Missed ports in Hawaii

cinamongirl

We are travelling on the Spirit to Hawaii in September. I have read a few posts that talk about how the Maui port was missed due to bad weather. Does this happen often in Hawaii? I was wondering because we were planning on booking some excursions online - not through the cruiseline- and wondered if we would simply be out of luck (and pocket) if we booked these tours & then for some reason we were unable to tender at that port. I know that you would be reimbursed if it was a cruiseline sponsored activity. However, some of the activities offered online look much more interesting (and sometimes cheaper) than those available from the cruiseline. Anyone have any experience with this?

We were on the 2/3 cruise that missed Maui. We had a limo booked for a few hours of sightseeing. Their policy was 24 hours for cancellation. We called as soon as we heard that Maui was cancelled (approx 6:30 pm the night before). They understood that we had no control over the weather and said they would not charge us. I haven't seen anything on my credit card. They were great and were sorry we weren't going to be able to stop at the island.

I was wondering because we were planning on booking some excursions online - not through the cruiseline- and wondered if we would simply be out of luck (and pocket) if we booked these tours & then for some reason we were unable to tender at that port.

Anytime I book independent tours on any itinerary (not just Hawaii), I make sure to clarify with the tour operator that I won't be charged if the ship cannot make it into that port. Of course, something like that is easily verifiable by the tour operator, and thus far I have never been told that I would have to pay if the port was entirely skipped by the cruiseline. Most of these tour operators realize that occasionally, through no fault of their own, people will have to miss the port and they are very understanding about not charging you. If one does tell you that you would be charged, I simply wouldn't book with that operator.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Is Maui the one that is missed the most? What about others? We are renting cars in other ports, not Maui and would wonder how to cancel if we don't find out until we are back on the ship. I guess, since we aren't very far out, my cell phone might work, huh? We are traveling in December, so weather could be an issue. :(

Is Maui the one that is missed the most? What about others? We are renting cars in other ports, not Maui and would wonder how to cancel if we don't find out until we are back on the ship. I guess, since we aren't very far out, my cell phone might work, huh? We are traveling in December, so weather could be an issue. :(

First, I had no problems with my cell phone working around the Hawaiian Islands.

As far as missing a port, In the winter Maui can be a problem for some of the ships. Some, like the POA, always docks on one side of the island, but some of the others anchour and tender on the other side. Any time you tender there's a chance the seas might be too rough. Another thing that happened around New Years was Kauai had bad rains and flooding causing ships to bypass it and change their itineraries.

Again, I don't believe this happens too often in Hawaiian ports but if you rent cars or do tours different from the ship's tours, it doesn't hurt to have a Plan B.

Thanks! In Maui, we are to tender on the Lahaina side. Not renting a car or booking an excursion there... beach day! So that looks to be safe, although I will be mighty bummed to miss it! Sounds like the others shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks again!

Tina

Are you tentering in Lahaina? - Must be if you are on the Island Princess... just saw that. There is a shuttle that runs from Lahaina - take it to Whaler's Village. Kaanapali Beach is right there... It was recommended on this board, so you can do a search for it to read more about it. Spleen has been very helpful! I am looking forward to it and hope the seas don't keep us from tendering... We don't go until December. If you do go, please let us know how it was.

Hilo isn't a tender port - it's a dock port. Waves can be high in the area which can make the approach and the tie down tenuous which is why I think it can be skipped. Maybe others who have had to miss Hilo in the past will chime in with the reasons ...

Spleen

In Nov '03 on the Ensenada/Hawaii sailing of the Infinity, left Ensenada on the 16th. We missed the port of Hilo due to 20' waves. We actually pulled into the dock, but quickly left and went around to Kona. The good part about it was we were able to complete the immigration check while we were sailing around to Kona. They had hoped to be able to have tender service in Kona overnite, but the coast guard would not allow it because of inadequate lighting at the pier.

This past Nov we made the same trip and had nothing but clear skies and smooth seas. Also on this trip while we were waiting for our plane in Honolulu on Dec 2nd, we were talking to someone who had just completed their cruise. They had tendered at Lahaina and because the seas became too rough, the Captain weighed anchor and took the ship out to sea, stranding about 500 people in Lahaina overnite. Not sure of the ship, but it may have been the Island Princess????

Sailing in Hawaii in September you have a small chance of missing port do to bad weather. Its November and December you have to worry about. On our Hawaiian Cruise in late November 2003 it wasn't the weather that caused a change in our itinerary. There was a medical evacuation while sailing out of Hilo for Fanning Island. Oh well we missed fanning Island. Instead we got a full day at port in Kona and instead of a half a day in Maui we got two full port days. I had rental cars at three different locations and didn't loose a thing. Just remember anything can happen. Sometime it works out for the best. Tim

Norwegian Sky Alaska 05/03

Norwegian Star Hawaii 11/03

Royal Caribbean Splendor of the Seas Meditterean 05/04

I would think there would be a very slim chance in April, but I doubt there are any guarantees. We've cruised 5 times from/to and in Hawaii, all in Oct, Nov, Dec and Jan and only once did we miss a port. Coincidentally we did have a tour booked in that port through the cruise line and we received a full repayment. I wouldn't worry about it, just relax and enjoy a cruise in Paradise.

Our cruise to Hawaii in late November of 2003 did not meet the legal aspect of the Jones Act. Now whether or not there is a loop hole in the Act stating that there under Medical condition you are void I don't know. I suspect that Norwegian paid some kind of a fine. It was well known at the time that all of the Norwegian ships were missing Fanning Island at a rate of one out of five. Do remember that when sailing to Fanning Island you have to keep up a good rate of speed or you will get behind in your schedule. Our ship (Star) had to slow down and position its location for a Coast Guard helicopter to land. I even saw a C130 refueling aircraft make a pass by the ship. The way I look at it is maybe next time we will make Fanning Island.

By the way. The Star two weeks before we sailed missed two ports because of bad surf. It was my understanding that the ship returned to Honolulu a day early. Happy Cruising

Norwegian Sky Alaska 05/03

Norwegian Star Hawaii 11/03

Royal Caribbean Splendor of the Seas Meditterean 05/04

Archived