Flight delays

cruzfiend

But, that does nto mean you do not need to be to the airport early.

Just for conversation..an airline has 1000 people who got stuck, flights start today. to get those thousand people out of town, they bump 1000 people...but now they still have 1000 people who need to fly...now they have 2000 unhappy people...etc,etc,etc.

But, they will release seats and fill planes so get to the airport early!

The best thing to do is call your airline. It's standard airline policy that they are not responsible for weather delays and cancellations only delays caused by mechanical and crew issues. The airline will try their best to get you out but will not displace other passengers for you.

Airlines do overbook flights and will deny boarding if there are not the seats on the plane for them to sit in. They typically offer money for people to give up their seats so that they don't have to kick anyone off that doesn't want to be. The last flight I was on (after snowstorms at christmas), it was people that did not have assigned seats that were denied boarding. So if you have a seat number, I really wouldn't worry about it.

Airlines do overbook flights and will deny boarding if there are not the seats on the plane for them to sit in. They typically offer money for people to give up their seats so that they don't have to kick anyone off that doesn't want to be. The last flight I was on (after snowstorms at christmas), it was people that did not have assigned seats that were denied boarding. So if you have a seat number, I really wouldn't worry about it.

I guess this means, book your boarding pass 23 hours and 59 minutes ahead and select your seat. This way you are not likely to be bumped and they will be 99% sure you will show up. That is our plan for Feb. 26 departure (cruise is the 27th).

People booked tend to have priority ... everyone else has to be fit in.

You don't know how relieved this makes me...We fly out Saturday from Rochester, NY to P.R. ..I've been worried about all the cancelled flights from yesterday and today

Given the circumstances, I would check in as early as you can (24 hours ahead typically).

If you have a seat assignment, you should not have to rush to check in at the 24 hour mark. As long as you are checked in by the airline's stated check in time (don't push it, give yourself a few extra minutes), and are in the gate area by the airline's stated boarding time (again, don't push it give yourself a few extra minutes), they will not give your seat away.

From someone who travels frequently, I'd recommend ....

1) If the airlines say arrive at the airport 2 hours early, I'd get there 3 hours early

2) Buy a day pass to your airline club lounge, if available

3) Print your boarding pass the night before. You can still check bags when arriving at the airport.

4) If the airline says BE AT THE GATE 30 MINUTES BEFORE FLIGHT TIME, then I'd be at the gate 1 HOUR PRIOR TO FLIGHT. Airlines have rules that say if you don't present yourself at the gate a certain amount of time PRIOR to the flight, they can consider your seat on the flight as abandoned.

5) Be courteous and friendly to the Gate Agent -- the old saying, "You get more flies with honey then with vinegar" is oh so true when the agent has to decide if anyone gets bumped.

6) If the worst does happen -- you get bumped -- have a fully charged cell phone with you to call the airline reservation staff. Even better, refer to suggestion # 2 above, and go BACK to the airline club lounge. Paying the fee gets you access to some very helpful agents who will do there best to assist ...

Michael

There is also what is called involuntary bumping which can happen even with a seat assignment. But airlines do not like to do this as you are then entitled to big bucks in compnsation in additon to your ticket cost, etc.

Best advice even if you check in online and get a seat assignment you still want to get to the airport early and be at your boarding gate an hour before your flight is scheduled to depart.

Generally airlines do not bump people with confirmed reservations for a flight to accommodate passengers affected by irregular ops as that just upsets even more people. Instead they accommodate those passengers on the first flight with available seats which may or may not be your flight.

Your flight could still be overbooked, in which case they will look for volunteers first before involuntarily bumping someone. They will usually raise the amount of compensation until they get enough volunteers, unless the flight is severly overbooked.

If it gets down to an involuntary bump situation (they try hard to avoid this), each airline has it's own rules for how this is handled. Generally it's a case of last person to check-in is the first person kicked off the flight, but not all airlines follow this. The best thing to do if you are worried about this is check in as far in advance as possible (either online or in person) and make sure you are at the gate well in advance. In the unfortunate event it does get into an involuntary bump situation, remember that they are required to offer you compensation IN CASH. There are a few exceptions, but the amounts are set by federal law.

Archived