Valor 1/16/11 - 1/23/11...Review!

cherylwillow

We were rooting for Paul from Wisconsin during the 60 Seconds or Less game!! He did a great job, glad he won!! It is fun reading a review for the same cruise we were on. I haven't even downloaded my pictures yet and my Fun Times are all bent up and torn apart. I had plans of taking pictures of everything including all our food and menus and scanning the Fun Times, but lost track of all that in the fun we were having!

We were rooting for Paul from Wisconsin during the 60 Seconds or Less game!! He did a great job, glad he won!! It is fun reading a review for the same cruise we were on. I haven't even downloaded my pictures yet and my Fun Times are all bent up and torn apart. I had plans of taking pictures of everything including all our food and menus and scanning the Fun Times, but lost track of all that in the fun we were having!

Hahaha!!! He DID have a big support group! Glad you were part of it! I hear you on the busy thing... I'm having a hard time remembering what happened when. Just a big blur of fun! No problem for me on the pictures thing...still super sick. Good thing I'm not on the ship!

We were on this sailing with you and I have to agree with many of the things you have said.

The Lido deck bands WERE too loud.

I am a smoker and I WAS put off by the limited smoking areas. The whole week I wondered how people could be complaining about how smoky the Valor is.

Willie Nelson 2 days in a row at 8am on the lido big screen ... ummm what?

We didn't notice any funny smells.

I am curious. This was my first cruise and I found the last day quite rough. How does that day compare to a REAL rough day at sea?

Not even close to rough days I've been on...and I don't think I've seen too bad. It gets MUCH worse.

Not the answer I wanted to hear but thanks for replying :) I suppose it could have had something to do with our location. 9203, forward 4J cabin, lido deck. Lesson learned. Next time we will go lower and more toward the center.

Oh, sweet Cozumel... Not that I've seen much of the island -- I haven't. I've seen: Port area. Cab Stand. Nachi Cocom. One day I'll see more...

Arrival to Cozumel was 10am, much more palatable than 7am! Adding to the relaxing morning was the fabulous walk-off rather than the tender. We, again, had breakfast and got ready separately and met in front of one of our rooms to walk to deck 0 together.

Today we decided to join the crush because Nachi opened at 10/Eastern and we didn't want to miss a minute if we could help it! So we stood in the group near 0. Got pushed. Yelled at a little. Helped a woman in a wheelchair navigate through people sighing at her trying to get through. Accused of skipping because we had the nerve to come from one hallway vs. a different one (as though we performed a pre-plan assessment plan of attack). Super weird how a ship full of good-natured and friendly people somehow take on a different tone during these times. Sort of a bummer. In hindsight I would have preferred missing a few minutes of Nachi rather than having to shake the "ick" feeling off. Avoid if you can.

After waiting about 15 minutes or so we exited the ship to beautiful Cozumel. The port area here is typical. Comfortable and safe-feeling. You'll find your standard Fat Tuesdays, Diamond Internationals, and 5-Ts-for-20-bucks stores. Sidenote -- maybe don't bring the kids into Fat Tuesdays or at least hit it before the patrons get too hammered. I was grateful, after seeing pics from another passenger, that we had skipped this pop-in. I'll keep this PG....but the ladies on the pole...not cool.

Cozumel has a great taxi stand. Prices to most, if not all, local destinations are clearly posted on a sign and organized taxis are waiting to whisk you away. We got two vans at $35 + tip for the 15 minute trip to Nachi Cocom.

More in a minute...this pic is actually on our way BACK to the ship...

trip218.jpg

If you're not familiar, Nachi Cocom is a private day resort. For about $50/adult, and much less for children depending on age, you gain access to an all-inclusive private beach. To clarify, the food isn't literally all-inclusive, but I have yet to meet anyone who has eaten each course (app, main, dessert) that is included and available a la carte at your leisure.

The food is delicious, although those who prefer less ethnic food may be less impressed. Maybe stick with the cheese quesadillas, fruit, or even plain nachos. Note -- the hamburger is not what you would expect from an American restaurant. Not sure it's beef. It's described as "meat" -- I have no doubt it's quality food, just not what we would expect. DD14 couldn't swing it. Try the ceviche -- amazing. Drinks are completely included and everything we ordered was readily available. A nice tip to our hard-working server was well deserved.

