Am I a nervous Nellie?

sarahc78

We are taking our 4 boys on their first cruise this May to Bermuda. They are 13, 12, 10, and 4. I am nervous about letting them walk about the ship themselves (well not the 4 year old of course lol) I am scared they will fall over or something.

Does anyone else get this fear? Any suggestions or tips to set my mind at ease.

They won't "fall over" Yes..you're being a Nervous Nellie. They aren't stupid!!!! Lay down some ground rules....they may come from point A to point B....no place else, without notifying you first. There's no reason for them to 'roam", but its fine for them to go specific places on their own, especially if they are together!

It's virtually impossible to FALL off the ship....you have to make a concerted effort! The rails are high!

How many children do you read about each year who fall off of cruise ships? None. Just tell them to stay off the railing :)!

Every time we read about someone falling off a ship there seems to be alcohol involved.

I'd put the same rules as you'd have if you let them loose in a shopping mall, keep off the railings, don't throw stuff overboard, stick together in case they run into a drunk or a perv, know your location to check in regularly (it can be as simple as having them call you in the room from a public phone, or if you are by the pool stop by every hour or 2).

As others have mentioned, falling overboard is difficult and won't happen by accident (i.e. drunk fools or suicides), biggest worry would be running into a weirdo thus stay together for safety.

I'm working from home -- my photo frame is rotating among all my pics. Just saw one of my DD and DH on the NCL Pride of America from when DD was 8YO and the railing was at her shoulder level. Fast forward to last fall in the Med on Celebrity and the railing is just above elbow level on my 5'7" DD. Falling by accident really isn't very likely.

I understand your fear. I have an a daughter who will be 12 at the time of our next sailing and she wants to go off and do her own thing. Part of me wants to give her the freedom, part of me is a little nervous about it. I think it's completely normal to be concerned.

We are taking our 4 boys on their first cruise this May to Bermuda. They are 13, 12, 10, and 4. I am nervous about letting them walk about the ship themselves (well not the 4 year old of course lol) I am scared they will fall over or something.

Does anyone else get this fear? Any suggestions or tips to set my mind at ease.

I understand your fear. I have an a daughter who will be 12 at the time of our next sailing and she wants to go off and do her own thing. Part of me wants to give her the freedom, part of me is a little nervous about it. I think it's completely normal to be concerned.

Our DS was 12 when we went on our last cruise (his first). He really did not meet up with a group of kids to "hang" with (except at the basketball court). Our rule was that if he was leaving the teen area/b'ball court he had to either call the room (if it was later and one of us would be there with DD) or come to where we were and let us know. Most times, he would just go get ice cream or something to eat or to the shops. Also, at night, he would call us and we would come and meet him or we would set up a time to meet.

Archived