Talkeetna -- Jet Boat Adventure vs. Three Rivers Tour

charlielinda

I am wondering if anyone can tell me the "real" difference between these tours. We are going to take one our first afternoon in Talkeetna when we depart the train. I've gone over the descriptions and: Jet Boat - 4 hours - says 20 miles; Three Rivers tour - 3 hours - says 50 miles -- longer time less miles? Can anyone help with this?

Also, would it be better to take the first tour at 12:00 which is when we get off the train or better to take the 3:30 which would mean we'd have some time to wander in Takleetna and have lunch first.

The next day we are taking the float trip into Talkeetna from the Lodge. Thanks in advance for your assistance.:)

Last August, we took the Alaska RR package tour to Talkeetna (had a 2 for 1 coupon in the Norhtern Lights book) and did the jet boat excursion.

http://www.alaskarailroad.com/BestDayTours/WildernessJetboatAdventure/tabid/116/Default.aspx

They picked us up at the RR station and then on to the jet boat and fun trip to a camp where we saw a trapper's cabin and did a nature walk with a guide. The biggest surprise was the number of black bears we saw either in the water or along the shore.

The trip wasn't four hours, though. Maybe they are including travel time from the Princess lodge?

This was the vendor:

http://www.mahaysriverboat.com/

Archived