Jeep Tours starting early?

goldesq

I would like to take a Jeep Tour but since my ship, Coral Princess, gets in at 7 AM, I am having a hard time finding one fitting the ship's schedule (we leave at 1230). The half-day tours I have read about start at 9 and end at 1230. I have emailed ABC directly but was told I would need to do a private tour (which is very expensive). So far, its just me and dad.

I emailed other companies but so far, no answer. I would have thought that the tour companies would be more flexible with ships in port. On the day we are in port, there is only our ship.

Any suggestions? Has anyone found Jeep/companies waiting at the pier to take you out?

We booked a 1/2 day Jeep tour that leaves at 8:00 Am and gets back at 11:30. I booked it through ShoreTrips.com, but the actual tour operator is ABC.

I tried to reply earlier to your post, but I don't think it went through. If it did, sorry for the duplicate. We booked a 1/2 day Jeep tour that leaves at 8:00 and lasts 3 1/2 hours. Booked through Shoretrips.com, but I think the actual tour operator is ABC.

Thank you for responding. I wonder why they wouldnt tell me that other than to try and get me to book a private tour. Makes me feel a bit uneasy.

How did you like the tour? Did you get back at exactly 1130? Was it a drop off at the pier at 1130? I dont want to risk not getting back on time.

We have not gone yet, our cruise is not until the end of March. Our ship is in Aruba from 7:00 - 5:00, but if your ship is only there until 12:30 you might be pushing it. Maybe ShoreTrips.com books up all the early trips from ABC, or maybe they were trying to get you to pay the higher private rate?

If you can remember, please try and post your review of this tour when you get back. I have my hesitations now about ABC Tours based on my previous post. I did email shoretrips about this Tour so I will see what they say.

• 2 months later...
If you can remember, please try and post your review of this tour when you get back. I have my hesitations now about ABC Tours based on my previous post. I did email shoretrips about this Tour so I will see what they say.

Per your request, here is my review.We just got back from our cruise last night. We did the ABC jeep tour and really enjoyed it. They met us right at the cruise terminal and took us back to their office to sign a waiver and wait for some other people who were not on a cruise. In all we had 3 jeeps in our group, the guide drove one and 2 people from the group drove the others. Where they take you is very rough and you will get dusty and you do get tossed around a bit, but it was fun. It was too windy for us to swim/snorkel at the natural pool on this tour, so we did an extra stop along the way. We stopped at the Natural Pool, The Natural Bridge, The Donkey Sanctuary, the 2nd highest point in Aruba over looking the ocean and the dessert, and at an old gold smetling plant that looks like an old fort (great for pictures).ABC was very professional, I would recommend them.

I am going to ask what might sound like a stupid question. Why do you need to be on a tour? The reason I ask is that it is easy to rent a 4 wheel drive vehicle (many are actually not real jeeps) at the port and you just get in and drive. The rental companies will give you map (and you can also download maps) and that is it! There is no mystery about where these tours go and rather then be one jeep in a caravan of jeeps (eating their dust) you can simply drive to the same locations on your own at your own pace. We have spent a few vacations on Aruba (love the island) and just have a problem understanding why folks pay all that extra money to have a guide.

Hank

I definitely would not attempt to drive to the Natural Pool without a guide.

Really? We have driven there several times and like most, who vacation on the island, would never consider paying for a guide. The island is not that large, there are some signs, and its pretty easy to use a map. If one doesnt want to read a map just follow a tour :) since there are plenty of jeep caravans from cruise ships. On the other hand we do know a neighbor who would not drive to the market without a guide (her husband) so I guess wanting a guide on Aruba makes more sense.

Hank

Really? We have driven there several times and like most, who vacation on the island, would never consider paying for a guide. The island is not that large, there are some signs, and its pretty easy to use a map. If one doesnt want to read a map just follow a tour :) since there are plenty of jeep caravans from cruise ships. On the other hand we do know a neighbor who would not drive to the market without a guide (her husband) so I guess wanting a guide on Aruba makes more sense.

Hank

I also stay on the island. This year, we will have spent 48 nights there in all. I have talked with many people who like to take the jeep tours. Also, many people on this board and on Aruba forums have expressed that they were glad they had a guide to the Natural Pool because they found the ride to be a little "hair raising." Many people also love island tours with a tour guide such as Bully (local taxi driver) because he has so much wonderful insight and tells all about the island as he shows them places most people never see. By the way, I have no problem finding my way to the grocery store without a guide.

Archived