Inverse smuggling 101

nijh

I've purchased the Premium Alcohol Package.

Should I be able to take hard liquor/beer/more than 2 bottles of wine on board?

Never mind "why would you?", surely if I do I will be 'stealing' from myself - so what's wrong with that? :cool:

Discuss.

Ramifications considered.

Economically, it would make sense for the cruise line to allow you to bring all the booze you want. If, with the Premium Alcohol Package, you have virtually unlimited access to all the drinks you want, anything you bring aboard yourself and consume just lessens the amount of their alcohol you deplete. Are there drinks that still have to be purchased separately, even for Premium Alcohol Package purchasers? I suppose that high-end bottle of champagne that goes for about $5,000 or so a glass. In that case, you can bring aboard everything otherwise sold in the package, but you have to buy the good stuff separately, so you can't bring that.

The only consideration I can think of is that their bartenders can cut you off if they feel you're too far gone, though I doubt this actually happens much-- anyone ever seen it happen or have it happen to them? I assume it's a rare occurrence. It might be an insurance concern, causing higher premiums, if their policy were modified to allow a passenger to BYOBBBBBBBBBB. Reference the recent incident where an inebriated passenger managed to drop anchor on a cruise ship that was underway. An insurance carrier might be concerned about an increase in such incidents if the cruise line allowed a passenger to drink as much as he or she desired by having their own private stash in their cabin. Does one have the opportunity to get as smashed as one wants with the Premium Package? If so, this argument would be moot.

The rules only allow two bottles of wine per cabin, and I suppose the reason there is no exception for Premium Alcohol Package purchasers is that it wouldn't make sense for someone to even want to bring and consume their own joy juice when they can drink X's supply, so why bother?

I think no. What would prevent you from splitting the cost of the drink package with someone else and then splitting or selling the extra alcohol you bring onboard?

Yes - good point from X's point of view; I could indeed sell the bottles of alcohol brought on board.

As for splitting the package, both I and DW have paid for the Premium alcohol package (or at least we will have by the time we board).

PartyAllDaTyme

Oh, wait. You mean hypothetically

Absolutely.

Some of the Cruise Critic members, really have way too much time on their hands. For some of the "veteran" Celebrity cruisers (you know who you are) have a negative answer for everything someone asks. If a person feels the need to ask a question that they feel is warranted, what is the problem with giving a sincere answer? If you have children, and when they were toddlers asking questions, were you as hateful to them as you are to some of the people on here? Wow!

My husband and I are really wishing that we would have booked a cruise where our fellow cruisers weren't of the belief that they are holier than thou! Either we are sailing with a bunch of "old geezers" or a horrible amount of Hippocrates.

I'm getting the Premium Alcohol package BUT Celebrity never has my drink of choice, Stoli Razz. Therefore I'll probably still smuggle some on board. Yes, I'm breaking the rules and Yes, it is my liver!

Just fyi, I was recently on Solstice, and many of the martinis I ordered included stoli razz. The molecular bar (awesome place) also had several concoctions with stoli razz. You may be in luck this time...

Some of the Cruise Critic members, really have way too much time on their hands. For some of the "veteran" Celebrity cruisers (you know who you are) have a negative answer for everything someone asks. If a person feels the need to ask a question that they feel is warranted, what is the problem with giving a sincere answer? If you have children, and when they were toddlers asking questions, were you as hateful to them as you are to some of the people on here? Wow!

My husband and I are really wishing that we would have booked a cruise where our fellow cruisers weren't of the belief that they are holier than thou! Either we are sailing with a bunch of "old geezers" or a horrible amount of Hippocrates.

I am sorry you feel that way about those of us you are going to be sailing with... not sure what any of us have said to warrant this kind of comment!

I am sorry you feel that way about those of us you are going to be sailing with... not sure what any of us have said to warrant this kind of comment!

I am not saying everyone is this way. If you go back and read questions that people may ask, some of the people that reply are down right hateful! Cruise Critic is a great resource to get information, but when someone (and we get them too) get some of the hateful answers, it kind of makes you wonder the kind of people that are on here.

I am sorry if my post came across as everyone. There have been a few people that have replied to our questions that were very helpful.

I'm an old geezer and never have an unkind word for anyone, so could I politely request that you rethink your attitude. Yes, there are posters who have negative (but they think helpful) things to say. Yes, there are posters who criticize others. But what makes you think they are "old geezers." Maybe the critical people are the young hotshots who think they know so much when the old geezers have learned that we all make mistakes. This is not a criticism of all young hotshots - we were all there once. We all knew everything at one time, and then as we aged realized how much we had to learn.

Finally, not to be overly critical, but I think you meant hypocrites. Hippocrates is the oath physicians take to do no harm. An amusing error.

Let's see.... you already have the capability to be "Drunk as a Skunk" the entire cruise without having to haul anything onboard.

But, then again, you're an adult.

It is YOUR liver.

Enjoy your cruise.

You can buy another liver in St Thomas using your Elite coupons if you need to.....

Geez Louise some people! :p:rolleyes:

..My husband and I are really wishing that we would have booked a cruise where our fellow cruisers weren't of the belief that they are holier than thou! Either we are sailing with a bunch of "old geezers" or a horrible amount of Hippocrates.

Have I, or the others on our roll call, done something to offend you? From what I can recall all the discussion on our roll call has been very cordial and aimed at helping each other as well as toward establishing goodwill and friendship. I'm sorry if you don't feel that way for some reason. Step back and take note that you're complaining about other people complaining and at the same time referring to people you haven't met yet as "a bunch of old geezers". (If anything, I consider myself a young geezer:rolleyes:) None the less, I'm sure you'll have a fantastic time on your cruise, but do give us all a chance.

I'm an old geezer and never have an unkind word for anyone, so could I politely request that you rethink your attitude. Yes, there are posters who have negative (but they think helpful) things to say. Yes, there are posters who criticize others. But what makes you think they are "old geezers." Maybe the critical people are the young hotshots who think they know so much when the old geezers have learned that we all make mistakes. This is not a criticism of all young hotshots - we were all there once. We all knew everything at one time, and then as we aged realized how much we had to learn.

Finally, not to be overly critical, but I think you meant hypocrites. Hippocrates is the oath physicians take to do no harm. An amusing error.

Bravo.....I love your reply and now am looking forward to being an "old geezer" one day myself!

:confused::confused:To what posts do you refer? I don't know if it's me, so I guess that means it isn't me, since I'd know it was me if it was me. You know? Really, I didn't see anything hateful in anyone's posts, with maybe one exception.:rolleyes:

If you can reverse smuggle the ship's liquor off the ship in empty bottles, can I load up a suitcase full of waffles?:eek::D

Archived