Cruise parking

north east girl

I'm thinking about booking the cruise parking near to the Southampton port.

How does this work in regard to parking? Do you park yourself? Will there be long queues when you arrive to park? Is the parking close to the port?

Any help on this would be greatfully received.

Catherine

I'm thinking about booking the cruise parking near to the Southampton port.

How does this work in regard to parking? Do you park yourself? Will there be long queues when you arrive to park? Is the parking close to the port?

Any help on this would be greatfully received.

Catherine

Hello Catherine,

A Company called CPS Ltd (Cruise & Passenger Services) operates an excellent service right at the dockside. You simply drive into the dock, right up to the entrance to the terminal where your vessel is berthed, and CPS personnel will be there to welcome you. The luggage will be taken from your vehicle by the porters, and the CPS staff will give you a receipt for your car, and one of their drivers will then take it away to their car park. The car will be brought back to a car park immediately adjacent to the terminal on the morning of your arrival back at the end of your cruise. Simply check in at the CPS office at the exit of the terminal, where your car keys will be exchanged for the receipt that they gave you for the car when you left it. More details can be found at https://www.candps.com/site/contact/default.htm There are other services available, but I have found this one to be the best.

Several hotels in the Southampton area also offer a "package" deal, whereby if you stop with them the night before your voyage, you get parking at the hotel at e very much reduced rate. They will transport you and your luggage from the hotel to the embarkation terminal on the morning of your departure, and also collect you an take you back to the hotel to collect your car at the end of your voyage.

Hope that this helps,

Regards,

David

Hi Catherine

I too have used CPS and can confirm what David has said. Its by far the easiest, albeit not the cheapest, but it removes all the hassle of parking the car and dealing with luggage etc.

Ken

They dont always bring it back thought, they will drive it away and park it, but you normally have to go and get it,its only a few yards away

They DO bring your car back Rob - to a dedicated "Collection Car Park" that is adjacent to the exit from the terminal. When your car keys are handed back to you, they will have a tag on them indicating in which row and space your car is parked.

When you initially leave your car at embarkation, it is driven to a large storage site outside the dock complex, and are then brought back to the Collection Car Park very early on the morning that the vessel returns.

Regards,

David

Hello Catherine,

A Company called CPS Ltd (Cruise & Passenger Services) operates an excellent service right at the dockside. You simply drive into the dock, right up to the entrance to the terminal where your vessel is berthed, and CPS personnel will be there to welcome you. The luggage will be taken from your vehicle by the porters, and the CPS staff will give you a receipt for your car, and one of their drivers will then take it away to their car park. The car will be brought back to a car park immediately adjacent to the terminal on the morning of your arrival back at the end of your cruise. Simply check in at the CPS office at the exit of the terminal, where your car keys will be exchanged for the receipt that they gave you for the car when you left it. More details can be found at https://www.candps.com/site/contact/default.htm There are other services available, but I have found this one to be the best.

Several hotels in the Southampton area also offer a "package" deal, whereby if you stop with them the night before your voyage, you get parking at the hotel at e very much reduced rate. They will transport you and your luggage from the hotel to the embarkation terminal on the morning of your departure, and also collect you an take you back to the hotel to collect your car at the end of your voyage.

Hope that this helps,

Regards,

David

Hi David, thanks for the quick reply, it really helps me making my mind up about a boutique hotel that I want to book for the night before the cruise.

It does not have any parking, also considering the train if I can get the right price.

Thanks every one who also replied, I knew I would get some help on here.

Catherine

Hi David, thanks for the quick reply, it really helps me making my mind up about a boutique hotel that I want to book for the night before the cruise.

It does not have any parking, also considering the train if I can get the right price.

Thanks every one who also replied, I knew I would get some help on here.

Catherine

Hi Catherine :)

I have used CPS a few times with no problems but it can be expensive if you're on a long trip. I have just booked the train back from Southampton to Manchester in April for £21.50. I used the crosscountrytrains dot com website.

Hi Catherine :)

I have used CPS a few times with no problems but it can be expensive if you're on a long trip. I have just booked the train back from Southampton to Manchester in April for £21.50. I used the crosscountrytrains dot com website.

Hi Stephen, Thats a good price, I've just checked them out and the cheapest return I can get is £240 + for 2 tickets. I want a train with no changes.

