What is in the gym - IOTS?

The free weight area is relatively small (by mainland gym standards), but fairly big (by cruise ship standards). There are 3-4 benches. Things will be busiest in the mornings on the first few days of the cruise.

We sailed on Independence in February of 2010. They have a large fitness area that is full of equipment and is really nice. Plenty of strength training machines in addition to the many treadmills and other cardio machines available. They also have an indoor cycling area, but I believe they charge extra for those classes and you can't just use the Spin bikes when there isn't a class. There is also a group fitness floor for other classes like Yoga, abs, etc. That is available for anybody to use when there aren't any classes going on. IOS also has a full-size boxing ring, but I believe that is an additional charge if you would like to use it.

The entire fitness area has plenty of clean towels and is really nice. The locker rooms are spotless and you have great views of the ocean as you do your workouts. One of our favorite parts of each day was working out and burning some calories before replacing them with the food and drink calories that came later. The spa is located on the deck above as I recall and there is a staircase connecting the two areas.

Mornings are crowded in the fitness area, but you'll learn the timing and either go a little earlier, or when most people have staggered off to breakfast. On rainy days it stay busy in there most of the day but we never had any long waits for equipment.

I would bring a lock for your locker (if you want to change and shower there) otherwise just a water bottle is needed since towels are provided. People walk around the ship in their bathing suits (I'm not a fan of this) and workout clothes so you can change and shower in your room if you prefer. You'll be better/more dressed than many.

Running outside on the track is a lot of fun. Walkers stay out of the way most of the time, but you'll have to dodge people occasionally.

We were confused and slightly amused by the people who would come into the fitness area (probably out of guilt), sit down, and do 5 or 6 reps on some machine that they had never used before and then give up and walk out. It was pretty obvious that they didn't exercise regularly, so what made them think they would kick off a healthier lifestyle during the middle of a cruise?

Enjoy your workouts on the beautiful IOS! We certainly loved that part of each day and the ship is absolutely wonderful.

Andy

Archived