Insignia DVD players and rest reservations

bobolz

has anyone been on the Insignia recently? When we first booked the cruise we read on their site that the C1 category rooms had DVD players, however, when we received our official documents, it did not mention that as an amenity. Although when i spoke directly to a rep at O, they said all of their rooms had DVD players, they were built into the TV. So just want to confirm

Also, if you were in one of the "NOn-concierge" level rooms, did you have problems booking the specialty restaurants after you arrived on board? just wondering if the 2 rest reservations we booked in advance will be the only ones available when we arrive since more than 1/2 the ship seems to be concierge level and they get priority booking.

Thanks in advance for any responses

I was on Insignia this past summer, in a B-2 room but I think the amenities are the same as a C-1 room. Yes there is a DVD player. I don't remember if it was built into the tv or not but there is definitely one there.

Regarding availability of seats in the specialty restaurants, that depends on a lot of factors -- including whether or not your ship is sold out. I've been on O cruises where people seem to prefer the GDR and don't use the specialty reservations they are entitled to and I've been on others where we could only get the reservations we had booked in advance. From our experience, if you want to go to Polo or Toscana more often that the two times you have already booked, show up at either restaurant at an off time early in the cruise. If they have available tables they may be happy to offer one to you. If you wait too long into the cruise, you may be out of luck. I sailed once on Regatta with a couple on their honeymoon. They tried that approach and ate in Toscana or Polo every night during the first week. After that week, they inquired about availability but were not able to get a table.

We were in a C1 & yes there is a DVD player ...not built in but the tv sits on top of it. ask at reception for any movies you want

There is a list in cabin

As Aruba has already mentioned ...just go to the Maitre'd station in the Terrace in the morning and ask if there is any availibility in the specialty restaurants

They usually will take your name for the waitlist if none are immediately available

We have had extra seatings but it depends on the other people on the cruise if you will get them

Enjoy the cruise

Lyn

We were just on Regatta and had prebooked our two allotted specialty reservations online beforehand. When we embarked, I went up to the Polo Grill to ask about other available openings but they were limited to group tables only at that point unless we wanted to go the night before disembarkation. There was a maitre d' at a computer every morning near the juice/specialty coffee bar in the Terrace Cafe checking availability for reservations as well. Because the specialty restaurants focus on service they only try to book a certain number of tables each hour so even if it looks only partly full they may not let you in if you just turn up in the evenings.

has anyone been on the Insignia recently? When we first booked the cruise we read on their site that the C1 category rooms had DVD players, however, when we received our official documents, it did not mention that as an amenity. Although when i spoke directly to a rep at O, they said all of their rooms had DVD players, they were built into the TV. So just want to confirm

Also, if you were in one of the "NOn-concierge" level rooms, did you have problems booking the specialty restaurants after you arrived on board? just wondering if the 2 rest reservations we booked in advance will be the only ones available when we arrive since more than 1/2 the ship seems to be concierge level and they get priority booking.

Thanks in advance for any responses

The DVD player is built into the cable box and is controlled by the same remote control. The players are compatible with both NTSC and PAL DVDs (i.e American & European format).

If you have difficulty in getting your DVD to run, call the front desk and they will send up an "engineer" who will get everything set up for you.

As you can imagine, passengers are always playing with the settings on those sets and players, so sometimes they need adjusting back to the proper configuration.

If that is the case. DON'T try to wing it, let the professional handle it.

:D

Thanks Lyn, Comcox, Aruba (sorry I forgot you too) Jim and Stan for the quick response.

I had a feeling that there woudl be no tables available unless you were willing to share with others and that works out fine. We have already met some people that we would want to sit with, so I have no problem. Just wanted to see if even sharing would be a problem.

Thanks again :)

The DVD player is built into the cable box and is controlled by the same remote control. The players are compatible with both NTSC and PAL DVDs (i.e American & European format).

If you have difficulty in getting your DVD to run, call the front desk and they will send up an "engineer" who will get everything set up for you.

As you can imagine, passengers are always playing with the settings on those sets and players, so sometimes they need adjusting back to the proper configuration.

If that is the case. DON'T try to wing it, let the professional handle it.

Well said! We encountered a DVD player last year that had been "played with" by a previous passenger. A call to Reception, and they reset it back to the original settings in short order.

Incidentally, the DVD player can also be used for music discs. However, it will not recognize "homemade" music discs in MP3 format.....

We have already met some people that we would want to sit with, so I have no problem. Just wanted to see if even sharing would be a problem.

You have a better chance of extra seatings if you are flexible with times & willing to share a table.

Enjoy the cruise

lyn

You have a better chance of extra seatings if you are flexible with times & willing to share a table.

Enjoy the cruise

lyn

I agree with Lyn. We never have had a problem getting more seatings but I always indicate both of the above to the person by the computer at the front of the Terrace Cafe during breakfast hours.

We have had better luck just showing up at Polo or Toscana and asking if they have a deuce available, rather than trying to make a reservation at the podium in Terrace Cafe that morning.

If they say no, there's no disappointment since we love the MDR also.

Incidentally, the DVD player can also be used for music discs. However, it will not recognize "homemade" music discs in MP3 format.....

This is correct; I wish I had thought to ask this question before our cruise. I couldn't listen to any of my Diana Ross or R & B. :(

This is correct; I wish I had thought to ask this question before our cruise. I couldn't listen to any of my Diana Ross or R & B. :(

Now you're talking my language!

p00318j9fb3.jpg Speaking of the Supremes, have you seen this?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003647BTK/ref=oss_product

It was my present to myself for my next cruise! :p

Now you're talking my language!

p00318j9fb3.jpg Speaking of the Supremes, have you seen this?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003647BTK/ref=oss_product

It was my present to myself for my next cruise! :p

It looks like a great CD! I normally burn my own, but I think I have every song downloaded that Diana Ross or Diana Ross and The Supremes have ever done.

I've seen Miss Ross 3 times now and would definitely see her again if she came back to Vancouver.

I'm slightly narrow-minded when it comes to music :D and I don't listen to much else other than Motown.

• 8 months later...
Thanks Lyn, Comcox, Aruba (sorry I forgot you too) Jim and Stan for the quick response.

I had a feeling that there woudl be no tables available unless you were willing to share with others and that works out fine. We have already met some people that we would want to sit with, so I have no problem. Just wanted to see if even sharing would be a problem.

We agreed to "share" all our meals on Marina on our last sailing, and met some absolutely fascinating people of all ages (well, all ages over 50 anyway). It was one of the most fun things we did on the cruise.

Archived