Catherine

Hi Stephen, Thats a good price, I've just checked them out and the cheapest return I can get is £240 + for 2 tickets. I want a train with no changes.

Catherine

It's usualy cheaper to book two singles than a return. I would keep checking the price as it does tend to drop. The day before I booked at £21.50, they were quoting £90.50. Maybe check for the same train on a different date or dates that should give you an idea of how low it can go. :)

It's usualy cheaper to book two singles than a return. I would keep checking the price as it does tend to drop. The day before I booked at £21.50, they were quoting £90.50. Maybe check for the same train on a different date or dates that should give you an idea of how low it can go. :)

Thanks Stephen, I'm also checking out the cheap ticket line, the only problem is you have to wait until 12 weeks away from the date you require them. You never know I might get lucky, otherwise we will be driving down.

Catherine

They DO bring your car back Rob - to a dedicated "Collection Car Park" that is adjacent to the exit from the terminal. When your car keys are handed back to you, they will have a tag on them indicating in which row and space your car is parked.

When you initially leave your car at embarkation, it is driven to a large storage site outside the dock complex, and are then brought back to the Collection Car Park very early on the morning that the vessel returns.

Regards,

David

Okay, your right, it is me being daft, I assumed they took it away, across to the car park and left it there for two weeks.

I have to say, its a good service, we have been taken by car now and then, but your own car ready and waiting is great

I just booked a good deal at the Hilton for my Southampton cruise departure. Overnight bed and breakfast, transfer to and from the dock, and parking for the duration. £129, which I thought was good.:)

Thanks for the tip Darcy15, I've also checked out deals like that, not for this hotel. The thing that has put me off is some of the bad reviews I've read on tripadvisor.

Also might go two days before so we could visit our son before he goes away with the navy for 3 months.

Catherine

I just booked a good deal at the Hilton for my Southampton cruise departure. Overnight bed and breakfast, transfer to and from the dock, and parking for the duration. £129, which I thought was good.:)

Hi Darcy,

We also did this several years ago and it is excellent value for money that does work out significantly cheaper than using CPS. It is particularly suitable if traveling a long way by car, as the journey can be made the day before embarkation, thus eliminating an ultra early start on embarkation day, in order to allow for the possibility of punctures/accidents/traffic congestion etc.

The only minus points were that the transportation from hotel to dock was via the 10-seater hotel minibus with a 'Tow-a-Van' trailer behind for the luggage, which had to make several trips to transport all of the passengers. This meant that, unless you were very lucky, you did not arrive at the dock at the time that you would have chosen to if traveling in your own car. Similarly, the return trip from dock to hotel at the end of the voyage could entail a wait for the mini-bus to fill up before it returned to the hotel.

Ultimately it is a case of one's personal choice and balance between cost and convenience.

Regards,

David

Check out the ibis. OK it's your standard basic room but they charged me £3 per day for a 27 day trip last May which I thought pretty fair. But ring them rather than book online. I can't remember the room rate but it certainly wasn't enough to be memorable.

Gari

Check out the Ibis. OK it's your standard basic room but they charged me £3 per day for a 27 day trip last May which I thought pretty fair. But ring them rather than book online. I can't remember the room rate but it certainly wasn't enough to be memorable.

Gari

Yes but it was in duplicate though :D

You know, you make one mistake on this board and they're all over you like a cheap suit (whatever one of those is).

£3 pd parking of course I should have written. And BTW it's wicked to mock the afflicted.

A Single-handed Gari

I got a very similarly priced deal from The MacDonald, Botley Park last time out. From memory, the pre-cruise night in the hotel on a B&B basis, plus the three weeks free parking came to about £20 more than CPS were going to charge me just to park.

This time out we're staying in the Holiday Inn but the CPS parking comes free as part of the cruise package.

J

I have to say, its a good service, we have been taken by car now and then, but your own car ready and waiting is great

I found the service very efficient the only time I've used it.

My only problem was nothing to do with CPS - if you are returning to the Mayflower Terminal, think very carefully about whether you want to wheel a heavily laden baggage trolley to your car because their are rail lines along the roadway between the terminal and the car park, and these can be tricky to negotiate. If you aren't travelling alone it's better to leave your wife/husband/partner/companion looking after the luggage and then go back and get it once you've retrieved the car.

J

Archived