Help me pick a camera

mebecindi

I have seen so many beautiful pictures on these threads. My question is what kind of cameras are people using. I have a 100.00 fuji camera and i also have a 130.00 kodak camera. I am not out to buy a 500.00 camera but I would like a camera that will take good pictures day and night. And although i get good pics with my cameras, I want something better for our first cruise. Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

Thanks in advance for your help!!!

Honestly - I know it's not what you want to hear - but, you should save up and invest in an SLR. You can get a decent starter one now in the $500-$1000 range (depending on what you want). A DSLR will give you the freedom to get the shots you want to get as long as you invest in the time to learn how to shoot in a manual mode and not in auto shoot.

Some point and shoots have decent manual modes where you can take good pictures, but, I don't know point and shoots, so I can't help you there.

i agree with cohollywood on the SLR thing.. I had a canon xti and then i sold it for a canon 7D so i could take HD videos.. i'm sure the xti is pretty cheap nowadays! But i know not everyone needs professional looking pictures, so I would suggest looking into the FujiFinepix XP10.. I just bought mine used on eBay for $60, but they sell it brand new for around $150 on amazon.. it's an awesome little camera, takes hd video, AND it's WATERPROOF so you can take underwater pics/videos! how awesome!

This article gives you a comprehensive list of reviews for the various levels of digital cameras out there:

http://www.photographyblog.com/articles_best_digital_camera.php

I myself prefer a DSLR with a few good lenses but not everyone can afford that or invest the time in really learning how to use it without running it in auto mode. Good luck finding a great camera!

i agree with cohollywood on the SLR thing.. I had a canon xti and then i sold it for a canon 7D so i could take HD videos.. i'm sure the xti is pretty cheap nowadays! But i know not everyone needs professional looking pictures, so I would suggest looking into the FujiFinepix XP10.. I just bought mine used on eBay for $60, but they sell it brand new for around $150 on amazon.. it's an awesome little camera, takes hd video, AND it's WATERPROOF so you can take underwater pics/videos! how awesome!

I just searched this and found it on Amazon for $119.00 new and $199.99 on QVC.com. WTH...lol Anyways, I have the Fujifilm Finepix Z37 and it takes alright pics but I was trying to take a picture outside the other night and it was blurry and fuzzy no matter what setting i used..

I love the fact that it is waterproof.

I love my Canon PowerShot G9. It does everything I need it to do, has a great zoom, and is very user friendly. Pics are beautiful, from extreme close up's to infinity. Mine is 2 or 3 yrs. old. I know they have new models of this camera in the "G" series now. It's a little pricey, but I think it is a bargain for the quality you get. Plus, the battery holds a charge much longer than other digital cameras I've had, and that is so important when cruising.

Also, you can visit the Photography board by going to the drop down box at the bottom of this page and finding it. There are several "pro" photographers who frequent that board but might not see your question here. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=-1&f=118

Was thinking about this one as well. have you used it underwater, does it take good pictures, and is it easy to upload to YouTube? Thanks for the info!!;)

I just searched this and found it on Amazon for $119.00 new and $199.99 on QVC.com. WTH...lol Anyways, I have the Fujifilm Finepix Z37 and it takes alright pics but I was trying to take a picture outside the other night and it was blurry and fuzzy no matter what setting i used..

I love the fact that it is waterproof.

I don't know how soon you're planning on buying your new camera but I'll be going on my first cruise Feb 20th-27th so I'll be sure to take some pics with my new Fuji Finepix XP10 and post them on here for you to see if you like it :)

I don't know how soon you're planning on buying your new camera but I'll be going on my first cruise Feb 20th-27th so I'll be sure to take some pics with my new Fuji Finepix XP10 and post them on here for you to see if you like it :)

YES!!! Please do.

I was looking into the SLR cameras-- and figured for the cost and for what I use it for-- 2 times a year while on vacation just didnt warrent the cost associated with it.

Awesome photos just not worth it for me.

We decided on the Nikon 8100.

OP- Im sure your camera does take nice shots-- but if you play with the settings and use the camera manually instead of on AUTO-- you should see a difference in your photos.

dp review dot com. is a great place for camera reveiws. I personally think, and from what I have been told, cannon and Nikon are the top two in cameras. I personally am a cannon and would recommended a cannon camera. If you ever want a dslr the t2i is nice and has hd video. But a SLR is a big investment. With lens and such.

We just bought a new camera a couple of weeks ago. I like to take pictures but don't do it often enough to justify buy an expensive camera. We decided on the Sony Cybershot DSC-H55. It is rated in Consumer Reports as the 2nd best in the compact models. It was about 200 dollars at Sam's Club. Seems to take good pictures but haven't used it a lot yet.

if you know the basics you can take good pictures with any camera even a kid's point and shoot. Instead of focusing on the cost of the camera I'd suggest taking a photography course at a community college or adult ed if you have those available to you.

I agree to take your camera off of auto and learn what it can really do.

I have the Sony Cyber-shot and love it!! I am just an amateur but take hundreds of photos on a cruise!!!:D

I shoot with a pro kit normally, but when I want one I can just put in my pocket... I second the vote for the Sony Cybershot... works well in and out, even with the barage of colours on the cruise ships :)

I recently bought the Canon SD1400 for my first cruise. I read a lot of good reviews on it and decided to go with it. I got it for about $150 at Best Buy. It takes really nice pictures (people have complimented on the quality of the photos). However, my sister told me that when she printed off the photos from our cruise, the pictures that were zoomed in turned out blurry. Not only was the zoom an issue, pictures taken at night turned out horrible. You can't see anything. But, I believe these are errors on my part. I don't really know how to use it yet and I don't know how to adjust the settings accordingly. I'll be sure to master it for my next cruise. :p But, overall, I love it! I got it in pink and it's the cutest little thing ever! :D

Take a look here: http://www.imaging-resource.com/WB/WB.HTM

Find which category you fall in. Ignore the silly people who tell you a DSLR is the thing. Maybe even your smartphone will be good enough :D

If your current camera is a couple years old a 100-200 dollar P&S does some pretty amazing things, as does your newest smartphone.

I have seen so many beautiful pictures on these threads. My question is what kind of cameras are people using. I have a 100.00 fuji camera and i also have a 130.00 kodak camera. I am not out to buy a 500.00 camera but I would like a camera that will take good pictures day and night. And although i get good pics with my cameras, I want something better for our first cruise. Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

Thanks in advance for your help!!!

I have the Nikon coolpix L110. I love it. The HD vid camera and the 15x zoom on the picture. I am very amatuer in my photo skills and I get some amazing pics and vids..plus the price was great.

I was going to say the same thing. I have one too. I am a professional photographer and LOVE this one to have something more compact than a full fledge SLR. It has some of the features of a SLR. Oh and one more thing, I paid right around $270 for mine at Best Buy. Good luck

I'm a photographer & I hate lugging around my equipment while on vacation.

Go with a P&S. I'm about to buy a new cam for our next vacation & want something that I can use on land & in the water.

I'm considering the Canon D10 & the Panasonic Lumix DMC TS2.

Good luck.

I just bought a Panasonic Lumix DMC TS2. I love it so far. I love the fact that I can take it on any excusion and not worry about it getting wet. Pictures are pretty good, although I generally set the settings to the worst quality because I take about 20-50 pics a day for work and like to save hard drive space. I will dial up the quality settings when on vacation. You can get a 16 gig sd card for $50 or so.

Archived