Choosing 1st cruise with 4 y.o. to Caribbean

hannahi

My husband and I trying to book a cruise sometime in late Feb to the Caribbean. We're generally adventurous travelers, an have been around the world--almost literally--several times with our son but have never been on a cruise. We're taking our 4 1/2 y.o. and had first looked at Disney cruises but decided they were more than we wanted to spend.

It looks like Princess is a little cheaper and is highly recommended for families with young children.

I also don't want to discount other cruise lines, even Carnival though I've heard really mixed reviews.

So let me give you an idea of what is most important to us:

1) Comfortable staterooms with in-room entertainment. In-room wifi would be nice as well.

2) Kids' program or kids' play area. We want our son to have the option of the kids' program if he wants to but we're fine keeping him with us if he doesn't so . . .

3) Activities that the whole family would enjoy

4) We don't care much about the live entertainment options.

5) Also we don't care about formal dining and would rather have the option to order food any time of the day rather than scheduled dining times.

Also in terms of itinerary, we're looking at a 7-day cruise. Would eastern, southern, or western Caribbean be the best?

Let me know which cruise line and itinerary you'd suggest. Thanks in advance!

Hannah

Late Feb., as in the end of this month? If so, you can probably eliminate a lot of sailings by seeing what's still available. Mid-Winter break is the last week of this month for many schools, so lots will already be booked.

AFAIK, all cruise lines with kid's programs offer them for four year olds, so that shouldn't be a problem. Recommend you start by visiting a travel agent that specializes in cruises to narrow your search.

Can only speak for Princess. Cabins tiny but if you can manage a mini suite that would help. If a balcony cabin try for Caribe deck - they are almost twice the size of regular balconies.

I don't think for your son that the itinerary matters too much. Assume you will be looking for beaches. Swimming with sting rays in Grand Cayman is a BIG hit with the kids.

Don't rule out the dining room. Your son may want to go to the kids club in the evening freeing you and your DH Dining is a nice date option! Also the staff there love to spoil the kids and there are good food choices fot them.

My two cents!

Archived