relaxing in the sun on Lido. Unfortunately it was not nice. I'm not complaining -- it was our ONLY non-perfect day, and it wasn't too bad. Just not what we were hoping. We got to Lido at about 9am and after pretending it wasn't cold for awhile, we headed back to the cabin for sweatshirts. We were bound and determined to soak up whatever sun peeked out from the clouds so we did, indeed, stay out on Lido most of the day. The wind was quite bad -- saw a towel take flight and many chairs slammed across the deck all day and our skin was covered with salt from the ocean spray.

Mid-day we caught the ice-carving presentation -- always impressive. In the afternoon we noticed that the wind had died down and had gotten rather pleasant. Before long we realized that calmness was due to the fact that we had stopped! People had gathered at the railings to watch the boat that was in need of rescue. Goose, the CD, got on the horn and told us we were waiting for Coast Guard approval to take them on board. It was exciting to watch and eventually 3 men and a cat (bad sitcom, anyone??) boarded safely and their boat was cut loose.

We also caught the Galley tour. I had read that it was really cool; just okay in my opinion, but a good choice for a cold day. I've read that some tours have staff in-action and maybe that's the difference. This was a simple Q&A followed by a walk through the empty galley.

That night we met at the Fun Farewell Celebration in the Eagles Lounge-- don't miss if you enjoy a cocktail -- they're free for the hour (do I sound cheap yet??? I'm not, really -- just frugal!!). Then we spent the rest of the evening watching the comedy shows as they had told us on Thursday that it would all be new material (wasn't by the way; just slightly amended).

Gallye Tour

trip350-Copy.jpg

Boat at sea:

trip338.jpg

Cold on Lido:

trip325-Copy.jpg

Ice sculpture:

trip330-Copy.jpg

We had all intentions of packing and tagging our bags the night before...darn free drink party...

We weren't entirely sure we did as we were supposed to do, but we woke up and got to work packing up. I ran down for fruit, danish, and coffee and we all ate as we worked. Loaded up our stuff and left for 0 when they called our self-disembark floor. A few people gave us a dirty look (I think because of our 1 big bag) but whatcha gonna do...

It was okay. Again with that crabby-people-line-pushing thing. In my opinion, it was pretty easy and quick.

We exited, went through customs easily and hailed our Alamo shuttle. Maybe 30 minutes total. We had decided to spend a day in Miami and fly out the next day. Enjoyed Gator Park, and a stroll around South Beach.

That's all folks!! Feel free to ask any questions!

South Beach

trip439-Copy.jpg

Gator Park

trip377-Copy.jpg

Scary Gator

trip383-Copy.jpg

DD 14th Birthday and a SPECIAL surprise at dinner.

Absolutely BEAUTIFUL weather. It doesn't take much to please a WI girl in January. You could pretty much put me anywhere and play anything and do whatever -- if it's sunny and 80 -- I'm in.

Oohh -- sidenote (sorry). Our room was 1412. Lowest you can go. Loved it. I am NOT a balcony person -- we are truly never in our room. Love the extra space of the OV, though.

trip018.jpg

Fortunately, the ship was great though! I woke up early and went to the internet room. Little tip you might not know -- if you set up an account on Carnival Funville and provide your friends/family at home w/ the info, you can write to them for free on the ship. I just gave my sister the info and then had her send an email to a bunch of people by cut/paste. Nice way to stay in touch and it eased my worries about home and my four legged family.

We spent the day chilling by lido. I drank WAY to many DODs, and supplemented with my Bon Voyage booze. I'm not much of a drinker at home b/c of my job, but when I'm on vacation....

Saw the Hairy Chest Contest, napped a bit on Lido, swam, laughed... If i could bottle that day...ahhhh...

trip013.jpg

trip005.jpg

Got dressed and went to the Elegant night in MDR. Our friend asked his girlfriend to marry him!! She said yes!! Great joyous start to our evening (and I was GLAD to be out of possesion of that rock!!).

We changed, went to the Family Friendly Comedy Show (Smiley Joe Wiley -- FUNNY!!!) and then caught the later 18+ show. LOVE this comedy thing!

Then we headed off to the club...again!

trip024-1.jpg

trip032.jpg

Tomorrow...Grand Cayman!!

Help me please-what is your Bon Voyage booze--I have seen this phrase before--I plan on bringing soda and wine in our carry on--booze too?

We are also from Wisconsin-La Crosse-leaving out of the Cities for Valor 3/6

Help me please-what is your Bon Voyage booze--I have seen this phrase before--I plan on bringing soda and wine in our carry on--booze too?

