Stateroom Categories

JenPett

DH and I are pretty settled on which cruise line we are going to go with, I am going to a Cruise Night presentation next week just to be sure :)

We are looking at going with Carnival. I am looking at the different stateroom options. I definitely want to have a window or balcony access. We are considering staying in a suite. We have a (will be) 2 year old and want to have space in our room so that if he is sleeping we are not right on top of him and can still go about the room.

Does anyone have any advice about which type of stateroom is best? Have you stayed in a suite? Worth the extra $$$?

Thanks!!

JenPett

Well, the suites are the best, but they are also the most expensive. I suspec that those who stay in suites will say they are worth the money. Many who stay in lower categories will say they are not. It comes down to your preferences and finances.

I do not think the suites are worth the money.

BUT it will get your priorty boarding and with a 2 year old that suite becomes priceless.

Suite also has a bathtub

regular balcony cabins only a shower-- but we showered out 18th month old while she sat on the floor.

(the shower head is a hand held one)

Category cabins--- 4's are inside cabins

6's are oceanview.-- cabins with only a window.

8's are balconys.

OS and Vista Suites are suites.

the letter denotes the location. lower letter starts at the bottom of the category-- 4a 6A are on the riveria deck.

8's start at thelowest level for them---depending on what ship.

some ships have corner wrap balconies.

Really would depend on what class of ship you are looking at

suites will look like this:

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2463627420050360393EYOTri

2463627420050360393EYOTri_th.jpg

a regular balcony looks like this

2946939010051643734MzhNFX_th.jpg

you want to make sure your child is already 2 by the day of sailing so they can use the kids camps for play time

DH and I are pretty settled on which cruise line we are going to go with, I am going to a Cruise Night presentation next week just to be sure :)

We are looking at going with Carnival. I am looking at the different stateroom options. I definitely want to have a window or balcony access. We are considering staying in a suite. We have a (will be) 2 year old and want to have space in our room so that if he is sleeping we are not right on top of him and can still go about the room.

Does anyone have any advice about which type of stateroom is best? Have you stayed in a suite? Worth the extra $$$?

Thanks!!

JenPett

If you are interested in having more room, then the suite is the way to go. I have stayed in suites on Carnival, NCL and Royal Caribbean. In my opinion, the suites are not worth the extra cost - unless you really need the extra room.

My first suite was on Carnival. It was my third cruise and since I had been in an inside and an ocean view, I decided to try a suite to see what it was like. Well, it was like a bigger room. It didn't add anything to my enjoyment of the cruise.

On my seventh cruise getting a family suite meant that the six of us could all be in one cabin. That added to my enjoyment of the cruise. That was on Royal Caribbean. The suite was the size of three cabins and cost at least a third more than three cabins would have cost.

My next suite was chosen because of its location - not its size. And I got it for a slight discount ($6,000 instead of $8,000). It was a cruise through the Panama Canal and this was the least expensive cabin with a forward facing balcony. It was the location that made it worthwhile, not the size. That was on NCL.

Holy crap-- wow-- that sure is a lot of money. (but please tell me it was not a 7 day cruise.)

It was thirteen nights. However, there are suites that cost $10,000, $15,000 and even $25,000 per week.

The Royal Family Suite on the Freedom of the Seas in June 2007 was $12,000 for six of us.

i just got back from my first cruise (carnival fascination) and one thing i would recommend is going by camp carnival the first day and registering the 2 year old even if you never plan on dropping the baby off there. We did that with our just under 2 year old. The reason you should do it is because then you will get a shipboard cell phone that you can use to call any extension on the ship. When the baby was napping the person who didnt stay behind carried the phone so when the baby woke up a simple phone call from the cabin could be made for meeting up instead of using pre arranged meeting times. You could also call in room service before heading back to the cabin as well as guest services or anyplace else...

Archived