Help me pick a camera

mebecindi

I have an Oylmpus. It's waterproof, shockproof, and freezeproof. Best of all it take great pictures, both in water and on land. Worth every penny because you can bring it everywhere and not worry. Whats the point of buying a camera for a cruise that you can bring on the excursions.

I do inspections for HUD on foreclosure properties. I take over 1000 pictures a day. (Actually about 30000 a month) I am currently using a Fuji S2550HD for work. I've had it about 4 months now and am starting to have issues with the shutter button. It takes great pictures and has 18x zoom which is great for what I do, but I'm torn about recommending Fuji as this is the second one I've had in the last two years that really hasn't held up as well as I would like. I've also used Olympus SW series 850 and 1030 waterproof cameras. They were great!! Took good photos and were built like a tank. They just had 3x and 5x zooms which I found a bit restrictive for me. They just wore out after a couple of years. I also have used a Nikon D50 with a Sigma 18-200 zoom. Wore that (and the lens) out as well and was a bit bulky to handle, but I loved the fact that there was no lag in being able to shoot the next photo like you will have with a P&S. I am seriously thinking about getting a Nikon D90 for work again as the shutter lag and flash recovery time on P&S is extremely frustrating for me. If you can raise your budget to the $1000 range I think you will be really satisfied with what you can get in that price range. I am no professional photographer, but I know cameras only because I rely on them for my work. (make sense?)

I love my Sony Cybershot and I've taken thousands of great pictures with it over the years. When I get ready to buy a new point and shoot, I'm going for one of the waterproof cameras instead. They are not only good for snorkelling, but rainy days, and other wet environments. I think any of the good name brands will have a good option. You should go to a store that sell a couple of varieties and see which one you like best (or read the online reviews, but there's nothing like getting a feel for the camera beforehand.

Because I love taking pictures, I spent a large chunk of change on a nice DSLR and some nice lens. Since I'm still a novice at DSLR photography, I can't say the picture quality is all that much better than my point and shoot.

It takes a lot of time and practice to get the professional quality shots like the pros. For most vacationers, a good point and shoot is cheaper and way more convienent than a DSLR.

I assume you are doing the PCR for HUD. How much do they pay you in Alabama for these, if you don't mind me asking?

I do routine inspections. $25 a property. My sons do the HPIRs @140 per and $45 for winterizations on properties that require them. We used to do the total P&P and routine maintenance, but after 17 years we decided that it was time to let someone else muddle with that mess and we are totally inspection oriented now. Much better. HUD turned things upside down on this contract round though by bringing in multiple FSMs instead of just the one as in the past. Its made a lot of work available for a lot more people though.

"The best camera is the one you have on you!"

I myself am an amateur photographer, but i did recently invest in a photography course to learn how to use my Nikon D60 DSLR. Best decision I have ever made!! Using your cameras' Manual settings make all the difference in the world - as many have stated.

I do travel with the DSLR, and a lens or two, but i also have an Olympus waterproof P &S for beach days too. I hate it. Even after skimming the instructions, i have no idea how to use it, lol!

I know this isn't much help, but it's not the camera that makes the difference so much as the person knowing how to use it. Get what fits best in your budget, skill set and suitcase!

Jill

I want to say Thank you to everyone that has replied. I will definitely start looking into some of the cameras mentioned. Honestly...I am SOOOO confused now....lol

But I will figure it out, I have a year before we cruise....

I am SO excited...

if you know the basics you can take good pictures with any camera even a kid's point and shoot. Instead of focusing on the cost of the camera I'd suggest taking a photography course at a community college or adult ed if you have those available to you.

I agree to take your camera off of auto and learn what it can really do.

Couldn't agree more. It's much more about the photographer than the camera. :D

Did you read this http://www.imaging-resource.com/WB/WB.HTM

Figure out which bucket you fall in and go to your local camera store and try the camera's out. I'd not trust the "I like" from the web. Maybe the opinions from dpreview or something but everyone here has a different take on food, best line etc. Without knowing your ergo needs, photography needs/standards, size of hands what works for one person may not be for you.

I want to say Thank you to everyone that has replied. I will definitely start looking into some of the cameras mentioned. Honestly...I am SOOOO confused now....lol

But I will figure it out, I have a year before we cruise....

I am SO excited...

I have seen so many beautiful pictures on these threads. My question is what kind of cameras are people using. I have a 100.00 fuji camera and i also have a 130.00 kodak camera. I am not out to buy a 500.00 camera but I would like a camera that will take good pictures day and night. And although i get good pics with my cameras, I want something better for our first cruise. Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

Thanks in advance for your help!!!

The vast majority of the truly good pictures that you see are taken with DSLR cameras, and by people that have literally taken thousands of pictures.

The key thing to look for is an exceptional quality lens. Most point and shoot cameras do not have really good lenses because of the way that they focus. Unless you are going to blow the pictures up really large you do not need a huge amount of mega pixels. Anything over 5 or 6 is fine.

Your best bet is to spend $750 or so and get an entry level DSLR and then just start taking pictures and lots of them.

Also look in travel magazines and such for ideas about what to take pictures of so that you can capture your vacation like a pro.

I am on my 2nd Sony Cyber Shot and love the pictures, we actually even got one for my daughter, so its 3 for the count. The pictures are great as long as you have the settings adjusted correctly, it is like a no brainer good picture camera. I have taken the camera on a 12 day Medeterannian cruise and took over 1800 pictures that were awesome. I blew some of those pictures up and have hung them around my house. Last year it went on our Caribbean cruise and again it did not fail me. I did buy a cheap underwater camera that wasn't too good and am going to try to look for a better underwater camera for this year's cruise.

Karen

Archived