HELP-can't find the thread "what you will see when sailing out of New Orleans"

cruiser1956

Please help, there was a VERY informative thread that detailed what you would see when sailing out of New Orleans, and down the river. Of course I did not print it off yesterday, and can't find it today (yes I did look really hard) Anyone remember where that information is?

Sailing out of New Orleans for the first time, and trying to find out all the information I can... :)

Thanks in advance.

i can tell you it takes about 8 hours to get down the river. early on you will see a lot of interesting things, but further down it is very commercial. the boat sways quite a bit due to twisting of the river. Once out of river the oil platforms are pretty cool to see. You won't see beautiful blue water until day two.

It'll be dark so don't set your hopes on seeing much exciting stuff until you hit the oil fields of the Gulf of Mexico...then you get to see lights all over the place.

I've been up the river well past NOLA and really don't recall seeing much that excited me, except as we tied up at the grain elevator...

Enjoy the cruise...

I have sailed the Mississippi several times and there really isn't a lot to see. As you are leaving New Orleans, there are businesses and other ships, but as you go along the river, not much at all.

It takes 7 hours to get to the Gulf, so it will be dark when you get there. When you get up in the morning, you will see beautiful blue water!!! Not the brown Mississippi muddy water.

May have been in a different forum, as Royal Caribbean does not currently sail out of New Orleans. Of course, Voyager will be there after she returns from her next stint in Europe.

There are some interesting and historic sites along the river between New Orleans and Chalmette, if you know what you're looking at. I'm not an expert on that, though. As others have said, by the time you get much further downriver, it will be dark.

Please help, there was a VERY informative thread that detailed what you would see when sailing out of New Orleans, and down the river. Of course I did not print it off yesterday, and can't find it today (yes I did look really hard) Anyone remember where that information is?

Sailing out of New Orleans for the first time, and trying to find out all the information I can... :)

Thanks in advance.

Is this the one?:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1211622

JimmyJames

jimjamxx,

Thats the one, thanks for finding it for me.

As for the rest, thanks for the information. I just booked the Voyager out of New Orleans in February 2012. Valentines Day! Had the Mariner booked, but I have never cruised from New Orleans, nor have I been on the the Mighty Mississippi, so I am looking forward to something new and different.

Ok, so now, the sway of the ship.... something to be overly concerned about? The worse seas I have experienced were coming out of the inside passage in Alaska, surely it can't be that bad?

So, how is it from the airport to the ship, not a very long ride I am assuming?

Rollin down the river....... I will be singing Tina all day now :)

Here is all the port info you will need:

(Airport about 17 miles from port, 45 to 60 minutes depending on traffic.)

http://www.portno.com/pno_pages/cruises_passenger_info.htm

JimmyJames

Archived