Costa - if you are reading this - do the right thing

travelbugBOP

We are booked on the Luminosa from Dubai to Savona from 21 March 2011 - 19 days. When we booked this cruise it was marketed by Costa as UAE, Oman, Yemen and Egypt. Approximately six weeks ago we received advice, through our TA, that Yemen had been cancelled from the calls. Yesterday we received advice through the media, (nothing direct from Costa as yet), that the three stops in Egypt had also been cancelled (understandably!). Unfortunately there also appears to be the possibility of unrest in Jordan so there appears to be a likelihood that Petra may also be cancelled from this cruise. The media release also advised that "No compensation will be given to passengers for the missed ports, as the situation is beyond the line's control.".

This cruise now bears little resemblance, in port stops, to the one that we booked on. We only booked this cruise due to the stops in Oman, Yemen and Egypt. There are two stops in Oman - one which other cruise critic members state appears to be purely a "refuelling stop". As we have travelled extensively in Western and Eastern Europe we are not interested in "alternative" ports that may be provided and would not have spent the signficant amount of money that we have on what will be offered as "alternatives".

I am calling on Costa to do the RIGHT THING and offer a refund to customers for this cruise. Some may be interested in continuing with the "alternative" ports of call, once these are announced, but the option of a refund should be provided when such a significant change to an itinerary is made. Just like other suppliers/producers, who find, due to "situations beyond their control" that they are unable to supply, they do not expect their customers to just accept an alternative, with no discussion, and grin and bear it. Such an event is a "cost of business" and eventualities such as this should be prepared for accepted, and/or insured against.

I am also calling on other cruisers who agree with the essence of this posting to support this thread. No doubt many of you are also caught up in the changes that are happening as a result of the unrest and it is extremely disappointing. But I do not see why the customer should be the one to bear the financial cost of this without the option of refund being provided.

Sorry but I am about to rain on your parade.

Firstly, no itinerary is EVER set in stone, the cruise lines (and that means all of them) are at liberty to alter an itinerary for any reason...whether it be safety, weather or whatever.

They are NOT duty bound to refund your cruise fare...you may get the port fees back, but that is about all.

Last year I was aboard Costa Allegra...we made it into Aden but we had to swap Sharm for Hurghada following the fatal accident in Sharm.

Yes a few were uptight about missing Sharm...but if it is a specific port that you want to go to, then do NOT take cruise cos there is NO GUARANTEE that any port will be visited.

As for the safety concerns regarding Egypt...that could change tween now and when you leave. No-one can say at this time what is likely to happen in Egypt a month or so down the line, so until you get written notice that the ports are dropped, take it as read that you MIGHT get there.

See, told you I would rain on your parade...or should that be rant ;)

The following is taken fron Costa - Pacific region Web site Terms & Conditions:

5.5 The Organiser, and the Captain of the vessel on behalf of this latter, have the right to modify the cruise itinerary due to unforeseen and uncontrollable circumstances or for reasons regarding the safety of the ship or its navigation.

Ron

i totally sympathize with the OP. Your stops in Oman will be interesting. I did the same cruise a couple years ago, and thought Muscat and shalalla were worth the time.

has costa advised what the alternate ports may be? i highly doubt they will be offereing refunds, but i hope you still have a good time.

On the homepage of Costa website, via clickable link....

Costa Cruises announces that all its cruise itineraries calling in Egypt and Tunisia have been modified, cancelling the calls in these two countries and offering alternative port of calls as follows.

In particular:

• for the scheduled Red Sea cruises on the Costa Allegra and Costa Marina, the itinerary will now concentrate on calls in Jordan and Israel, with turnaround operations taking place from Aqaba (Jordan); in order to cater for customers who have already booked on these cruises, Costa Cruises will also offer alternative itineraries and date of departures;

• on Mediterranean cruises on the Costa Pacifica, Costa Allegra, Costa Mediterranea and Costa Atlantica including a one day call at Alexandria, this call has replaced by one day calls in Greece or Israel;

• on Mediterranean 7-day cruises including a one day call at Tunis (Tunisia), this call has been replaced by a one day call at Palma de Mallorca (Spain) Malta or Cagliari (Italy);

Accordingly, the Company confirms that all its cruises are operating normally and running to schedule, the only changes to the itineraries being those due to force majeure mentioned above.

