be wary of Carnival's "policies" on dive equipment

MindTheGap1918

We sailed on the Victory last week and had an issue with Carnival in regards to what scuba equipment can be brought on board. When our luggage was delivered to our room, we were missing a bag with my boyfriend’s scuba equipment in it and let our cabin steward know and he informed us they were still delivering luggage. We proceeded to get ready for dinner when guest services called and stated my boyfriend needed to go retrieve his bag from security. Security would not let his bag through because they stated he had a tool in his bag. The “tool” was a small wrench designed to fit regulator hoses on scuba equipment. My boyfriend has cruised with Carnival in the past and taken this same “tool” with him and it is not listed on Carnival’s prohibited items. After realizing ship security was being unreasonable and not going to let him use it after he repeatedly explained its use, he asked them to lock it up so he could retrieve it at the end of the sailing and they refused saying it was seized and he could not have it back! Carnival’s policy allows divers to bring dive knives to be locked up until the scheduled dive day, but he can’t have his small dive wrench specifically made to fix regulator hoses? The policy specifically states that any prohibited items will be locked up and returned at the end of the sailing and the wrench was clearly not a “tool of trade’” that warranted being disposed of. There was also a woman dealing with security because she attempted to bring an iron on board (clearly on the prohibited items list!) and she was told she could have it back at the end of the sailing. After dealing with security, we attempted to resolve the issue with Guest Services and they stated they had no control over what security removed from bags. He even explained the situation with the lady and the iron and was told “that’s different”. We attempted to resolve the situation with Carnival since we’ve been back home to get reimbursed for the tool (and no, we aren’t looking to get a free cruise out of it) due to lack of clarification in their policies, but Carnival refuses to do anything.

Interesting. As a fellow scuba diver, I've taken certain of my equipment, in particular, my regulator, wherever I go. I took it on our cruise last year on the Victory. And I've always had the tools I need to make adjustments when I put everything together at the dive site. Apparently things are changing. Based on what you've said here, it does sound as though you had the misfortune of dealing with some grouchy security folks. And you're right - if they're going to confiscate something like that, they should at least return it at the end of the cruise.

So we can't bring a corkscrew for our wine? Do they supply one in the cabin

As I mentioned .. mine was metal .. though that shouldnt affect it, they saw it. I think they didnt know what the rules were, as it obviously isnt a 4 inch blade.

I got mine from my room at the Intercontinental .. so probably would have had issues flying home with them (we stayed there twice, 2 ships). But its totally silly as they then give you a steak knife at dinner.

Just stupid to me ..I got a free one on RCL that is plastic that they allowed. But not the metal one. your cabin steward will have one he can use to open the wine too.

A wrench? A simple, no-frill wrench?

What I mean is, was it part of a combo-tool like a Leatherman with a blade on it?

Nope, no blade on it or any sharp edges for that matter. These wrenches are small and they are specifically made for dive equipment.

I'm all for whatever security is necesary for the safety and well being of the ship's passengers. But a healthy dose of common sense is also in order. I'm familiar with the wrench mindthegap is referring to. It's a small wrench, not too unlike the kind of wrench you might get when you buy a skil saw. It's about as unpretentious as a wrench gets. If someone were to come after you with this wrench, you'd most likely just have a good chuckle and go on your way.

I'm all for whatever security is necesary for the safety and well being of the ship's passengers. But a healthy dose of common sense is also in order. I'm familiar with the wrench mindthegap is referring to. It's a small wrench, not too unlike the kind of wrench you might get when you buy a skil saw. It's about as unpretentious as a wrench gets. If someone were to come after you with this wrench, you'd most likely just have a good chuckle and go on your way.

And wouldn't you know he needed his hose tightened when he did his first dive and had to borrow a wrench from another diver. The wrench is something that can obviously be replaced, but it's just the point of the lack of common sense and indifference by Carnival to clarify their own policies. It kinda ruined our 1st day of vacation (well until the Steelers won :))

And I also agree with the point made by Firefly, they give us steak knives at dinner! Anyone can pocket those and do more damage than with a small dive wrench or cork screw!

Carnival should be ashamed of how they handled this. Regulator wrenches pose no security hazard at all, are not inexpensive and can be an important part of a divers gear. Heck, they don't even look threatening.

Are you reading this Carnival???? I can guarantee a number of scuba divers are. It's not a big deal to admit security screwed up but in the end, you owe MindTheGap1918 a replacement tool.

And MindTheGap1918, please let us all know if Carnival guest relations man's up and takes care of you.

I can understand it on a plane, where you dont have access for the next week to a steak knife in the dining room. But Carnival acts like you are boarding a plane, and it just makes no sense... and the rules are not handled uniformly. They look for metal, ah ha ,, this could be a weapon .. like you couldnt stab someone easier with your steak knife if you were so inclined. ..

And MindTheGap1918, please let us all know if Carnival guest relations man's up and takes care of you.

After speaking with Carnival this morning, he was told they would not reimburse for the wrench. After my boyfriend told them he was disgusted as a past guest by the handling of the situation and stated he would not cruise with CCL again, the rep asked for a description of the wrench and would contact the dock to see if it turns up. She said if he's not contacted in 30 days then consider it gone.

I think we all know how it's going to go.

I rarely post replies on this board but I have to on this one... I cruised last year and had a bottle of wine delivered to my room from our travel agent. It also included a METAL corkscrew. After opening the bottle of wine, I just threw the corkscrew into my purse (and forgot about it) so that I would not lose it. Well.... after the cruise we had two flights to get home. Both airports let me walk through security and board the plane with this in my purse. When I got home and cleaned out my purse I rememered that it was in there and was really shocked that this did not get confiscated. If they are going to take a 'wrench' of all things, why do they give us forks or knives???? :rolleyes:

I rarely post replies on this board but I have to on this one... I cruised last year and had a bottle of wine delivered to my room from our travel agent. It also included a METAL corkscrew. After opening the bottle of wine, I just threw the corkscrew into my purse (and forgot about it) so that I would not lose it. Well.... after the cruise we had two flights to get home. Both airports let me walk through security and board the plane with this in my purse. When I got home and cleaned out my purse I rememered that it was in there and was really shocked that this did not get confiscated. If they are going to take a 'wrench' of all things, why do they give us forks or knives???? :rolleyes:

Corkscrews are not on the TSA Prohibited Items list.http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm

Archived