Live From the Decks of the Mercury The Final Two! 2/5/11 & 2/14/11

tuggers

it breaks my heart to know that most everything is being dumped. dinnerware, linens, furniture..................it should at least be donated, or auctioned off...........

anyone want to go dumpster diving..................this might make a good special for pbs..............:D

loved the deck chair comments, i needed a laugh today............:)

I'm shocked that they aren't using a company that will strip and sell the contents. Especially for as green as Celebrity claims to be.

Some of the furniture was "looking shabby" but deck chairs were fine, the blankets we used on our own balcony were pretty new and so were our bed linens. Our robes were threadbare however.

It really bothers me that they would toss it. That's just bad business sense. They could donate it and than deduct it as a loss.

Gail -- I'm glad you had a good trip home. It is nice to know that the Captain is going to the Connie -- we will be sailing on her March 26:D

Also, you really should try Azamara -- we sailed on the Quest in 2008 and we just loved it. She only carries about 600 passengers so it is quite a different experience.

The pictures posted of Mercury were excellent. I'm so glad we got to sail on her last year one more time.

Lucy

My wife and I just got off the final sailing (decommissioning) of the Murcury. It left from Baltimore for the carib. and returned to Baltimore. We did not know this was a decommissioning cruise until we had made our final non-refundable payment.

As the cruise ended they started to run out of food. The portions got VERY small and the seconds were tough to come by. They started removing items from our suite as early as three days before we arrived back. It was like living in an eviction. Things like the magazine rack, fruit bowl and other things kept being removed.

At one point some of the bars were running out of diet coke and the pool grill ran out of relish and other items. Its as though they were trying to stock just enough for the last drop on the last day.

The lobster tail was only half a tail and very small and when one of our table mates asked for a second, he was given the shell with mashed potatoes in it.

The crew was very upset the last few days and some of them reflected it in their service. They were not being told until the last day or so if they would be reasigned and if so to which ship or just sent home.

Many of the art works on the lounge walls were being removed two days before arrival. It was a very unpleasant experience.

I think Celebrity needs to make it known at the time of initial booking if there is anything unusual about the trip. When we did find out that this was a decommissioning trip, we called Celebrity and were assured that all food and service would remain unaffected for the entire trip. This was clearly NOT the case and has left a bad impression about this company.

I would not recommend a decommissioning cruise for anyone and this cruise was far below the prior Celebrity standard that we had become accustomed to on our prior Celebrity cruises.

from

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1369293

My wife and I just got off the final sailing (decommissioning) of the Murcury. It left from Baltimore for the carib. and returned to Baltimore. We did not know this was a decommissioning cruise until we had made our final non-refundable payment.

As the cruise ended they started to run out of food. The portions got VERY small and the seconds were tough to come by. They started removing items from our suite as early as three days before we arrived back. It was like living in an eviction. Things like the magazine rack, fruit bowl and other things kept being removed.

At one point some of the bars were running out of diet coke and the pool grill ran out of relish and other items. Its as though they were trying to stock just enough for the last drop on the last day.

The lobster tail was only half a tail and very small and when one of our table mates asked for a second, he was given the shell with mashed potatoes in it.

The crew was very upset the last few days and some of them reflected it in their service. They were not being told until the last day or so if they would be reasigned and if so to which ship or just sent home.

Many of the art works on the lounge walls were being removed two days before arrival. It was a very unpleasant experience.

I think Celebrity needs to make it known at the time of initial booking if there is anything unusual about the trip. When we did find out that this was a decommissioning trip, we called Celebrity and were assured that all food and service would remain unaffected for the entire trip. This was clearly NOT the case and has left a bad impression about this company.

I would not recommend a decommissioning cruise for anyone and this cruise was far below the prior Celebrity standard that we had become accustomed to on our prior Celebrity cruises.

from

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1369293

I take real exception to this. I was on the same cruise and I never saw any of this except the relish.

Portions were plentiful on my plate to the end and anything we wanted extra was available, with one exception. We always got an extra plate of steamed veggies with dinner. I like peas. On the last night there were no peas. Big deal.

Nothing was removed from my cabin. Not even the extra robe. More shampoo, conditioner, body wash appeared right up to the last day.

I had diet coke on the last night. Never any mention of anyone having to go to another bar to get it.

They did run out of the relish packets two days before the end. Big deal.

The lobster has been a half tail since they went to the Lobster Melange.

Almost everyone working onboard that I talked to (and I talk a lot :D) knew where they were going, when they were going by the first few days of the cruise. No one visably upset that I saw. Some said they hoped to do only one contract on their ship, but no one upset.

Hard to believe I was in those lounges and missed seeing blank spaces where the art work had been.

With the exception of the lunch I wrote about earlier, all our service was top notch.

I also know from talks with Chef Walter that their stores were not going to run out.

This posting you quoted derf did not reflect the experience I had nor that of any of my friends.