Costa Cruises will resume its original scheduled programmes and reinstate the port of calls in Egypt and Tunisia when in both Countries the relevant authorities in charge declare the restoration of stability and safety conditions.

Costa Cruises considers the safety of its Guests and crew members as a key priority and it is constantly in contact with the local and international Authorities to guarantee the safety of its operations and to carefully monitor the situation evolution in Egypt and Tunisia.

At present there are no changes noted for Luminosa or Deliziosa, however, since no-one knows what the immideate future holds for Egypt, that could change nearer to departure...passengers will be notified accordingly if necessary.

We are booked on the Luminosa from Dubai to Savona from 21 March 2011 - 19 days. When we booked this cruise it was marketed by Costa as UAE, Oman, Yemen and Egypt. Approximately six weeks ago we received advice, through our TA, that Yemen had been cancelled from the calls. Yesterday we received advice through the media, (nothing direct from Costa as yet), that the three stops in Egypt had also been cancelled (understandably!). Unfortunately there also appears to be the possibility of unrest in Jordan so there appears to be a likelihood that Petra may also be cancelled from this cruise. The media release also advised that "No compensation will be given to passengers for the missed ports, as the situation is beyond the line's control.".

This cruise now bears little resemblance, in port stops, to the one that we booked on. We only booked this cruise due to the stops in Oman, Yemen and Egypt. There are two stops in Oman - one which other cruise critic members state appears to be purely a "refuelling stop". As we have travelled extensively in Western and Eastern Europe we are not interested in "alternative" ports that may be provided and would not have spent the signficant amount of money that we have on what will be offered as "alternatives".

I am calling on Costa to do the RIGHT THING and offer a refund to customers for this cruise. Some may be interested in continuing with the "alternative" ports of call, once these are announced, but the option of a refund should be provided when such a significant change to an itinerary is made. Just like other suppliers/producers, who find, due to "situations beyond their control" that they are unable to supply, they do not expect their customers to just accept an alternative, with no discussion, and grin and bear it. Such an event is a "cost of business" and eventualities such as this should be prepared for accepted, and/or insured against.

I am also calling on other cruisers who agree with the essence of this posting to support this thread. No doubt many of you are also caught up in the changes that are happening as a result of the unrest and it is extremely disappointing. But I do not see why the customer should be the one to bear the financial cost of this without the option of refund being provided.

NO LINE,no only Costa will refund your funds!!! REad your policy its the same on any line.You agree to this when you paid your money.:rolleyes:

Hi Goldryder.

For some reason, the cruise that we are on (Costa Luminosa) is not mentioned in this media release from Costa. We have no idea where the new ports will be. It is a repositioning cruise - perhaps they have forgotten they're doing it!

While I agree that the cruise line have the right to change ports I would suggest that Section 5.5 in the policy is there to cover eventualities which occur when at sea or within a few days of sailing, rather than two months out from departure. I find it appalling that such a significant change can be made to an itinerary and customers are just expected to accept it with no option of rebooking or refund. We would never have booked a 19 day cruise to places that we have already been.

Hi Goldryder.

For some reason, the cruise that we are on (Costa Luminosa) is not mentioned in this media release from Costa. We have no idea where the new ports will be. It is a repositioning cruise - perhaps they have forgotten they're doing it!

While I agree that the cruise line have the right to change ports I would suggest that Section 5.5 in the policy is there to cover eventualities which occur when at sea or within a few days of sailing, rather than two months out from departure. I find it appalling that such a significant change can be made to an itinerary and customers are just expected to accept it with no option of rebooking or refund. We would never have booked a 19 day cruise to places that we have already been.

The problem with Luminosa, Deliziosa (and Brilliance o/t Seas, AIDAdiva etc), all of which are due to reposition from the Middle East to the Med in the next few months is that NO-ONE knows how things will unfold in Egypt.

It litterally is changing from one day to the next....it would be foolhardy of anyone to say for definate that Egypt will be happy bunnies again in late March or early April....when a country goes through the sort of upset that Egypt is going through, it is impossible to tell what could happen.

