Private Hummer in Juneau

Poohx2

Hi,

My parents are thinking of doing the private hummer excursion in Juneau. Has anyone done this? Can this take you closer to the Mendenhall Glacier then the visitor center? Thanks for any info!

This is essentially Juneau's most expensive taxi cab. All the activities are doable on your own or on other excursions, or via rental car or a taxi ride. And no, you can't get any closer to Mendenhall with the Hummer than you can with any other tour or the bus.

Hi,

My parents are thinking of doing the private hummer excursion in Juneau. Has anyone done this? Can this take you closer to the Mendenhall Glacier then the visitor center? Thanks for any info!

Sorry, the mental picture is amusing me, a Hummer tearing up the mountain side, scattering hikers right and left.

Yeah, what wolfie said.

I ran into the jeep 'tour' in Skagway a couple of times and thought that looked like quite the racket too. They get you to pay them to drive yourself around!

Ziplining and hummers are not what Alaska is about IMHO. They sound neat and catchy but not what I'd choose, whats next Dolphin experience, sorry couldn't resist :D

Juneau I'd say whale watching, hike at Mendenhall, Mt Roberts Tram and hike, Kayak the lake, any of many wildlife viewing excursion would be more valuable an experience than a hummer to the Glacier.

The best experience at Mendenhall is really the 30-90' hike on a good day. No hummer is going to take you closer!

Hi,

Thank you for the information. I will pass it along to my parents. I agree with all that was said. My husband, I and our kids want to go dog sledding on a glacier. We could do a hummer at home.

Dog sledding pricey and a very Alaskan tourist trap, but priceless! After all its summer and where can you do a real dog sledding unless you are from somewhere that there is a lot of snow.

Now after saying that I have to say worth every penny to do once. Even my wife who thought it was crazy price admits it was an experience and not money wasted.

But if you do plan this, be warned as the many threads here have noted, highly canceled so have backup plans.

Thank you for the information. I will pass it along to my parents. I agree with all that was said. My husband, I and our kids want to go dog sledding on a glacier. We could do a hummer at home.

I ran into the jeep 'tour' in Skagway a couple of times and thought that looked like quite the racket too. They get you to pay them to drive yourself around!

THe Hummers are Juneau's most expensive taxi cab, and the Jeeps are Skagway's most expensive car rental (without the freedom -or comfort - of a car rental).

The Hummer is a big sales pitch. I agree about it being an overpriced taxi.

One thing to think about if your folks are older than I am is difficulty in getting into and out of the beast.

Good point. The cab companies do a touring rate, and it's possible to get minivans or SUV's that are handicapped accessible. It's not just frumpy old sedans. They'll take you a set tour or just anywhere you want to go, including as close as you can get in a vessel to the glacier.

Archived