We are also from Wisconsin-La Crosse-leaving out of the Cities for Valor 3/6

Have fun! As I'm sure you know, many people take on alcohol against Carnival's policy -- just not my thing. However, it ALSO not really my thing to pay $10/pop for DH's rum & cokes! Bon Voyage is a great way to save some cash and still follow the "rules". (no offense, beloved rum runner friends!!!)

The booze (1 ltr. bottles) seem to be about the twice the price I'd pay at home and with the carry-on soda, it works... Booze will be in your room upon arrival out of most ports.

Copy/pasted price list (year old, so might not be wholly accurate):

Bon Voyage – 800-522-7648

Price List as of 2/22/10

__________________________________________________ __

Rums:

Capt Morgan Spiced, Gosling, Appleton VX, Bacardi $40.

Malibu $55

Vodkas:

Absolute Citron, Stoli , Skye and Finlandia $40

Grey Goose, and 3 olives $60

Canadian Whiskeys:

Canadian Club and Segrams 7 $38

Crown Royal and Jamison $55

Scotch:

Dewars $60

Chivas Regal $60

Johnny Walker/Black $70

Bourbon:

Jack Daniels $65

Maker’s Mark $60

Jim Beam $38

Tequila:

1800 - $55

Margaritaville $40

Salsa Hornitas (Sp?) $60

Patron Silver $70

After Dinner:

Raspberry Liquor $40

Frangelico $45

Jagermeister $60

Chambord $60

Limoncello $60

Amaretto:

Disaronna $45

Beer:

Bud/Bud Light 16 ounce $5.75

Miller/Coors Reg/Lite 12 ounce bottle $4.95

Corona – 330ML - $4.95

Fosters – Large 750ML $6.75

Thanks for the information-For $40.00 in Wisconsin a couple could drink all night and maybe have wings too--

The Appleton is great too-got hooked on that in Jamaica-

Any thing else you would like to pass along will be appreciated-only 2nd trip on Carnival-used to Royal!

Your review was great-to the point not flowery!

Thank you

There are 15 in our group from 60 to 12 there are days we will split up and some we will be together-My husband and I are doing any time dinning as we do not appreciate the MDR either---I do not go on vacation to dress up in stuffy clothes-

thanks so much for your review, we are on this exact same itinerary on Feb 20!!! How excited we are becoming, and your review has made it even more so..I certainly hop[e all is settled in Belize so we can stop there, hope you are still enjoying the pics/memories you had while back in snow land, sigh, we are from Ontario so really lookign forward to some sun

Great Review! We were on the Valor (same itenerary) last Jan. and are going back on the same itenerary this May where our friends are getting married in Cozumel. We went with Nativeways to the stingray snorkel on the same boat you went on because I recognized Juan Carlos (photographer) in your pictures! Wasn't that an awesome day? Still keep in contact with Juan and he's coming to visit some day! Your review brought back a lot of happy memories and I enjoyed every moment!

Hi Cheryl,

My name is Paul and I was one of the guys picked up by the Valor on 1/22. Interestingly enough, we saw a cruise ship the day before and I comented to one of my shipmates that I had never been on a cruise ship and would like to take my wife on a cruise some day. Be careful what you wish for. Anyway, that's a nice picture of the rescue you posted and I was wondering if you had any more pictures that you could share with me. If you do I would be ever so grateful if you could email them to me. My email is paulrod@comcast.net.

Anyway, it looks like you and your lovely family had a great time.

Cheers,

Paul

Paul,

So glad to hear from you. What an ordeal you experienced. So glad you and your mates made it safely. I can imagine the relief you felt. I do have other pics and a video my husband caught -- quite good as he was filming from our Deck 1 OV room that was right above where you got on. I'll forward on all that I have and also post on my roll call thread for anyone else to share any pics they may have.

Glad you're safe!

Great review! Thank you!

Being from Greendale, WI - your review brings back memories from our Valor cruise just a couple weeks before yours adds warmth to our approaching snow storm. 20 inches!:eek:

Oompaland, you're right next to me! I'm in Oak Creek -- was just at Southridge yesterday. Yes, this upcoming storm is NOT looking good!! I should be on a ship and let my housesitters deal with this mess!!

Oompaland, you're right next to me! I'm in Oak Creek -- was just at Southridge yesterday. Yes, this upcoming storm is NOT looking good!! I should be on a ship and let my housesitters deal with this mess!!

And I was just at Woodman's in OC yesterday!

I am hoping for a couple snow days...

Paul,

So glad to hear from you. What an ordeal you experienced. So glad you and your mates made it safely. I can imagine the relief you felt. I do have other pics and a video my husband caught -- quite good as he was filming from our Deck 1 OV room that was right above where you got on. I'll forward on all that I have and also post on my roll call thread for anyone else to share any pics they may have.

Glad you're safe!

It was very nice to come aboard indeed. I do appreciate it! Thanks again

Archived