Your best bet is to calm down and wait patiently....for all you know it might just blow over by the time you join Luminosa...at this stage of the game anything can happen...and if, by chance, things are no better, then appropriate measures will be put in place for your cruise, but til that happens (if indeed it does) getting yourself wound up over something out of your control and certainly out of Costa's control does not good for anyone.

Just take a breath, relax and wait and see how things pan out.

You are still more than 4 weeks away - wait and see - things could look very different by then. Should it not the ship will go elsewhere - remember they will not be able to insure their ships and if they cannot do that there is no way in hell they are going to going anywhere near this area.

Bear in mind the lines are in a spin right now watching the situation and making contingiency plans.

I wouldn't worry about missing the Egyptian ports - you'll probably get hijacked by Somalian pirates in the Gulf of Aden.

Ron

Behave Ron :p :p

We got chased by several irate fishermen last year tween Sri Lanka & India...but only saw whales & dolphins in the Gulf of Aden :)

There is a problem with waiting patiently - we leave the antipodes on the 5th March with a round the world airfare - very expensive. We are certainly keeping our fingers crossed that things quieten down. I see on your other posting that Costa have offered the option to the 7 day cruise of "cancel and rebooking". So in effect, is this just a credit which you must use with Costa - or can people opt for a refund if they cancel from that cruise?

There is a problem with waiting patiently - we leave the antipodes on the 5th March with a round the world airfare - very expensive. We are certainly keeping our fingers crossed that things quieten down. I see on your other posting that Costa have offered the option to the 7 day cruise of "cancel and rebooking". So in effect, is this just a credit which you must use with Costa - or can people opt for a refund if they cancel from that cruise?

The cancellation/rebook is for the cruises as per warning from Costa.

You need to give Costa a call, explain your situation and see what they say or suggest. But bottom line is that you have a month before you leave home and ALOT can happen tween now and then...and add the few days prior to reaching the Red Sea on the ship too...it is impossible to say what the situation will be.

The cruise lines are hostage to this just as much as the passengers....they cannot say with any certainty what will happen, any more that we can on this board.

Call Costa, talk to them, go through options but remember its still a month before you leave home and a massive amount can change in that time...quite possibly for the better, you just never know.

You will be lucky if you are given alternative ports of call.

We were never informed by Costa that we would not be calling in Yemen way back in December.

We ended up with 4 days at sea as a consequence they had known well in advance but no alternative had been given.:mad:

So in effect, is this just a credit which you must use with Costa - or can people opt for a refund if they cancel from that cruise?

There is some updated information on the Costa website which sets out which cruises can and cannot be changed, and which cruises you can change onto: http://www.costacruises.co.uk/B2C/GB/Info/costacruises-itineraries_egypt-tunisia.htm

You will be lucky if you are given alternative ports of call.

We were never informed by Costa that we would not be calling in Yemen way back in December.

We ended up with 4 days at sea as a consequence they had known well in advance but no alternative had been given.:mad:

Trixon, Aden is a different kettle of fish.

Look at a map...tween Salalah and Safaga there is no alternate port in existance.

Jeddah in Saudi Arabia, maybe, but the port is not set up any more than Salalah and some nationalities require visa's which may not be available upon arrival...so that rules it out of the playing field when aboard a multinational ship such as Deliziosa. When sailing up the Red Sea, the ship stays in international waters.

Other countries boardersing Red Sea are Eritrea, Ethiopia & Sudan...all completely out of the ballpark for what should be obvious reasons.

Costa Crociere confirms that for Costa Allegra Red Sea Grand Cruise, Costa Luminosa and Costa Deliziosa Grand Cruise from United Arab Emirates, Costa Romantica Grand Cruise from Indian Ocean, the one day calls at Sharm el Sheik, Safaga and Alexandria (Egypt) have been cancelled and replaced by a two-days call at the renowned Israeli city of Eilat. This call will allow passengers to visit Jerusalem as well as the ancient Masada fortress and the Dead Sea.

Any renunciation or cancellation for the above listed Grand Cruises will be regulated as per contractual conditions.