Nachi allows only 100 people max on any given day. The last time we were here there were about 15 people total, this time 97. Felt the same. Quiet and amazing. There is no music or inflatable mountains to climb. Just super awesome relaxation. You are assigned loungers and a server.

The standard rentals/services are available. We rented floaty mats for $7/ea, those without snorkels rented them along with flippers for $17/ea. Our newly-engaged couple parasailed tandem for $120. Beach-side massages, jet-ski rentals, reef snorkel trips, etc. are all easily purchased.

There is a large pool, covered restaurant, and adults-only hot tub. I don't think anyone in our party used any of it! Too awesome on the beach! There is also a small shop to purchase odds and ends. A few of the guys enjoyed a cigar and said they were good (although I'm not sure any of them could be considered knowledgeable!!).

We had a great day and headed back to port, with about 40 minutes spare to shop a bit.

Back on the ship, I'm sure we had dinner at Rosie's or the grill or something. We never went back to the MDR after the second night. It was great; had anytime dining and had no problem getting a table for 8 both nights...but moving forward we were just too busy having fun to be troubled with getting ready and sitting for an hour or more. Go figure.

That night everyone went to the magic show, "More than Magic" with Rand Woodbury. It was very good -- he's a great entertainer. You'll have to see for yourself, and I'll be careful to not share too much info, but we felt one small part of his show where he's a bit over-the-top on emotion doesn't read genuine and sort of dampened what was otherwise a really funny and entertaining show. Don't miss this one, even with my whining. It really was good.

No comedy show tonight. Wednesday must be the comedians' travel day. Thursday would bring two different acts for the remainder of the cruise. Early night this night -- loooooooong day....

Parasailing

trip180.jpg

Pool

232323232fp7339_nu3259_893_39__WSNRCG359844_4_32nu0mrj.jpg

Fun on the beach

trip208.jpg

Lovely...

232323232fp733_9_nu3259_893_39__WSNRCG359844_6432nu0mrj.jpg

DH loving those all-inclusive opportunities

trip211.jpg

Welcome to Nachi Cocom!!! (pictures taken upon arrival and that brought to your seats...available for $20)

nachi.jpg

Great review. We were on the Valor the week before you, had a great time and spent a lot of time at the wine bar with the Martini's you had on the first page.

Interesting...we found we spent a lot of time there as well. While not the most interesting place, to be sure, it was a such an easy place to meet up. Right near all the good stuff and easy to grab friends as they walked by.

A good friend of mine was on your sailing. We actually didn't even know the other was booked until we were at Easter Dinner last year. She asked me for some cruising tips...we got to talking...realized we had booked so close! Weird, really, considering all the lines, itineraries, dates, etc. We got to wave to each other in Miami.

This was somewhat of a modified sea day for us. We went to breakfast in the MDR, relaxed on the Lido, and waited until the tendering was "open". Beginning at 8am, guests wishing to depart present to the Ivanhoe Theater. Each person is assigned a stickered number to wear on their shirt. When your number's called...off you go. Around 10:30 or so they made an announcement that you could now just go to deck 0 and board a tender boat.

I had done a lot of research trying to decide what to do in Belize. In the end, we decided to just stay in the port area. This area was fine. Nothing notable, and really didn't give a feel of the land. We bought a few things from local vendors. Two of our group went cave tubing and four went zip lining -- all had a blast.

The tender in Belize is long but the boats are big and fast. It felt like about 15-20 minutes. The port area is set up with terminals, four I think, that have many vendors in each. When you go through the terminals you come to a gate with guards. On the other side of this gate are people trying to earn a living. I was very torn...I wanted to see the area, but the people at the gate seemed so aggressive that I just wasn't comfortable leaving the secured area with 12 & 14 y/o girls. If it had been just my husband and me, I would have taken a tour.

Back on the ship we had dinner somewhere and met up with our friends to see the 7:30 family friendly comedy show -- new comedian -- Allyn Ball. He is so funny. I might have a small crush.

The show ended about 8:00 and we all ran over to Ivanhoe Theater to catch "Far From Over" -- 80's themed and one of two vegas-style shows. I'm not particularly in to production shows (touch of the ADD) but it was very good. Afterward, we said goodbye to the children and boogied BACK to Eagles Lounge to catch the adults-only show of Allyn Ball. Hilarious again!! We stayed for Percy Crews' adults-only 11pm show as well -- super funny guy.

