Advice on upgrading please:)

PK34

I am currently booked in to an AB suite on the 3/6/11 Pearl. There are several suites in categories above ours that are still available. A1,A2,A3 and AA. I'm seriously thinking about upgrading to have access to the courtyard. It will be just my husband and I. I'm thinking the A2 would be unbelievable if we did that. However, not sure I want to spend that much more. Comparing the A3 and AA, is it a big pain to have to go from deck 10 to deck 14 for the courtyard? What would you do?

It's all personal. I've stayed in an A3 with 6 people and we loved being so close to the courtyard and Cagney's. Yet, the perks of an AA would justify being further away. What about an A2? You get the perks of an AA, but you're only steps away from the Courtyard. Enjoy!

Edit in: You may want to just sit tight a little longer on upgrading, since there are still a number of higher suites available. The prices will probably continue to drop. They did for my sailing that's living 2/25 on the Dawn. I snagged an AA last week after it dropped about $2,000 pp in the last couple of weeks. Even a couple hundred dollar drop per person will add up when it's multipled by 2!

It's all personal. I've stayed in an A3 with 6 people and we loved being so close to the courtyard and Cagney's. Yet, the perks of an AA would justify being further away. What about an A2? You get the perks of an AA, but you're only steps away from the Courtyard. Enjoy!

Edit in: You may want to just sit tight a little longer on upgrading, since there are still a number of higher suites available. The prices will probably continue to drop. They did for my sailing that's living 2/25 on the Dawn. I snagged an AA last week after it dropped about $2,000 pp in the last couple of weeks. Even a couple hundred dollar drop per person will add up when it's multipled by 2!

If you want to upgrade your room after final payment paid, due to a drop in price for the better room, does NCL let you with no penalty as long as it's a higher price than you've paid?

We just did our first NCL on the Jewel 2 weeks ago in an A3. We have rebooked for March on the Jewel in an A3. I think the A3 is priceless especially for us going out of NY in the cold. I did not see many people venture up from deck 10 suites. I became very spoiled.

I would love the A2, but right now it's $2000 more than the AA and A3. Sounds like I should just sit tight for a bit and see what happens:) The prices already dropped once at the end of last week.

If you want to upgrade your room after final payment paid, due to a drop in price for the better room, does NCL let you with no penalty as long as it's a higher price than you've paid?

As long as you're going up in the categories and not down, my experience has been that they'll work with you after final payment even. I went from an AE to an AA last week because of the price drops. I paid a little bit more than if I had waited to see if the Upsell Fairy called me, but it was still too good of a deal to let someone else snag first!

Yes:) I upgraded to an A3 room , from a BA after final payment.. Not problem what's so ever.

Comparing the A3 and AA, is it a big pain to have to go from deck 10 to deck 14 for the courtyard? What would you do?

We were in an AA on the Jewel last May (NYC to Bahamas). We did not find the walk to be a problem, but it did require a bit of planning when we went up to the courtyard so that we had what we wanted without having to head back to the cabin for a forgotten item. For our next cruise, we selected an A4 in the courtyard, partly because the courtyard will now be steps away and partly because it costs less than the AA. But, in doing so, we know we are giving up on square footage in the cabin and the two balconies (including the huge front one). Since we are next sailing in November out of NYC, we thought we would not miss the additional balcony space (it might be somewhat cool for a day or two down and back). Plus, as others have pointed out, the private sun deck is just upstairs. Regarding the cabin square footage, while the AA was impressive in terms of its size, we do not think it is necessary for us. I think either is a good choice!

Archived