So that is now confirmed for Luminosa...two days in Eilat...not a bad deal really.

The full info...

http://www.costacruises.co.uk/B2C/GB/Info/costacruises-itineraries_egypt-tunisia.htm

The only ones with cancelled cruises are those booked on Marina....

Red Sea cruises departing on 10 February 2011, 17 February 2011 and Red Sea Grand Cruise departing on 24 February 2011 are cancelled.

All guests booked on the 10 and 17 February Red Sea cruises ,may receive reprotection for the same amount paid, on the following departures:

- Costa Allegra, 14 or 21 February 2001, as per new itinerary (Jordan, Israel).

- Costa Pacifica, 19 February, 2 March, 13 March, 24 March 2011, 10-days Mediterranean itinerary (Israel, Greece, Turkey).

All the guests booked on 24 February 2011 Red Sea Grand Cruise may receive reprotection for the same amount piad, on the following departures:

- Costa Allegra Red Sea Grand Cruise, 28 March 2011, departing from Aqaba (Jordan);

- Costa Luminosa Grand Cruise from United Arab Emirates, 21 March 2011, departing from Dubai (UAE);

- Costa Deliziosa Grand Cruise from United Arab Emirates, 3 April 2011, departing from Dubai (UAE);

- Costa Romantica Grand Cruise from Indian Ocean, 3 April 2011, departing from Port Louis (Mauritius);

- Other available spring 2011 departures for Mediterranean itineraries of Costa Concordia, Costa Magica or Costa Serena.

Trixon, Aden is a different kettle of fish.

Look at a map...tween Salalah and Safaga there is no alternate port in existance.

Jeddah in Saudi Arabia, maybe, but the port is not set up any more than Salalah and some nationalities require visa's which may not be available upon arrival...so that rules it out of the playing field when aboard a multinational ship such as Deliziosa. When sailing up the Red Sea, the ship stays in international waters.

Other countries boardersing Red Sea are Eritrea, Ethiopia & Sudan...all completely out of the ballpark for what should be obvious reasons.

So why were Costa still advertising the stops right up until a few weeks before our departure the trouble in Aden was rife well before Costa made up their itineries.

We took the cruise at face value when we purchased it. More fool us. Costa still advertised the stop offs they must have known that there was trouble in Yemen when they were printing their brochures but I guess it wasn't such an enticing cruise with 4 days at sea and no port of calls.

As you say with your cruise knowledge there are not many other places to call off at in that area. I wonder what ports they will come up with now.

Our main reason for the cruise was the Dubai visit and obviously now more cruise lines have added Dubai to their itineries.

What a sad story for rhe whole of that area with the loss of income from tourism. We were in Cairo just before Christmas and it is sad that many will be deprived of seeing and experiencing this wonderful part of the world.

So why were Costa still advertising the stops right up until a few weeks before our departure the trouble in Aden was rife well before Costa made up their itineries.

We took the cruise at face value when we purchased it. More fool us. Costa still advertised the stop offs they must have known that there was trouble in Yemen when they were printing their brochures but I guess it wasn't such an enticing cruise with 4 days at sea and no port of calls.

As you say with your cruise knowledge there are not many other places to call off at in that area. I wonder what ports they will come up with now.

Our main reason for the cruise was the Dubai visit and obviously now more cruise lines have added Dubai to their itineries.

What a sad story for rhe whole of that area with the loss of income from tourism. We were in Cairo just before Christmas and it is sad that many will be deprived of seeing and experiencing this wonderful part of the world.

The Egyptian ports have been replaced with two days in Eilat for Luminosa, Romantica & Deliziosa.

The rest of Marina's cruises in the Red Sea have been cancelled.

Allegra is following a new itinerary from now til she leaves the region that is in the link...

http://www.costacruises.co.uk/B2C/GB/Info/costacruises-itineraries_egypt-tunisia.htm

Late spring/summer cruises aboard Pacifica, Atlantica & Mediterranea have cut Alexandria.

Now...Azamara has a ship in the area and they will be at sea constantly now from Dubai right to Santorini, then ending at Athens.....no ports at all in the Red Sea.

