Answers for those excited about Ketchikan

alaskandude

Thank you for all this info. My friends turned me on to this site to help with my trip up to your state this summer. So looking forward to it. We are booked with True Alaskan Charters who my friends went with last year. My two girls dont want to fish but are thinking about the Whiskey cove kayak trip. Is it worth it and is it safe for two almost teen girls.

Guest Crazeecat5

Alaskadude,

My DH and I will be there in July. He wants to fish and I would love to just be an observer. Do you know of any companies where I can go too and not fish?

Thanks.

couvmom- the kayak guides are pretty well trained, I would not worry about them. They never go to far from shore and there is a skiff that follows them in case there is a problem.

crazeecat- There is only so much room on a charter boat and most captains will probly want to get something for the tour. My best thought would be to contact one of them. Call true Alaskan charters who I know do good work and see what they will offer. The views out on the boat are just as good as the fishing. Don't forget the camera.

couvmom- the kayak guides are pretty well trained, I would not worry about them. They never go to far from shore and there is a skiff that follows them in case there is a problem.

crazeecat- There is only so much room on a charter boat and most captains will probly want to get something for the tour. My best thought would be to contact one of them. Call true Alaskan charters who I know do good work and see what they will offer. The views out on the boat are just as good as the fishing. Don't forget the camera.

You sure talk a lot about True Alaskan Charters. Are you sure you don't work for them? I need to get someone like you to promote me since I can't promote myself. :cool:

later

I commercial fish out of here, I should make the plunge and buy myself a boat to sportfish out of. True Alaskan are a great group of guys and do great work. And I have hoped I have answered questions for the people who have asked. And what do you think these guys want info on, our 60 jewelry stores that are in town? :D I am having a great time on this site, I love all the people who come up here to see my state and my hometown. I just want them to have a great time and enjoy what Ketchikan has. So there! If you want to advertise to the people who use this site for info buy some ad space from cruise critic.

I commercial fish out of here, I should make the plunge and buy myself a boat to sportfish out of. True Alaskan are a great group of guys and do great work. And I have hoped I have answered questions for the people who have asked. And what do you think these guys want info on, our 60 jewelry stores that are in town? :D I am having a great time on this site, I love all the people who come up here to see my state and my hometown. I just want them to have a great time and enjoy what Ketchikan has. So there! If you want to advertise to the people who use this site for info buy some ad space from cruise critic.

I am just having some home town fun! Don't take it too seriously! I too am here to help people and have some fun. I am a commercial fisherman when I'm not guiding - So there! :-)

Later alaskandude!

Alaskaq Dude:

Husband and sons are booked for a full day with True Alaskan Charters. I'm not into fishing(we have a boat here on the Atlantic. I love to go sit on it at the dock but don't like going out on it. :rolleyes: LOL) I'm thinking about doing the Saxman village tour through the ship since I'll be on my own. Is Totem Bight better? Any other in town tours you might recommend?

Mom23- That is a tough decision. Saxman and Totem bight are both unique and great. If there is a tour available on your ship that does both take it. If not the tour you have out at Saxman will show you more. Totem and clanhouses but you will also be able to see demonstrations of the carving of poles by some well known carvers. We have one carver here that has poles all over the world.

I was at Saxman a few years ago and they were carving a totem to go on the Radiance Of the Seas. If you happen to be on that ship you might want to chose Saxman and then you can get a bit of a rush whenever you walk by the totem (I think it's in the pool area, but I haven't sailed her since they installed it)

-Monte

I have a question about fishing for salmon: I'm completely a novice at fishing, so bear with me!:confused: :D

If you go on a charter and catch salmon, halibut, etc., does the charter company clean, fillet and ship to your home? What happens?

I've never fished in my life, so this will truly be an experience!:eek:

I have a question about fishing for salmon: I'm completely a novice at fishing, so bear with me!:confused: :D

If you go on a charter and catch salmon, halibut, etc., does the charter company clean, fillet and ship to your home? What happens?

All of the charter captains in Juneau (that I know) will gut and gill your fish and then deliver it to a processor. The processor then does the filleting and shipping. We have all of the paperwork for the processor right on board the boat. You recieve your own fish 1 - 2 weeks later all frozen, packed, and ready! If you are on an extended trip, you can put a "do not ship before" date and they will hold the fish until you get home.

Fish on!

All of the charter captains in Juneau (that I know) will gut and gill your fish and then deliver it to a processor. The processor then does the filleting and shipping. We have all of the paperwork for the processor right on board the boat. You recieve your own fish 1 - 2 weeks later all frozen, packed, and ready! If you are on an extended trip, you can put a "do not ship before" date and they will hold the fish until you get home.

Fish on! Capt. Gus

Has anyone fished with Northern Lights Charters? Has the experience been good? The are considerably less then True Alaskan Charters.

When my clients ask me who to go fishing with in Ketchikan, I always recommend Ken at Northern Lights Charters. All of my clients that went with him before fishing with me in Juneau have given him great reviews.

Fish On! Capt. Gus

When we shipped fish home before it cost about $3.50 per pound. I dont know if it has gone up since then. There was a smaller company(can't remember the name) that did it and we had no problems.

The reason I think True Alaskan Charters is $20 more per person then Norther Lights is because they wil fish for halibut and salmon. We looked at them both last time and we wanted to fish for both. Hope this helps. The fishing is so great up there. Only 5 more months:D :D :D :D :D

• 1 month later...

Hey guys

Just back from a nice long vacation down south. Are you guys ready for your cruise. Only a couple months left. Let me know if I can help with any questions about the first city in Alaskan, Ketchikan.

See you soon

Archived