We did not experience any of this. Our magazine rack was removed early, but since it is only in the way, I was glad to see it go. The food portions were the same as always. The staff were all as helpful as they always are. Every crew member we talked to knew exactly where they were going - some going home for vacation before their reassignment and others going directly to the reassignment. We thought the cruise was wonderful. Our only disappointment was that Celebrity did not do anything special to commemorate this as the last cruise.

I kept trying to think what the magazine rack was that sailor 731 said was removed. Thought some of you may have had something special in your cabins that I didn't get. :) This morning it hit me. The plastic one that takes up valuable space on the desk. It was a big deal to take that???? Mine was still there on disembarkation day but can't say it would have been a big deal if it was taken!:rolleyes:

I always stick the magazine rack under the desk, or behind the couch - because it takes too much room. The magazines from the rack appeared on top of our VCR near the end of the cruise - so I assume the rack disappeared. Our robes were in the room when we disembarked.

None of our food or beverage choices ran out - except for grated cheese for spaghetti. DH noticed, but not a deal breaker for him.

We are both so sad to see Mercury go.

Sorry to anyone that did not have a great cruise - we did.

We did not experience any of this. Our magazine rack was removed early, but since it is only in the way, I was glad to see it go. The food portions were the same as always. The staff were all as helpful as they always are. Every crew member we talked to knew exactly where they were going - some going home for vacation before their reassignment and others going directly to the reassignment. We thought the cruise was wonderful. Our only disappointment was that Celebrity did not do anything special to commemorate this as the last cruise.

Ditto! We had plenty of food the last night and the crew as always was fantastic!!! No one lost their job according to the head Maitre D. I miiss my crew already. Jill

Even though it's been in the high 70's here every day I do miss the ship, the crew, the ocean and the Almond Croissants. And the Cappuccinos and Mimosas! Guess I'll be pulling out the Espresso machine soon.

Can't get in the pool yet but can lay around it so that has helped the transition back to real life a little.

My big, bad, protection trained GSD developed separation anxiety while I was gone. The Great Dane was fine as was the Schnauzer. Not sure the cat even knew (or cared) I was gone and the bird only missed my scrambled eggs with cheese!

Back to the real world. Rats! Got to book something for May I guess!

Jill, I was at the right place at the right time, which really encompassed a 30 min window, as that was how long it took the crew to line up. Captain Frantzis wanted to have the picture, so he arranged it and I took my picture along side of the ship photographer.

Joe, that WAS a fantastic pic. I thought it was a professional promo or something!! I printed it out (I was on the sailing) to be included in my memory book.

I wonder what time that picture was taken?:D

I wonder what time that picture was taken?:D

11;29am....says so right on that big clock on the upper deck.....;)

Of course, we do indeed presume the clock was right.....The Germans probably ''decommissionned '' it the moment every pax was off the vessel....:cool::rolleyes:

Cheers

Thanks, Howard!

As I don't expect to sail from Baltimore again any time soon, I really tried to see you on these last few trips. Alas, you've become too much in demand! You were needed places I couldn't go!:rolleyes:

Gail, Just finished reading the last of your posts. Although it was not the same as being there, it did give us the flavor of Her last voyage. Hope we run into you again someday. Aside from our Bermuda cruise in May, we have no other cruises planned. We did book a trip to take our grandson to Disney World in October which should be a lot of fun. Every time we have crab cakes at G&M we'll be thinking of you. Jay & Carla

Jay, nothing booked past May?? That must be driving Carla MAD!!:)

We sure did enjoy visiting with you guys! I know there was a reason you couldn't do the September Infinity but can't remember what it was????

Jill, I was at the right place at the right time, which really encompassed a 30 min window, as that was how long it took the crew to line up. Captain Frantzis wanted to have the picture, so he arranged it and I took my picture along side of the ship photographer.

Joe,What a coincidence!This is the same photo hanging on the wall on deck 5 with many other photographs of the Mercury and staff.

Just exactly where was this "special" photo taken?It must have been very warm and the deck cleared for what seems to be an identical photograph.It is very easy to use a camera to photograph a photograph!:rolleyes:

Gail,

I have Stewart's pic downloaded but I managed to misplace your e-mail.

My life has been drastically changed since returning home. Day after returning, husband went to hospital for 4 days and came home with a diagnosis of congestive heart failure. We are being optimistic, and I am learning a new way to cook. :( No cruises in my foreseeable future.

Anne

Gail,

I have Stewart's pic downloaded but I managed to misplace your e-mail.

My life has been drastically changed since returning home. Day after returning, husband went to hospital for 4 days and came home with a diagnosis of congestive heart failure. We are being optimistic, and I am learning a new way to cook. :( No cruises in my foreseeable future.

Anne

Anne, I am very sorry to hear this. I will keep you both in my prayers. Stay strong and remember you have a family here on CC. Jill

Joe,What a coincidence!This is the same photo hanging on the wall on deck 5 with many other photographs of the Mercury and staff.

Just exactly where was this "special" photo taken?It must have been very warm and the deck cleared for what seems to be an identical photograph.It is very easy to use a camera to photograph a photograph!:rolleyes:

You're not implying anything '' improper '' done by Joe here, are you ??

???

:(

Archived