Other ships coming in from Dubai are Brilliance o/t Seas, AIDAdiva, ou have the world cruises with P&O and Cunard, repositions by Seabourn too...

This is a massive logistical nightmare with very few port options available.

The lines and ports have done the best they can with what little they have got IMHO.

Costa haven't as yet come out with the day by day itinerary for the Luminosa trip. I've contacted them but no reply to date. We may well end up with five days at sea between Salalah and Aqaba (as Safaga was the inbetween stop) and still only one day in Aqaba (as for the previous itinerary). I am hoping they will add another day in Aqaba, otherwise with the four deleted port stops and only two days in Eilat we will end up with nine days at sea - half the itinerary!!!

Costa haven't as yet come out with the day by day itinerary for the Luminosa trip. I've contacted them but no reply to date. We may well end up with five days at sea between Salalah and Aqaba (as Safaga was the inbetween stop) and still only one day in Aqaba (as for the previous itinerary). I am hoping they will add another day in Aqaba, otherwise with the four deleted port stops and only two days in Eilat we will end up with nine days at sea - half the itinerary!!!

That is still better than Azamara Quest who have a non stop sail from Dubai to Santorini.

But...and I am not saying this to be horrible...

I feel a reality check is required here.....you will be on a ship, with 3 or 4 meals a day, waited on hand and foot and basically cossetted in luxury....

Ans while you are enjoying the hospitality on board Luminosa....hundres of thousands of Egyptians are struggling to find food, water and a future life in their own country.

Set aside that situation, nine days at sea on a cruise ship is not so bad really.

Hi Goldryder,

While I appreciate the situation of the Egyptians and empathise with them - this is not what this thread is about. While we enjoy cruising, my husband and I take a cruise primarily to get from port stop to port stop. We paid for this cruise (which as you will know, was quite a significant amount of money) to see parts of the world that we hadn't seen before (Oman, Yemen and Egypt) - not to sit on a ship and be cossetted in luxury and waited on hand and foot! We would not have booked a cruise that had nine days at sea!

Our issue is over a cruiseline being able to change an itinerary to this extent without offering customers the opportunity to either rebook or obtain a refund. I see that they have offered refund to the seven day cruise. I am asking Costa "to do the right thing" and also offer this to the longer cruises that have been severely impacted on by this event.

Hi Goldryder,

While I appreciate the situation of the Egyptians and empathise with them - this is not what this thread is about. While we enjoy cruising, my husband and I take a cruise primarily to get from port stop to port stop. We paid for this cruise (which as you will know, was quite a significant amount of money) to see parts of the world that we hadn't seen before (Oman, Yemen and Egypt) - not to sit on a ship and be cossetted in luxury and waited on hand and foot! We would not have booked a cruise that had nine days at sea!

Our issue is over a cruiseline being able to change an itinerary to this extent without offering customers the opportunity to either rebook or obtain a refund. I see that they have offered refund to the seven day cruise. I am asking Costa "to do the right thing" and also offer this to the longer cruises that have been severely impacted on by this event.

With all due respect, Costa could have cancelled the cruise...as they have with the remaining season of Costa Marina...but they have not.

Instead they have given you an overnight stay in Eilat...again they could have given you two more days at sea instead of Eilat.

I am sorry but you paid for a cruise consiting of a certain number of days with port calls that are not guaranteed along the way.

The situation is not the fault of Costa (or any other line caught up in this mess).

There are no perfect solutions....life would be so much easier if there were. Whatever Costa do, there will always be those who do not like it...no-one can please everyone, all of the time....but they are trying to make the cruise as reasonable as they can in a situation that is not of their making, they have no control over Egypt and the cruise that you chose has probably the least choice of alternate ports available.

Not ideal for you, maybe, but in the grand scheme of things you are still going on a cruise...whilst others, like CC member Kasi, is now trying to sort another one out after her Costa Marina cruise was cancelled.

You will not get any compensation as there is no compensation due...the reasons for the changes have been clearly described and if you have any doubts about safety issues, look in the media. These changes were not made on a whim, they were made to make the best of what is an almost impossible situation...end of story.

Archived