Costa Maya w/ Kids

kathycmiller

:rolleyes: We need some suggestions for kid-friendly tours in Costa Maya. I have 2 children, 4 & 9, who like to be outdoors. Many of the tours offered by the cruise line do not allow children under 5 to participate. Does anyone have a good suggestion (ship tour or outside company)? A quick response is appreciated, we leave this weekend. Thanks!

Hi Kathy-

Try Ivan at

http://www.chacchobenruins.com/wst_page8.html

They are an independent tour company, he has set up a wonderful tour company that offers tours to Chacchoben ruins - the ruins are only an hour away so the kids won't be too bored 'getting there'. From the pier get a 'taxi/van' into Majahaul for 3.00 per person (not sure if kids are discounted), Ivan will meet you at his booth in the village and then take you to Chacchoben (43.00 per person- again not sure about kids price) The tour around the ruins is two hours and all of the guys in the company are locals - they grew up in the vicinity and know their stuff cold! Ivan grew up on the grounds of the ruins, how much closer can you get than that!

With a private guide you will enjoy yourself more as the kids will have much more fun than in a big group with tons of adults. They can't climb on the first structure that you come across but they can climb on the Gran Basemento, which is just behind it. It is a very 'kid friendly' place, as long as you of course go up the steps with them - it's a long way up and what is on the other side I couldn't tell you as I had a sore leg when I was there and couldn't make it past the first 10 steps - so do go up with them.

Then, once you get back to Majahaul drop into Willy & Lavida's Tapas bar, sit down on the beach and enjoy a drink and some of their incredible salsa and chips while the kids play on the shore - you can be as close as 5 feet from the ocean so you are within 'jumping' distance of the kids at all times! On the way back to the taxi stand (2.00 per person to get back) shop for some great blankets and silver!

My husband, daughter (age 5) and I did the Beach Break party at costamayacruisexcurisions.com and loved it. We posted an extensive review at http://www.caribbeanportreviews.com/CostaMaya23.htm. This is a beach at the end of town(Majahaul) that has a nice bar and a nice place for kids to play in the water. You catch a shuttle to Majahaul (it costs $3 - $4 per person), take it to the last stop and walk 5 more minutes to Pez Quadro bar and beach. You can catch a taxi back to the ship for a few dollars a person also. One thing to note is that I have read other reviews stating people waited an hour to get a shuttle to Majahaul, but we wait only about 15 minutes.

Enjoy your trip.

Archived