Noob Questions

billichka

My Wife (30) and myself (44) have never cruised! We have used our frequent flyer miles to purchase round world business class air tickets in August/September 2011 and have decided to try a 7 day meditteranean cruise - to say that we are looking forward to this is an understatement!

Our choice of line/ship at this point is the Seabourn Legend which sails from Monaco to Rome on August 26 - September 2, we like the idea of a smaller, more intimate cruise experience and have a couple of noobie questions:

1. Windows. We will book an A1 suite that has a window, do the windows open? (or would that let water in causing a flood......!). A little concerned about the smoking in suites policy on Seabourn (we are non smokers) and figured that having a window that opens would help.

2. The voyage concludes in Rome, arriving at 7:00AM. Elsewhere I have read to allow an extra 2 hours for the ship to clear customs + at least 2 hours by car to the airport. So we should get there at 11:00AM if this is correct which will have us there in plenty of time for a 1:35PM flight - is there any thing else that takes up time that I should allow for? The flight time is not negotiable as it is the latest flight available that day to NYC (our next stop) using miles.

3. There was an earlier post regarding the main restaurant onboard no longer opening for breakfast and lunch on a trial basis. Has this become a permanent change?

4. The cruise departs Monaco at 5:00PM, is it posible to check our bags in early then go exploring in Monaco prior to departure? If so, what time should we get back to the ship?

We will be very grateful for any help received. :)

Hi Noobie - glad to hear we have another new pair trying Seabourn. Your questions - a window suite, A1 has a pretty large window, and you can just about sit on the windowsill, but it definitely does not open! You should not have a problem getting a flight after 1 p.m. from Rome, but should get off the ship as early as reasonably possible, say about 8.30 a.m. or 9, as it is about an hour from the ship to the airport. Unless things have changed, it is only on the larger ships, not Legend, that the dining room is sometimes closed for lunch, on days in port. I am pretty sure you could check in your bags early in Monaco, though to me, as you are new to the ship, you might find it more restful to get used to everything on the ship during the afternoon. You would have to be back for lifeboat drill, about 4 p.m. Others will come in later when the USA wakes up, so there may be slightly different advice.

Smoking - you will not smell it in your suite, and there is very little space for smokers on board, and usually only very few who do smoke, though it can spoil the lovely upstairs lounge on occasion where one half is available to smokers and the aircon is not up to it. The club is nice for pre and post dinner drinks, and smoking is no longer allowed there.

The windows do not open, but you are steps away from the decks. I, too, am a non-smoker and have never been aware of any lingering smoke scent in my suites. I don't think I am alone in this report.

The MDR on the Legend remains open even on port days. There is not enough room in the Veranda to seat everyone, in case of inclement weather. Not to worry. I have done the itinerary recently and it is delightful. I cannot comment on the other quetions, but am sure someone else will chime in. Welcome to CC!

Archived