Ventura - More curiousity Qs :-)

WATB

Hi everyone, thank for all your responses to my previous questions, they've definitely be a great help to me :)

Its funny how just when you think you've found out all you need to know........a whole load more questions pop into your mind :confused:

A bit of a whoosy question first........we're heading up into the North Sea in late spring and just wondered how rough it can get at that time of year :eek:..........we'll be taking the sea sick remedies but should I forget the sparkly heels and just take some flatties ??

Does anyone know how the restaurant allocation works ?? is the Bay Tree Restaurant for those who have Suites and Deluxe Cabins and the Saffron for the rest of us ??

We've requested a table for 2 (romantic :o), what's the likelihood of us getting this ??

Cheers once again for your input, WATB

Restaurant allocation: I think it's pretty random. We've been assigned to both restaurants on different cruises, despite being in exactly the same cabin. To be truthful, the only difference between them is the decor: one of them (I can't remember which) has darker wood panelling. Cinnamon restaurant is for Freedom dining.

Two-seat tables: I don't know what your chances of getting one are. However, you might want to know in advance that the two-tops are quite close together, so you are likely to get to know your dining neighbours anyway. Two-seat tables in East and the White Room are further apart.

Thanks for your reply Tom.....We'll have to wait to see where we're allocated and fingers crossed we get a table for 2, not really bothered which restaurant as I'm sure they are both very nice :)......we are on the second sitting so was guessing this would be less popular with families giving us a better chance we'll get a table to ourselves !! Any ones guess I suppose !!

Our Transatlantic on Ventura had 2 separate cruise numbers for the 14 and 15 night cruise. We were told that one restaurant was for the 14 dayers and the other for the 15 dayers which made sense as the new passengers getting on in Barbados went to the the one just vacated by the 14 dayers.

Does this post make any sense at all LOL! :D

""A bit of a whoosy question first........we're heading up into the North Sea in late spring and just wondered how rough it can get at that time of year :eek:..........we'll be taking the sea sick remedies but should I forget the sparkly heels and just take some flatties ??""

Take flatties AS WELL.

I have been in both the North Sea and the Bay of Biscay when they have been like a Mill Pond. I have also been in both when they have been rough, very rough.

As a couple of examples of the North Sea. Once, it was so smooth, so eiry and with fairly poor visibility, it was frightening. Really smooth. Not a ripple. But on another trip across the North Sea, it was so rough we had to abort our journey.

As with the sea anywhere. You cannot tell.

Some people dread the Atlantic crossing. Only done it three times, but it has been nice and smooth.

:)

Yep makes complete sense, thanks U2 :) I can see now they must organise according to where and when their guest embark.....We are on a 7 day round trip so I assume most people will be joining at the same time, if the restaurtants are identical it doesn't matter where we go......but I wondered if one was better for views ?

OMG Rum Rat.......that must have been really scary to have to abandon the trip :eek:

Sparkly flatties are now on my shopping list too.........I'm defintely going to be prepared, don't want to go to the formal night in my trainers !!

Cheers for the tip :)

As with the sea anywhere. You cannot tell.

Some people dread the Atlantic crossing. Only done it three times, but it has been nice and smooth.

:)

Wasn't there a flat calm the night Titanic hit the iceberg? - I think I read that somewhere.

Yep makes complete sense, thanks U2 :) I can see now they must organise according to where and when their guest embark.....We are on a 7 day round trip so I assume most people will be joining at the same time, if the restaurtants are identical it doesn't matter where we go......but I wondered if one was better for views ?

No real views as such from the restaurants, maybe if you had a table by a window but you would only see sea mostly, as well as it may well be dark too. Romantic is nice but so is the joy of meeting new people (hopefully nice people).

Oh yeah !! :o ........You've got a point there Quercus.........I guess after the first couple of days seeing the sea gets a bit samey.......!!

Its not that we're unsociable but we'd just like the chance to spend a bit of time to ourselves as our time alone is pretty rare nowadays......

We have thought about opting for freedom dining but as we generally won't be eating until later we couldn't see much advantage in it.........but if we'd defintely get a table for 2 on this option then we'd switch........

If anyone has got any tips on how best to get a table for 2, please could you pass on your suggestions, it would be most appreciated. Many thanks to you. :) WATB

Oh yeah !! :o ........You've got a point there Quercus.........I guess after the first couple of days seeing the sea gets a bit samey.......!!

Its not that we're unsociable but we'd just like the chance to spend a bit of time to ourselves as our time alone is pretty rare nowadays......

We have thought about opting for freedom dining but as we generally won't be eating until later we couldn't see much advantage in it.........but if we'd defintely get a table for 2 on this option then we'd switch........ WATB

I think the best way of making sure you're going to get a good, private table for two is to eat in the White Room or East. We've eaten in East a couple of times (one dinner, one lunch) and we felt very private. Others can comment on the White Room (Sue?) - we haven't eaten there (yet).

That's going to be our strategy for the forthcoming Ventura cruise, which is 17 nights. We'll mainly eat at an 8-seat table for Club dining, but we've decided we're going to have a number of meals in the other restaurants: we'll try to book a couple each in East & The White Room, plus maybe Ramblas and perhaps even the buffet one night. Even if we have six meals elsewhere, that'll still mean 11 nights at the big table in the MDR, so that should be an enjoyable mix of sociability and dinners on our own.

I think the best way of making sure you're going to get a good, private table for two is to eat in the White Room or East. We've eaten in East a couple of times (one dinner, one lunch) and we felt very private. Others can comment on the White Room (Sue?) - we haven't eaten there (yet).

That's going to be our strategy for the forthcoming Ventura cruise, which is 17 nights. We'll mainly eat at an 8-seat table for Club dining, but we've decided we're going to have a number of meals in the other restaurants: we'll try to book a couple each in East & The White Room, plus maybe Ramblas and perhaps even the buffet one night. Even if we have six meals elsewhere, that'll still mean 11 nights at the big table in the MDR, so that should be an enjoyable mix of sociability and dinners on our own.

This is what we did. We tried to have one night on and one night off in the MDR. We even had 1 evening meal on our balcony from room service and really enjoyed that. If you go to the waiter served part in the buffet, be sure to call by for a table on your way for a drink as it is usually very busy.

You could eat outside one night at MPW's and inside on a different night. :)

You could eat outside one night at MPW's and inside on a different night. :)

This indeed my thinking. One of the legs on the cruise will be Korkula to Corfu, which I don't think is far, so presumably slow sailing. I quite fancy eating outside that evening. Even the restaurant will be facing the right direction: sailing southwards, the aft terraces will get the setting sun, and that's where the White Room is.

Hi we saw a table for two in the bay tree . Two people sitting at a table for eight for a fortnight is not very romantic:(.

I a surprised no one has mentioned the beachhouse , starboard , for an evening meal. During the day it is a buffet area at night it is silver service . No cover charge but there are a couple of items which have a charge.

E.g the fillet steak ,£6.50. What you get is a seared fillet on a hot lava stone slab which you slice and cook on the slab . It is a delight you have to go . The steak was one of the best I have ever had .

Archived