To check or not to check?

icats75

Between my husband and I we are bringing a case of bottled water. Some of the bottles will be filled with alcohol. They will all have sealed caps. What is the best way to get this on board? Should I pack it in my carry on luggage or with my checked luggage?

Between my husband and I we are bringing a case of bottled water. Some of the bottles will be filled with alcohol. They will all have sealed caps. What is the best way to get this on board? Should I pack it in my carry on luggage or with my checked luggage?

I don't know the answer to your question because I drink tap water on the ship and there's nothing wrong with it. Are you flying? If so be careful of the weight limit.

Just and FYI, they know how to tell the difference between water and alcohol. I saw them busting someone who had it in a water bottle. I don't know what the trick is, but they shook the bottle and knew it wasn't water. This had been put into checked luggage.

Just and FYI, they know how to tell the difference between water and alcohol. I saw them busting someone who had it in a water bottle. I don't know what the trick is, but they shook the bottle and knew it wasn't water. This had been put into checked luggage.

True - alcohol reacts differently than water when shaken. They have caught on to all of the tricks.

Question about the water on the ship. When the ship goes into the ports doesn't it refill their tanks with the water from that port? Just wondering if this is filtered water that they use. You hear in some places don't drink the water. I would imagine there is a filtration of some sort but it is always a concern.

Question about the water on the ship. When the ship goes into the ports doesn't it refill their tanks with the water from that port? Just wondering if this is filtered water that they use. You hear in some places don't drink the water. I would imagine there is a filtration of some sort but it is always a concern.

Most cruise ships do a combination of making their own water on the ship (converting sea water into drinking water through a method such as reverse osmosis) as well as taking on potable water at some ports. All the tap water is safe for consumption and the food on the ship as well as beverages such as coffee is made from the tap water. I am not sure if they filter the water brought on at ports, or if they only take on water that is already deemed safe for consumption.

Ships generally make their own potable water. They will either do it was an evaporator system (pretty much the same as distilling water) or via a reverse osmosis system. Since evaporators are much faster, that is the more common system. In either case, you will have water that is very, very, very pure -- something that cannot really be said of most bottled water!

You can shake bottles of water and alcohol and they will not appear the same. I should think that they would be suspicious of water coming on board since they provide such pure water, so they might look at it more carefully. At the same time, a lot of first timers think they need to bring water aboard, so you won't be the only ones trying.

The other question is where your embarkation point is. If it is out of the country, you will be smuggling alcohol into a foreign country. If it is the U.S., you will have to check it through checked baggage to get it on a plane. If you are driving to the port, ignore this paragraph!

Ships generally make their own potable water. They will either do it was an evaporator system (pretty much the same as distilling water) or via a reverse osmosis system. Since evaporators are much faster, that is the more common system. In either case, you will have water that is very, very, very pure -- something that cannot really be said of most bottled water!

Most large cruise ships do a combination of what you described as well as take in water at ports. They generally do not make all the water that is consumed, but do make a portion.

Edit: For example, here is Celebrity's FAQ about drinking water:

"Is the water onboard the ship safe to drink?

Subject: Environmental

Yes, All potable water is either distilled from seawater or loaded onboard while the ship is in port. The company adheres to Vessel Sanitation System standards published by the US Public Health Service (USPHS). USPHS conducts inspections of the ship both during construction and during the year to ensure compliance.

Part of the USPHS standards discussed potable water disinfectant devices and equipment. Potable water distribution systems are treated by means of an approved chlorination or bromination system. Records of the ship's automatic chlorine or bromine analyzer are maintained and water samples are tested on a regular basis."

You are taking the chance of them confiscating your whole case of water.

I would take one or two bottles and put them in my checked luggage and hope it makes it through.

I am not sure about other cruiselines but with Carnival the water must be carried on now

True - alcohol reacts differently than water when shaken. They have caught on to all of the tricks.

The more alcohol in a liquid, the less bubbles it produces when shaken. Thank you, Discovery Channel.

Depending upon which cruise line you are with, you may or may not "fool" them.

On Carnival, ALL beverages must be hand-carried onboard. NO bottles of any kind are to be in checked luggage other than the normal toiletries. They have new airport-type scanners and each piece of luggage is runthrough them. The image is in color and different liquids have different chemicals that are shown in the image. Booze colors different than water. If they are suspicious, they will open your bag, remove and check out the item and, if it's booze in it's original container, unopened, they will tag it and return to you at the end of the cruise. If your suitcase is locked, luggage will be set aside and you will be notified to come to the "naughty room". If the booze is in another container, it will be confiscated and destroyed without compensation. Hand carried bottles are carefully scruitinzed..

Archived