Cruising lbs

Browneyedhunni85

-2 to -5 depends. I always stake the stairs weather no matter how far. I also do WW and log every point. I only drink water, nothing else.

wow that seems pretty boring, only water huh. I think I broke even last cruise. Took stairs walked alot on ship as well as off.

I have also been on a diet and lost 6 pounds. I so don't want to gain it back! Its too hard losing it. I'm going to try my best to not over eat but I will have a dessert at dinner each night. Hopefully with all the walking I will at least stay even! I still have lots to lose.

I gained 7 pounds on our 7 days aboard the Liberty. I went into the cruise with the idea that the food was a big part of the cruise. I didn't deprive myself of anything. I am in the process of getting back down to my normal weight....but I really miss that Damn Chocolate Melting Cake!!!

Assuming that everyone lives in the frozen north. Maybe it's why the girls keep themselves looking good down here all year long.

OP is from Georgia. Wouldn't say I assumed she's from the north. My point was its January. And for her not to freak out that she enjoyed her dinners on the cruise. And ya know... you're right... I've never seen any over-weight people in Florida :rolleyes:

I gained 5lbs on a 2 week vacation that included a 7 day cruise. I knew I would...wasn't too worried about it. I ate bread with dinner every night and dessert twice a day. I rarely if ever eat those things at home on a normal basis. Also, on the cruise we couldn't take the stairs much since we had 2 strollers with us. However in 5 days home from vacation I lost 6lbs...so no big deal! But man do I miss the food...especially that cake!

I have been a lifetime member of Weight Watchers for 11 yrs and have managed to maintain my goal weight. I haven't cruised yet but my plan is to always use the stairs, eat a reasonable breakfast and lunch and enjoy what ever I like for dinner, including dessert :) I do not like buffets so no problems there. I hope I don't gain but if I do it will only be a few lbs and no matter, it's winter here:D

How much weight do you normally gain while cruising? I'm currently doing weight watchers and we were on the Elation last week. I had weigh in on Saturday and it was not good. I went into vacation saying I would not deprive myself and believe me I didn't. Ugh, now it's time to work the extra weight off.

Hi BrownEye: I'm a life-long member with WW now. Took off 40#. It is hard to keep it off. I have put back on 5#, but plan to take that off by my son's May 2011 wedding to get ready for photo ops.

To answer you question: I joined WW right around my first cruise. Believe it or not, I lost 2#. How? Went to early stretch class, did morning walks, took the stairs and stuck with the plan. I also made a mental decision BEFORE the cruise to "stick with the plan."

Now on my second cruise, I gained 1 or 2#. Why? I didn't make that mental resolution before hand and I decided to eat about 5 pieces of bacon at breakfast, thinking it would be "okay." Classic gluttony reasoning. Also no morning early stretch class. Took off the weight though once I got back.

For my other cruises, I didn't gain anything because of that "mental" resolve. DH and I ate mostly in the main cafe so we could pick and chose. I could always find healthy choices there. Grew tired of the MDR scene, but when I did eat there, chose healthy things and didn't eat it all. We also find ourselves sooo tired from POC, we'd rather just wear our slippers and munch in cafe area. On POC days, we order smoke salmon bagels to our room (just hand write it in on menu).

Okay, so you fell off the wagon. We all do. It took me way longer to lose that 40# than it should, just over a year. But I did do it. Do not skip class. Accept you did wrong and get over it....

Make better plans for next cruise.

Now my struggle is that my team made it to the football play-offs, Steelers..... What an eating frenze we went on, even with low-fat foods. Okay... gotta repent myself and get back on the wagon of the Plan... That May wedding will be here before you know it. I've started a Full Body work out in addition to my morning power walks. If there is a will, there is a way....

Please do not give up.. You can do this with some help from your WW friends... It will be sooo worth it in the end. Good for you and your marriage. I consider WW saved my life bc I was digging my own grave with my spoon. Chin up and I hope to see less of you this year (as they say).

Hope this helps.

With all those stairs? Seriously? How can anyone gain weight when you are constantly going up and down the stairs? We've always enjoyed the extra workout, and being able to eat a little more without gaining weight.

With all those stairs? Seriously? How can anyone gain weight when you are constantly going up and down the stairs? We've always enjoyed the extra workout, and being able to eat a little more without gaining weight.

I don't understand how casually going up and down stairs even 10 times a day can help you fight off the melting cake lbs. Hey if it works for you, great; it just wouldn't for me.

I don't understand how casually going up and down stairs even 10 times a day can help you fight off the melting cake lbs. Hey if it works for you, great; it just wouldn't for me.

Good question. I don't have any stairs in my home. It is ranch style. Also, I am a part-time medical transcriptionist and then a part-time bookkeeper for a small business. Though this combo allows me flexibility to travel, it is also a recipe for secretarial spread!! Those are the exact muscles needed to go up and down stairs. HA. Learned that after my first muster drill on my first cruise. The large muscles in the legs burn more calories too.

So, it is a matter of speeding up the metabolism too. I have arthritis in both my knees, so I cannot climb step quickly, but I can still do the steps, just slowly. Before cruises, I go to my public library and go up and down their steps to get ready for the ship. LOL (not kidding).

I also like to avoid the germs of a crowded elevator. Oh, once, I got stuck in the elevator. What a rush of adrenoline!!!! I tell ya. It was on RCI. I pushed their red button and immediately got an answer. A worker came and pried the doors open in less than 5 minutes. Was practing my deep breathing the whole time. So, that's another reason for the steps. LOL.

Love, love, love to talk about cruising. Can you tell?

It's a "simple" matter of if you eat more (even a little bit more) on a cruise than you normally do at home, you will most likely gain some weight. Despite what people claim about climbing the stairs and walking around more, you will NOT burn off more calories than you take in.

Do the math. How many flights of stairs do you have to climb at 2-3 calories per flight of stairs(not steps, a flight is 16-20 steps) to burn off one warm melting chocolate cake with ice cream at 920 calories (460 from the cake, 260 from the ice cream). Or how many laps around the ship would you have to walk?

310-460 flights or 9 miles of walking (92-185 laps depending on which deck and which ship you are on). :eek: I'm sure you want to spend ~3 hours of your cruise day doing this.:rolleyes: All this, of course, assumes you weigh around 160 lbs +/- and are of average height. Actual calories burned will vary slightly if you are heavier or smaller, but not by a lot.

In sum, while you will surely indulge, don't be glutten. Keep active, but don't get any false notions that you are "burning up" those extra calories so you can eat more.

I certainly enjoy myself and eat more then I normally would but at the same time I don't over do it. Only 1 plate (not over flowing) and salad at lunch, ice cream and treats in the afternoon and only one item from each section of the MDR menu, never from the spa section. In four cruises I think I only took the elevator twice and that makes a big difference, plus walking around in the port!

Do the math. How many flights of stairs do you have to climb at 2-3 calories per flight of stairs(not steps, a flight is 16-20 steps) to burn off one warm melting chocolate cake with ice cream at 920 calories (460 from the cake, 260 from the ice cream). Or how many laps around the ship would you have to walk?

460 + 260 /= 920 :p

jk ;)

Archived