Staying onboard

mrsd2fan

Our cruise is in less than 2 weeks, do you think it's too late to book Cosol's tour?

go on his website and see if he will accept you. I would think so because I remember he told me to feel free to mention it to others on board. It really was a very fun day. good luck to you.

Patti

If St. Lucia was such an ugly and dangerous place the producers of the ABC TV show "The Bachelor" ( the one with Jake and Vienna) would never have set the show's finale there.

Another vote for going on the COSOL tour run by Mr. Neroiux Francis. DW particularly enjoyed the motor launch ride which goes around Gran Piton and leaves you at the Jalousie Beach Resort where you enjoy 60 - 90 minutes on beach. A little adventurous too.

All the refreshments you want for the day. Particulary if you like Piton beer and an affection for strong rum punch (soft drinks also provided including Coca-Cola with real sugar)

Just Google COSOL Tours. He and his guides will show you the highlights of the island and you will learn a lot. You're perfectly safe with them.

DW and I are not fans of just wandering off on our own on some of the lesser developed Southern Caribbean islands. Their lesser devopment gives them their charms, but also makes you stand out as a visitor when you are there.

The only bad news I can fathom that you heard was that the island was affected by one of the hurricanes in the fall. There were mudslides and several people unfortunately were killed, homes destroyed, roads washed out and the water supply disrupted. I would imagine that this is being slowly rebuilt.

Also kudos for the Serenade of the Seas. On their next calls into St. Lucia they off-loaded potable water to local tanker trucks for use by the civilian population.

IMHO you pay to fly to San Juan, pay to stay overnight in a hotel, pay to get on the ship and then you're not getting off on an island because of ... ?????

Now DW has expressed remorse about some Mexican resorts because of actual shootings and Haiti because she feels uncomfortable sitting on a beach when there is so much deprivation in the country at the moment. And I can appreciate that.

But I always feel when you go with a local guide of good reputation, the island people know that they are getting direct monetary benefit from the tours and are less likely to give trouble to their fellow islanders.

Just like you would do in most places in the world, just don't go around flashing the bling and the $500 cameras and other things which would make you a spur of the moment monetary target. Low key always works better.

Just MHO.

Enjoy your cruise, maximize your memories.

St. Lucia is a beautiful island. You are really missing out by staying on the boat. Castries itself is a hectic noisy place, like all big cities are, but once you get out into the countryside you will think you're in heaven. Lush green mountains, waterfalls, flowers everywhere, beautiful beaches, and of course the Pitons.

Archived