Allyn Ball & me:

trip373.jpg

Oh, sweet Cozumel... Not that I've seen much of the island -- I haven't. I've seen: Port area. Cab Stand. Nachi Cocom. One day I'll see more...

Arrival to Cozumel was 10am, much more palatable than 7am! Adding to the relaxing morning was the fabulous walk-off rather than the tender. We, again, had breakfast and got ready separately and met in front of one of our rooms to walk to deck 0 together.

Today we decided to join the crush because Nachi opened at 10/Eastern and we didn't want to miss a minute if we could help it! So we stood in the group near 0. Got pushed. Yelled at a little. Helped a woman in a wheelchair navigate through people sighing at her trying to get through. Accused of skipping because we had the nerve to come from one hallway vs. a different one (as though we performed a pre-plan assessment plan of attack). Super weird how a ship full of good-natured and friendly people somehow take on a different tone during these times. Sort of a bummer. In hindsight I would have preferred missing a few minutes of Nachi rather than having to shake the "ick" feeling off. Avoid if you can.

After waiting about 15 minutes or so we exited the ship to beautiful Cozumel. The port area here is typical. Comfortable and safe-feeling. You'll find your standard Fat Tuesdays, Diamond Internationals, and 5-Ts-for-20-bucks stores. Sidenote -- maybe don't bring the kids into Fat Tuesdays or at least hit it before the patrons get too hammered. I was grateful, after seeing pics from another passenger, that we had skipped this pop-in. I'll keep this PG....but the ladies on the pole...not cool.

Cozumel has a great taxi stand. Prices to most, if not all, local destinations are clearly posted on a sign and organized taxis are waiting to whisk you away. We got two vans at $35 + tip for the 15 minute trip to Nachi Cocom.

More in a minute...this pic is actually on our way BACK to the ship...

trip218.jpg

Loving the review, we go March 13th.

Do you know if the Alamo shuttle also picks up passengers after the cruise? Getting conflicting answers.

You said Cozumel on Wednesday Jan 19? I thought Cozumel was on the Friday? We're booked at Nachi Cocem on the Friday. Did they switch days on you? Dont want that to mess up our day at Nachi.

The taxi---$35 each way for the van? How many will it seat?--we are 4 adults, 4 kids.

Thanks,

Tony

Loving the review, we go March 13th.

Do you know if the Alamo shuttle also picks up passengers after the cruise? Getting conflicting answers.

You said Cozumel on Wednesday Jan 19? I thought Cozumel was on the Friday? We're booked at Nachi Cocem on the Friday. Did they switch days on you? Dont want that to mess up our day at Nachi.

The taxi---$35 each way for the van? How many will it seat?--we are 4 adults, 4 kids.

Thanks,

Tony

Hi Tony! Thanks for the feedback! I'm so glad that it's okay reading -- I loved reading reviews before my trip. In response:

1. Alamo

1. We had another rental scheduled for Sunday because we were flying out Monday, so we used that reservation to obtain the shuttle on the post-trip.
    2. I can tell you that when we used Alamo out of Tampa last year the pre-trip rental DID include a shuttle back to the airport following the cruise. The guy gave us instructions when we were dropped off. So my guess is just hang on to your rental agreement and show the driver when you board post-trip.
    3. That being said, I would recommend emailing Alamo from their website with the specific question (they're quite responsive). Print out the response, if positive, and carry with you. I did this because I was getting conflicting info from phone reps about shuttle service being available at all.
    4. Btw, the post-trip shuttle grab is weird. You stand in the island between two roads and "hail" the Alamo shuttle as soon as you see it (there's 3 lanes of traffic on that side and it's busy, so use one aggressive person and have the rest of the fam stand back). With 8, you might have to split up because they only allow as many people as they have seatbelts.

[*]Cozumel Port Day

1. I just checked your sailing -- looks like you're Roatan Wed, Cozumel Friday. This was our initial itinerary as well. They changed it a few weeks before sailing. Small note -- worth checking here and there prior to sailing. Many people on my CC roll call were not contacted and a few were not able to change excursions.

[*]Cozumel Cab

1. We had one van w/ 8 and one w/ 9. Both were $35 plus tip. That is for each way. So $70 plus tip round trip. Just tell the guys standing there what you need and they'll grab you a suitable vehicle.

Have fun!!!!

Archived